+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scotland v England

Scotland v England

Having just watched the game what are your thoughts overall? For 85 minutes Scotland never looked like scoring due to the negative tactics of the manager with only Griffiths up front. England were not much better but did look to carry a threat especially with Kane but importantly he was ably supported with midfield players giving much quicker support up front. Both goalkeepers did nothing to enhance their reputations with Gordon badly at fault for the first and looked culpable not coming for the cross at the equaliser. Hart is just Joe Hart always looking vulnerable and I can think of many keepers who would have stopped both of Griffiths free kicks. Pleased for Griffiths as though his work rate alone and his heart deserved his goals especially as it was clear no one else was going to be allowed to take the free kicks. Let's not get carried away with the last few minutes as Scotland although showing plenty of effort lack real quality over the pitch and we were fortunate to come away with a point which probably will not be enough.
    Discuss!!!
    Last edited by Spikefaethesouth; 10-06-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Having just watched the game what are your thoughts overall? For 85 minutes Scotland never looked like scoring due to the negative tactics of the manager with only Griffiths up front. England were not much better but did look to carry a threat especially with Kane but importantly he was ably supported with midfield players giving much quicker support up front. Both goalkeepers did nothing to enhance their reputations with Gordon badly at fault for the first and looked culpable not coming for the cross at the equaliser. Hart is just Joe Hart always looking vulnerable and I can think of many keepers who would have stopped both of Griffiths free kicks. Pleased for Griffiths as though his work rate alone and his heart deserved his goals especially as it was clear no one else was going to be allowed to take the free kicks. Let's not get carried away with the last few minutes as Scotland although showing plenty of effort lack real quality over the pitch and we were fortunate to come away with a point which probably will not be enough.
    Discuss!!!
    England are a mediocre side but have quality in the team we can only dream of. I thought we did OK and I don`t have any problem with the tactics employed. We had to defend deep or the pace England have would potentially have ripped us apart. Tactics while not easy on the eye kept a poor side in the game and thanks to 2 moments of real quality came within a bawhair of a famous win.

Very good summing up of the match by Spike with the Sunday Mail's reporter Mr Ralston and BBC Scotland's TV pundit
    panel also critical of Gordon at both goals. With the inferior quality of the players at Strachan's disposal in the end it was
    a good point with 4 games to go in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    England are a mediocre side but have quality in the team we can only dream of. I thought we did OK and I don`t have any problem with the tactics employed. We had to defend deep or the pace England have would potentially have ripped us apart. Tactics while not easy on the eye kept a poor side in the game and thanks to 2 moments of real quality came within a bawhair of a famous win.
    I agree with your appraisal and being a mere bawhair from a win was very frustrating however to me this was a must win game with the draw doing us no real favours. How are we to win when we play with only one striker up front who lack any decent support for the majority of the game? I would have like an up and at them positive approach and stuff the reputation of the English who flattered to deceive as normal. Perhaps this approach would not have earned us anything from the game but I like my Scotland teams to go out and have a go rather than meekly trying to contain the opposition, it was not Brazil, and hope for a break away goal. If we continue to adopt this approach the esteem of the players will just crumple especially at home against average opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    I agree with your appraisal and being a mere bawhair from a win was very frustrating however to me this was a must win game with the draw doing us no real favours. How are we to win when we play with only one striker up front who lack any decent support for the majority of the game? I would have like an up and at them positive approach and stuff the reputation of the English who flattered to deceive as normal. Perhaps this approach would not have earned us anything from the game but I like my Scotland teams to go out and have a go rather than meekly trying to contain the opposition, it was not Brazil, and hope for a break away goal. If we continue to adopt this approach the esteem of the players will just crumple especially at home against average opposition.
    I maintain that Strachan`s tactics kept us in the game. 2 moments of inspiration meant the game was won if Armstrong passes the ball left instead of right just before England score. We are a very average side (and that`s being generous) so I think Strachan got his tactics spot on. All about opinions though.

Walking out of Hampden yesterday it felt like a defeat . The noise when Griffiths scored the second was unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    I maintain that Strachan`s tactics kept us in the game. 2 moments of inspiration meant the game was won if Armstrong passes the ball left instead of right just before England score. We are a very average side (and that`s being generous) so I think Strachan got his tactics spot on. All about opinions though.
    You are quite right Dobmeister in that it is all about opinions and I fully respect yours and others. Let's just be thankful for a draw at the end of the day although 2-1 would have been very nice especially as I have to face my English colleagues tomorrow and the opportunity to have gloated for once was untimely ripped away.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)