+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We made our best offer to Smallwood

We made our best offer to Smallwood

As the Millers and midfielder Richie Smallwood go their separate ways, the management team say they offered their best deal to the 26 year old. - External Link

So if we offered the best deal we could possible and he goes and signs for somebody like S****horpe or whatever then what does that say about us. I will try not to be too bothered though because we have a top 5 budget in the division apparently so happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by millers88 View Post
    So if we offered the best deal we could possible and he goes and signs for somebody like S****horpe or whatever then what does that say about us. I will try not to be too bothered though because we have a top 5 budget in the division apparently so happy days.
    All the contracted players except the 3 signed from January onwards (and Danny Ward) have had their salaries reduced by 25%, I believe Smallwood was offered his salary of last year minus 25% as well. Seems pretty fair as does his decision to try somewhere else.
    As for a top 5 budget, even with the reductions, I imagine we have 5 of the top 20 highest paid players in league 1 so thats not saying too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Footymad View Post
    As the Millers and midfielder Richie Smallwood go their separate ways, the management team say they offered their best deal to the 26 year old. - External Link
    Did we really offer the best? Sounds to me that it's all about the money and rightfully so for any player with a wife and family but it's definitely peanuts time by the sounds of things.

Non league players and focusing on a 32 year old from league 1 that even his last club aren't willing to offer him a contract.

Worrying times indeed,

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Did we really offer the best? Sounds to me that it's all about the money and rightfully so for any player with a wife and family but it's definitely peanuts time by the sounds of things.

Non league players and focusing on a 32 year old from league 1 that even his last club aren't willing to offer him a contract.

Worrying times indeed,
    We can't afford to offer championship wages to players now we are in league 1 Brin. We have lost all the TV money and attendances will fall markedly next season. A 25% reduction is more than fair and we won't have much room to manouvre until we get the highest earners out. Blackstock, Ward and Broadfoot take up a very large chunk of our budget and aren't going to play much if any part for us next year.

Barkers says 'We made the best offer we could with the finances that were available and Richie decided it wasn't for him, We all understand that he's been an integral part of the football club over the years and was a bit of a fans favourite but we did the best that we could with what we had available."

Those words say it all.

At least when we see where he goes, we'll know at least one of the four clubs in league one that have a bigger budget than us!

I'm not sure it's as simple as that.
    Don't get me wrong something is clearly not adding up at the moment.
    I think it's more about who wanted Smallwood and who didn't which is why he's not staying rather than just the finances.
    UTM

One thing that is emerging from the confusion and inconsistencies is that not everyone at the club is on the same page. Some are not even reading the same book.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    We can't afford to offer championship wages to players now we are in league 1 Brin. We have lost all the TV money and attendances will fall markedly next season. A 25% reduction is more than fair and we won't have much room to manouvre until we get the highest earners out. Blackstock, Ward and Broadfoot take up a very large chunk of our budget and aren't going to play much if any part for us next year.
    Tony I get all the - 25% Etc and with Ward gone soon which knew would happen that is some of the budget you sometimes HAVE to use to keep key players. The manager should have the balls to take on a challenge from any player that knocks on his door and says I want the same as Smallwood had we kept him, thing is we haven't got that type of manager.

As for your closing statement does that mean no one will be bought or over paid the norm until those three are gone cos if it is we are well and truly doomed to oblivion and there is no budget!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast