+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Brexit talks

Quote Originally Posted by footy_le_bordel View Post
    Think there's a bit of wishful thinking going on here.

What the Commission actually said:

Once triggered, can Article 50 be revoked?

It was the decision of the United Kingdom to trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed. Article 50 does not provide for the unilateral withdrawal of the notification.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...17-2001_en.htm

They can't unilaterally revoke the article, but might with the say-so of the other side.

BTW, the other side- namely, Tusk and the head of the EU parliament - have suggested the process is reversible.

fingers crossed, eh?
    There's just the small difficulty of both Labour and the Tories accepting the result of the referendum, and the inevitability of us leaving the EU, in their election manifestos. I know these politicians are congenital liars and their election promises often worthless, but if both reneged on their commitment to leaving the EU, as they would both have to for us to attempt to withdraw our application, constitutional crisis would hardly describe what would follow.

It's my understanding that the EU commission re-iterated the impossibily of revoking Article 50 as much to their own negotiating team as to anyone else, in an attempt to keep them moving forward with the process, and not prevaricating hoping for a change of heart by Perfidious Albion.

Blinking heck Sinkov, you said that you were dropping this because it is boring everyone.

I have heard the following politicians (along with many others) saying that until the article 50 negotiations are completed then Britain can change it's mind and stay,

Angela Merkel
    Emanuel Macron
    Donald Tusk (President of the European Council)
    Lord Kerr, the author of the actual Article 50 bill
    Guy Verhofstadt (chief EU Brexit negotiator)
    Vince Cable

In fact, I haven't heard anyone suggesting that we cannot change our mind - apart from you.

Right! No more from me on this issue - promise :-)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7790886.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/816...for-Government

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ould-remain-eu

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ould-remain-eu

Come on guys, I 've told you before, just chill --there is absolutely nothing any of us can do about any of this rubbish except to await the eventual outcome and hope that life will go on without too much hassle. I doubt it though! Meanwhile, we have a football team to support!

I hadn't mentioned it again 59/60, until OC mentioned Vince, and his apparent desire to fight the referendum again, so you'll have to blame him.

All those good people you mention above, you'll have to refer them to what the EU Commission says , they run the EU, and they say it can't be done, Article 50 is irreversible. Which is just what I've been saying all along.

Only one way to settle this Sinkov - I challenge you to a game of FootGolf at Towneley.

The loser has to publicly admit that they were wrong on here.

And we can have a two hour argument on the way round.

I am a 64 year old dodderer but still have a right foot like a combined harvester.

This could prove to be the ideal way that politicians bury their hatchets in future.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Only one way to settle this Sinkov - I challenge you to a game of FootGolf at Towneley.

The loser has to publicly admit that they were wrong on here.

And we can have a two hour argument on the way round.

I am a 64 year old dodderer but still have a right foot like a combined harvester.

This could prove to be the ideal way that politicians bury their hatchets in future.

:-)
    Well you've got seven years on me 59-60, and I have to wear glasses due to my poor eyesight. Do I get a start ? As for the two hour argument, I expect we'd find far more that we agreed on than either of us might have imagined.

Sounds like a game that's likely to catch on to me, I'm surprised no one's thought of it before.
    Last edited by sinkov; 22-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.

71 years old is nowt Sinkov.

A friend of mine and his wife regularly go for organised walks of 100 miles - and they are older than us. In fact they are organisers of events.
    https://www.ldwa.org.uk/

Tell you what I will do, I will only kick the ball with my right foot. You can use either.

I can't be fairer than that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)