+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Glenn Whelan

Aston Villa have already had a bid of £500,000 pounds turned down for the defensive midfielder as they are asking for double that amount.

Gary Rowett could now be willing to pounce for the defensive midfielder as he is a huge admirer of his defensive capabilities.

Strong experienced player and one of the old guards at Stoke under the Pulis era. If Gary Rowett is a huge admirer of the player it can only be a good thing and we welcome him with open arms.

Personally think Whelan would be an excellent addition to the Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    Aston Villa have already had a bid of £500,000 pounds turned down for the defensive midfielder as they are asking for double that amount.

Gary Rowett could now be willing to pounce for the defensive midfielder as he is a huge admirer of his defensive capabilities.

Strong experienced player and one of the old guards at Stoke under the Pulis era. If Gary Rowett is a huge admirer of the player it can only be a good thing and we welcome him with open arms.
    Who's we? Personally I think thorne will fill this roll in the coming season, so unless he is brought in as back-up, or we are going to play two holding players in midfield there is no point in spending another half million or so on a 33 year old.

Hope I'm wrong but can't see Thorne ever being the player he was! Will he be fully committed into hard tackles in a 50/50 I don't think so myself.

I agree, I think Thorne is finished

Sad to say I think Thorne may be a busted flush, but I hope not. The idea of 2 DMs is an interesting one - then the full backs could be released forward much more. Until we know GT fate though, it may be no harm to get cover: although is the fact that we are looming for cover indicative that the club know more than they have let on.

What I dont quite understand is how "we" know Rowett is a big fan of Whelan's defensive skills. Have I missed an interview somewhere or is it just another guess dressed up as fact?

Thorne is a ticking time bomb a fragile player if you will, and we don't know how long he will last on the pitch if he returns before he picks up another injury so Gleen Whelan is ideal to bring in as a precaution.

I don't think he'd be back up Personally, good all round player, very experienced, another captain possibly? Set piece taker aswel which we've lacked for some time. Yes id say he's a bit more defensive now as he's got older but that would only add more balance to our midfield options

I'd say that Whelan would be a first team player, more like Thorne would be the back up, IF he gets fit, Whelan has the expereince, the fitness and the ability to be a potential "midfield general".

Stoke have accepted a £1million bid from Derby but Whelan is waiting to see if Villa come back in for him? If he isn't 100% committed to joining Derby I'd look elsewhere. We have let Hughes go because he told Rowett he thought it was the right time for a move. Daft having players who aren't 100% committed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)