+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Grenfell Tower fire

OT: Grenfell Tower fire

I used to live in the shadow of this block and still have friends in the area. Early days I know but can I say now that this is going to be one of the biggest scandals ever to emerge in the UK and another example of complacency and incompetence among professionals and politicians.
    Firstly, for those of you who don't know the Grenfell Tenants' Action Group has for years argued the block (and others like it) was a fire deathtrap but the council and management group has repeatedly dismissed concerns. See the November 2016 blog from the group which virtually predicted this terrible event.
    Secondly, the block was only built in the 1970s and recently refurbished. Architects, building inspectors, fire prevention officers and politicians have always maintained that rapid spread of a fire in such a block is an impossibility.
    Thirdly, anyone living in a high-rise block, particularly those of a similar design, should be very worried.
    Watch this space: I repeat, this will turn out to be a scandal of huge proportions.

Yes it might open a huge can of worms.

I've often wondered about those cladding panels they stick on the outside to beautify the outside appearance.

They might be "fire retardant " but any small gaps between panel and wall will act as a chimney if s fire breaches a window.

Design apart there are also stories about dodgy washing machines, vape chargers and other mass produced rubbish that can cause fires. Even electrical overloads to power cannabis growing isn't beyond possibility.

If the panels are the major factor it's going to cause widespread concern because it's now a widely used practice in the UK mainly to chase energy reduction targets, ie an insulation issue. There must be many of similar structures in the UK. I drove past three yesterday up by Sheffield University

Some of my work is in trying to prevent the manufacture and use of counterfeit and 'dodgy' electrical products. It's sadly the case that in most cases it takes a tragic or susprising event before there's concerted attention on something. For example in the US they started taking counterfeits seriously when they found missiles had lots of counterfeit electronics in them...Qatar it took buildings burning down...I think you're right Monty that this will be it for tower block fire safety.

Already comments saying fire alarms could not be heard in rooms. It seems another tragedy that could have been avoided. Cutting costs to gamble with lifes .

Capitalism at it's best !

Top dollar for smallest cost...equals profit.

Not too much safety and / environmental thoughts in the capitalists Bible. Look at Trump now....tearing up environmental laws to suit big business.....

Can't understand why the automatic water sprays don't kill the flames in these things....rather get wet through than burn!

Sad fact of life that it takes something like this for action, if some fire alarms didn't go off then it only takes a minute to be checked which is something you can do yourself in most cases.
    Terrible to watch.

RIP to them that didn't make it and speedy recovery to the injured.

Attachment 4912

A parliamentary committee has been chasing THIS GOVERNMENT to learn the lessons of previous incidents that were not dissimilar to this tragedy.

Tories = Money / profit.

The owners of these companies are getting top dollar for these contracts and yet less than the best materials and standards are used.....these are the guys buying the LUXURIOUS CARS that are selling like hot cakes.

The Parliamentary committee chairman
    ( an ex fireman) has been calling for a revision of regulations controlling these buildings - apparently - if this building was built today it would be fully fitted with water sprinkler systems.....

.......Due to the towers age it was exempt from these regulations....

How can that be ?......Cost perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    A parliamentary committee has been chasing THIS GOVERNMENT to learn the lessons of previous incidents that were not dissimilar to this tragedy.

Tories = Money / profit.

The owners of these companies are getting top dollar for these contracts and yet less than the best materials and standards are used.....these are the guys buying the LUXURIOUS CARS that are selling like hot cakes.

The Parliamentary committee chairman
    ( an ex fireman) has been calling for a revision of regulations controlling these buildings - apparently - if this building was built today it would be fully fitted with water sprinkler systems.....

.......Due to the towers age it was exempt from these regulations....

How can that be ?......Cost perhaps ?
    The tower is still upright and smouldering.

How come the twin towers in 9/11 collapsed?

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    The tower is still upright and smouldering.

How come the twin towers in 9/11 collapsed?
    Why don't you start another thread to ask that question...ridiculous fishing...

Totally opposed construction techniques. Read and learn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collap...d_Trade_Center

I suspect that a few thousand gallons of aviation fuel may have made a slight difference.

Oh...he's gone
    Last edited by Geetarman; 14-06-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast