+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pacmans Annual Donington Review 2017

Pacmans Annual Donington Review 2017

Friday 9/6
    After Thursdays highly enjoyable pub crawl in Ashby-de-la-Zouch we started off the weekend festivities by heading into Castle Donington for a few pint at the local hostelries as the start of the weekend music was a bit sh@te with nothing to see. Fine days for beer gardens too. We ended up at Donington Park for around 3pm in glorious sunshine

Sabaton
    We were faced with huge bar queues on arrival so ended watching these guys from a distance. Nae my cup of tea and never have been.

Mastodon
    Next up these heavy heavy dudes from Atlanta. Always been a fan since I saw them support Slayer many moons ago. Their albums are always good and their live shows are always tight as f@ck. Good set

Suicidal Tendencies
    I love these guys. The addition of Dave Lombardo on the drums seems to be a master stroke to. (best in the business in my eyes). Mike Muir whipped up the crowd throughout but he didn’t need to with tunes like “War Inside My Head” and “Subliminally”. Another f@cking affa good set

Baroness
    These guys almost called it quits after a tour bus crash. Glad they didn’t as going on first opinions of seeing them live they are pretty good at what they do. Pretty f@cking heavy. Must get more of their stuff

Prophets Of Rage
    Was looking forward to these guys as I thought they had the potential to be ace but there was no need to be as they were a poor Rage Against the Machine tribute act

System Of A Down
    Only watched 30 mins of their set as were waiting for Exodus to start. Have to say though what I saw was decent “Aliens” is a cracking tune live. “The Prison Song” was also good entertainment. I remember seeing them at Leeds a few years back and they were ace so I bet the rest of the set was really good

Exodus
    Since getting Zetro back in on singing duties they have excelled. I think seeing a band in a tent adds something special and Exodus were no exclusion. Pretty pissed by the time they came on but the perfect amount to lose my sh@t and love every minute. “Blood in Blood Out”, “And Then There Were None”, “Salt The Wound” “Bonded By Blood”, “The Toxic Waltz” all in there. F@cking magic and a great way to finish the evening*

*maybe not as great as getting a taxi back to Ashby without Pacbro and only for him to get back at 3 am.

Saturday 10/6

Tax The Heat
    Got ourselves in nice and early as I wanted to see these guys as id heard a few tunes on the Radio before. Shame they only got half an hour as they were a decent solid rock n roll band. Will buy their new album

Sikth
    These guys are cracking and that doesn’t change on stage either. Excellent musicians, and a special mention to the bassist. He slaps a mean thundering bass

Suicide Silence
    I had never heard of them before this and they were utter dirge. I feel bad that ive seen them

Kvelertak
    Only watched as my pal loves them. Nae too sure of them. Would buy an album, put it that way. Sound a bit like a poor mans Turbonegro when it came to riffing.

Max & Iggor Cavelera, Back To Their Roots
    It was good but I still find it to be a sell-out tour as they slag Sepultura at every chance then go out and play a Sepultura album (most of it) good to see “Ratamahata” and “Roots Bloody Roots” though

Coheed and Cambria
    Have a lot of time for these dudes and haven’t seen them for a while,so that added to the excitement for them. Didnt let me down. Excellent proggy metal, with a f@cking great singer in Claudio Sanchez. Under rated band of the weekend (by others and nae me). Dinna leave it so ;ong next time dudes

Devin Townsend Project
    Speaking of proggy metal with a great singer another great set from another great band. Hes also a great frontman as hes a genuinely funny dude and has been every time ive seen him in his many guises. One of Pacbros favourites.

Sunday 11/6

Orange Goblin
    Missed the first half as the f@cking stewards were being jobsworths. Only caught three songs

The Dead Daisies
    Love these guys and they didn’t let us down. Doug Aldrich is a f@cking excellent axeman. Too short a set. Canna say much more than that

Red Fang
    Hadnt heard these guys before but was recommended by Pacbro. Very much like Mastodon, that canna be a bad thing. Will be buying some stuff

Devildriver
    Just nae a fan

Anathema
    Love their early stuff, seen them before but they have changed their sound and are as dull as dishwater. Let down of the weekend

Ministry
    You dinna ken what you are going to get with these guys especially junkie supremo front man Al Jourgensen. Luckily for the however many thousands that watched them they was mezmorizing, absolutely f@cking mindblowing. Starting with “Pslamn 69” and the set including “NWO” and “Just One Fix” to close it was a great blast from the past. Best band of the weekend at the point they walked off.

Clutch
    Typical set from Clutch, they always put a great show on and I should ken as im well into double figures in seeing them terms. Very good live band who you all should see. Some of you might even like them. ectio

Opeth
    Started off well but I found they went on a bit and I was bored by the end. But maybe that had something to do with the next band

Slayer
    The main event. I f@cking love Slayer. Into Double fingers with them too and this was to be the best time ive ever seen them. On f@cking fire. A gigantic sonic dropkick in the moo. Blew the aforementioned Ministry away.The usual classics (including my favourite song “Dead Skin Mask”) but played to f@cking perfection. Tight as a dolphins butt. Quite possibly the best thing ive ever seen at Donington which is quite a statement as ive been 14 times. I will never get sick of “Angel of Death”, “Raining Blood”, “Disciple”, “Chemical Warfare” etc etc. Especially when played with such ferocity. Thank you Slayer. Jeff may be dead but that hasn’t seemed to affect you.

Aerosmith
    Watched 5 tunes and left for a taxi before the rush. You know what you will get. We missed “Don’t want to Miss A Thing”. A bonus in itself. Got “Livin on the Edge” and “Janies Got A Gun” also a bonus

Great weekend overall, the rain stayed away which is a rarity, ive actually gotten sunburnt. If I do have a complaint I could have gone a wee rain shower to keep the dust down. The booze certainly flowed big time(bar Sunday as I have to drive Monday). and hanging oot with Pacbro all weekend was a hoot. We dinna do it often enough. Thank f@ck I was in a hotel as I don’t think my aging body could handle camping nowadays. But Ashby-de-la-Zouch is a cracking wee town and I eagerly await the moron brothers Thursday pub crawl next year.

No Enter Shikari this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    No Enter Shikari this year?
    Definitely worthy of throwing piss at

Nae much on there for my tastes these days. Would like to see SOAD at some point tho - thought they had split.

Coheed are decent. Good Apollo Vol. 1 is a cracking album. Picked up the record recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Skacel View Post
    Nae much on there for my tastes these days. Would like to see SOAD at some point tho - thought they had split.

Coheed are decent. Good Apollo Vol. 1 is a cracking album. Picked up the record recently.
    No IV is much better, but to be fair they are all good

Try oot any Clutch as well

Aye, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Nae Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Skacel View Post
    Aye, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Nae Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow
    Aye min that's the f@cker. The black covered volume 1. I got confused. Just ken it as the roman numeral

Decent spazz moment fae me
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 13-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks for the review Pac min. I don't know if Donington is the festival for me tbh, I think I recognised 5% of the bands you saw. What stage were Belle and Sebastien on?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    No IV is much better, but to be fair they are all good

Try oot any Clutch as well

Braw review Pacmannie you did a better chob than the one I read in Classic Rock the morn

Slayer are the business as are Exodus nae muckle else I'd cross the road fir though, Aerosmith are a joke and should pack it in, Anathema and Opeth should be prescribed as insominia remedies utterly dull as fck.

Max Cavalera denies his heritage Sepultura and his own output have been 3rd rate since Roots.

Cannae go wrong with Clutch and Ministry, Coheed are decent outfit too.

I preferred it in the days of Monsters Awf Rawk 5 killer bands one stage and a fcking hoot, last went in 96 ffs