+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/T What is your favourite wine?

Don't mind wine now and then but never a great fan. Beer for me.

I have my favourites but am willing to have a crack at any bitter. I would not totally slag lager off. In certain parts of the world the very cold lager style beers can be mightly refreshing.

When I was a youthful drinker many would drink 'blends'. Notably light and bitter, cider and Guiness, lager and bitter and particularly the very popular brown and mild which turned a lot of my mates into very fat ba5tards very quickly. I doubt whether drinking like this is popular today
    Last edited by Q165; 24-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    I don't drink any beer without it being chilled. Most pubs give you the choice if you are buying bottled beer, and most keep their real ale pretty cold from what I've experienced (thankfully). My dad used to drink half and half then in the mid 70s turned to lager and lime all of a sudden. I wish I'd asked him why.
    My dad used to sup a pint of mixed, which I think was both mild & bitter. He was never a lager man either.
    Anyway Chris, all the best for today kid, hes a pint of Double Diamond for you. Enjoy it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    My dad used to sup a pint of mixed, which I think was both mild & bitter. He was never a lager man either.
    Anyway Chris, all the best for today kid, hes a pint of Double Diamond for you. Enjoy it!!
    Does Double Diamond still exist?

Double Diamond was awful.

For some reason we used to call a pint of bitter-and-lager a "Mickey Mouse". Haven't heard that name for years.

Does Double Diamond still exist?
    Im not sure if it does or not, and from what Ive heard, we're not missing it one little bit are we ?
    Now, wheres that Party Sevens can, Im going to burst that open tomorrow.

Watneys red barrel was the most despised beer in Britain at the time. I dont think Davenports beer at home was much better either.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Watneys red barrel was the most despised beer in Britain at the time. I dont think Davenports beer at home was much better either.
    And all the red pubs...yeuk

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    And all the red pubs...yeuk
    "Beer at home means Davenports,
    That's the beer, lots of cheer,
    The finest malt with hops and yeast
    Turns a snack into a feast.
    Straight from brewery to your home,
    Why collect? We'll deliver.
    Soon you'll know why folks all say,
    'Beer at home means Davenports'
    Cheers!"

Maybe I'm wrong and it's all so long ago but I thought Davenports was considered quite a reasonable pint?

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    You say that Phil but both Watney's Red Barrel and Double Diamond were big, probably the biggest sellers back then. There adverts were always on TV. Were they only drink at home beers? That's the only time I recall drinking either, at parties. They were about at the start of my adulthood but don't recall them in pubs. Maybe they were in the pubs but not around here. The choice here tended to be between Whitbreads and Courage with the odd M&B lurking here and there.

You say that Phil but both Watney's Red Barrel and Double Diamond were big, probably the biggest sellers back then. There adverts were always on TV. Were they only drink at home beers? That's the only time I recall drinking either, at parties. They were about at the start of my adulthood but don't recall them in pubs. Maybe they were in the pubs but not around here. The choice here tended to be between Whitbreads and Courage with the odd M&B lurking here and there.
    Don't forget "Davenports means beer at home" actually delivered to your door, it was horrible though. .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)