+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build For The Championship

Build For The Championship

Would you prefer to be building over a long spell to get back into the Championship?

Or

Would you prefer to be back there struggling and adding when we can?

Would like to get back in championship only if we have a squad capable of doing better... L1 for a few seasons then

For me I would rather see a longer term development in place than going up and coming straight back down.

So promotion it is next season then 😜

I know we'd struggle again and would be destined for another quick return but in football there are no guarantees, you have to take what you can when you can. Besides I'd rather be entertaining Sunderland than Southend and visiting Wolves than Walsall. (Plus the fact that I reached 70 last Sunday which means that I don't have time for long-term planning )

Up 2 in 2 then 3 years struggle, no thanks. It was a struggle when we went up before in Emlyns time. Yes we got good gates but who wants to see their team constantly losing and the players demoralised. I feel we need a good solid season then go for promotion the following year with only minor changes to the team. That should save on the budget to enable greater investment when we go up.

I don't think it matters which path we follow because, if we ever do manage to get promoted, we will struggle.
    The Championship is the most unequal league in England and small clubs with comparatively small budgets will inevitably find themselves battling against relegation.
    I think the majority of our more sensible supporters probably understand this but not many of us would accept a season as truly awful as the last one.
    And that's the dilemma.......

Quote Originally Posted by leedsmiller View Post
    I know we'd struggle again and would be destined for another quick return but in football there are no guarantees, you have to take what you can when you can. Besides I'd rather be entertaining Sunderland than Southend and visiting Wolves than Walsall. (Plus the fact that I reached 70 last Sunday which means that I don't have time for long-term planning )
    70 is the new 50 Leeds. Get planning 😀

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I don't think it matters which path we follow because, if we ever do manage to get promoted, we will struggle.
    The Championship is the most unequal league in England and small clubs with comparatively small budgets will inevitably find themselves battling against relegation.
    I think the majority of our more sensible supporters probably understand this but not many of us would accept a season as truly awful as the last one.
    And that's the dilemma.......
    It was a great time with Warnock,who can forget the scenes at Hillsborough and MK Dons
    I wouldn't mind that again,great stuff whatever your age.

If we're ever gonna progress in the championship then we need to get promoted from this division with a squad the average age of 24 at the most imo. We need to be shrewd with the recruitment in league 1 and try and get a young team to gel who have the potential to be premiership players in the future whether that's 3 or 4 seasons down the line. Signings like Potter and Ball isn't the answer if we really looking to be ambitious.

Even if we build a great young squad and get promoted, money dictates they will be sold off to try keep us there

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast