+ Visit Burnley FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 30 minute halves and other ideas

30 minute halves and other ideas

Some interesting suggestions, which seem ok to me - how about you?

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".

Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded.

Other ideas include a stadium clock linked to a referee's watch and a new rule allowing players to effectively pass to themselves or dribble the ball when taking a free-kick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889
    Last edited by oldcolner; 18-06-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Link

Old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I am very much with BT on this. FIFA et al have messed about with The Laws of the Game and their interpretation for whatever reason and yet they have not improved the game, in fact, they seem to be trying to sanitise the game and take away any physical contact whatsoever. The only thing I would agree with is to revert to the old system that a goalkick should be taken from the side on which the ball went out of play. That change has led to more legal time-wasting than anything.

An interesting read and some good brainstorming in the interests of improving the game.

Sometimes authorities are accused of burying their heads in the sand, but not in this case. I hope something comes from it.

The next step seems to be moving forward with some of the ideas while discarding the rest. The 60 minute game just seems to be going too far

I think they are worth trying. Rugby union has 40 min halves and maybe soccer could use they too. I think it makes the end clear but allows the team in possession to play till they lose it. It also means once you have possession you can kick it out after time is up. 30 mins is said to be how long the ball is in play so they will need to be fitter!

At the moment, with all the timewasting and referees inevitaby taking well over a minute to organise a free-kick just outside the penalty area, we get around 60 minutes actual playing time. Under the proposed new system, we play 30 minutes per half and stop the clock when the ball goes out. So we get 60 minutes actual playing time, around the same as we get now. So why bother ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I think they are worth trying. Rugby union has 40 min halves and maybe soccer could use they too. I think it makes the end clear but allows the team in possession to play till they lose it. It also means once you have possession you can kick it out after time is up. 30 mins is said to be how long the ball is in play so they will need to be fitter!
    Then you end up with farcical manipulation of the "rules" like we witnessed in a recent Rugby international.