+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T - "Retch Over Troubled Warblers"

O/T - "Retch Over Troubled Warblers"

Once or twice in an Album, Stevie Wonder (for instance) would make you feel that he was crying over a line in his songs. He would sound as if he really meant the words.......and it was quite moving.

But today's singers try to copy that in nearly every line, pretending to feel soulful. It's pathetic! And then they move their hands about as if they're feeling emotion, when all they are doing is posturing.

The latest Geldof-style get-together (which no Manager could let their acts miss out on) is the hour long
    "Bri-i-i-idge O-o-o-ver Trou-trou-trou-troubled Wa-a-a-a-a-ter"
    (which Simon & Garfunkel managed to sing in about 3 minutes).

I feel sorry for the youth of today if they really believe that the get-together is primarily aimed at raising money for the tragic casualties at Grenfell. (It's not - it's a career move by the wailers, same as Geldof in his day). I also feel sorry if they believe that s-i-i-i-i-i-nging like they're in a Gospel is being soulful and original.

I know I'm a miserable old git, but I can't understand why they don't actually sing the words, instead of shouting them, and keep roughly to the tune. It would be far more musical, even original, and I might feel like buying the record.

(I feel better now.)
    Mr.Angry

Your singing from the same hymn sheet as me TS,every time one of these charity SOS songs come out they just ruin them,last one that comes to mind is he ain't heavy he's my brother and anyway why don't these talentless super rich pop stars just dig deep in their pockets and donate some of their extortionate cash they are in possession of? Instead of subjecting us to their tiresome constant awful warbling and wailing

I heard it yesterday, it's an absolute shocker isn't it? Also, like you say it's there to promote their careers as much as raise money. They should merely dig deep and hand over a few hundred thousand each as Andy Murray is. Not my favourite sportsman but he is donating any money he wins at Queens to the cause.

Simon Cowell upon hearing the finished cut exclaimed it gave him the chills and I can see why

Without You, a superb classic by Nilsson was utterly ruined by Mariah Carey, the greatest travesty in pop music ever!

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    I heard it yesterday, it's an absolute shocker isn't it? Also, like you say it's there to promote their careers as much as raise money. They should merely dig deep and hand over a few hundred thousand each as Andy Murray is. Not my favourite sportsman but he is donating any money he wins at Queens to the cause.
    Do you reckon that's why he went out in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Without You, a superb classic by Nilsson was utterly ruined by Mariah Carey, the greatest travesty in pop music ever!

Ok it might sound naive but I thought Bob Geldof was genuine when he came up with the idea of a 'Live aid' concert.
    However it should have been a one off and the 'Live aid Two' thing was just a shameful rip off. And as for Bono allegedly arguing that he should sing the same line again, well that doesn't surprise me.
    I do agree though that modern re-makes of songs sound appalling when singers try to add their own style of 'emotion'. It just comes across as extremely fake!

In today's internet driven world why can't some trusted institute set up a crowd funding appeal and spare our ears all this false luvvy driven drivel

Live aid wasnt the first pop concert for charity was it '53, I think George Harisson and friends did one in the early 70s for example.
    Were they ever accused of fakeness and 'just doing it to further their own careers' etc like the modern day singers get accused of ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)