+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ot Long hard road ahead...

ot Long hard road ahead...

Brexit: Juncker fecked us off already. Can't see Theresa May as being strong enough to carry this through. Even if you are a tory I don't believe you would think she could either. We are truly in the shyte I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Brexit: Juncker fecked us off already. Can't see Theresa May as being strong enough to carry this through. Even if you are a tory I don't believe you would think she could either. We are truly in the shyte I'm afraid.

Yep she needed that bigger mandate, so effectively the minor "success" by the Corbynites has put is in a mess.

Looks like we will end up with a hard Brexit now

We'll end up with a very soft exit and its bloody brilliant outcome from the election. May has inadvertently saved our country from complete disaster.

We simply need another General Election , the earlier the better .

Once Labour are elected with a majority and a mandate from the centre of the party that seeks access to the single market we can all carry on with our lives .

The Tories are not fit for purpose and can't be trusted to negotiate on the country's best interests given they seek only what's best for the tory party .

The shadow boxing is over and now the tories are receiving some early jabs and are unable to respond .

The stupid woman's toxic with the EU having spent the last 10 months telling the EU how it's going to go down and threatening a tax haven if they don't comply .

We need a different approach through Jeremy Corbyn and Keir Starmer who both have the integrity to negotiate properly and don't have the " big I am " approach .

Call the election you stupid woman and be gone .

Tend to agree with John think it will be that soft the brexit we may as well have not bothered voting to come out. When people look back at this at the turn of the century they will say what a waste of time that was...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 23-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yep she needed that bigger mandate, so effectively the minor "success" by the Corbynites has put is in a mess.

Looks like we will end up with a hard Brexit now
    Just shows how out of touch some people are, there's no way she could get away with hard brexit now, no way whatsoever.

Brexit was always going to be a long hard road. Anyone who thought otherwise was either forgetting or ignoring the fact that the terms of our exit would not be decided by the UK alone.

For the politicians, the domestic difficulty is that it will be impossible to deliver what was promised by the Leave campaign. It was always impossible. On immigration, for example, it is inevitable that fairly large numbers of people will continue to arrive, simply because certain industries, notably agriculture and hospitality, will grind to a halt without them.

I don't see the outcome of the election having any bearing upon the negotiating stance that the EU takes. The majority, or lack of one, that May has is, irrelevant to the EU. The reason that she wanted a larger majority was to have a greater chance of exerting her will when the schism within the Tory party over the EU inevitably rears its head.

As for the opposition, it will be interesting to see whether they will work with the government to try to deliver the best deal possible deal for the UK or will put party politics first and simply throw spanners in the works at every turn.

Just get us out - slam the doors and we'll negotiate independent deals country by country....

If they put tariffs on us - we'll reciprocate.
    Then they'll suffer the trade barriers

HOWEVER - THEY can't treat us any worse than they do the rest of the world SO DON'T FEEL THREATENED BY TARIFFS - EXISTING LAWS REVERTS A PUNITIVE DEAL. EITHER WAY...

"prevents" a punitive deal. Either way...

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Just shows how out of touch some people are, there's no way she could get away with hard brexit now, no way whatsoever.
    I think it's all quite murky and difficult to read. On the one hand you have the rabid right who want the 'hard' brexit to assume control of employment rights, health and safety legislation and all the things that cost business money and reduce profits.

On the other you have the soft brexiteers, which may include again big business that want to keep immigration plentiful in order to prop up a cheap wage economy!

Very split on the right and on the left too really with many, quite rightly defending and celebrating the cultural diversity and contribution to the economy that uncontrolled immigration brings but possibly not as aware of how cynically immigration has and is being used to fuel cheap labour. To such an extent that a quick hard brexit that genuinely 'pulled up the shutters' and sent economic migrants back home in mass numbers would most likely cripple our economy and services.

I guess the 'jobs first' line is the most sensible line to take; aiming to retain as much flexibility on the Euro trade borders as possible, as little tariff and bureaucracy as possible whilst gaining a sensible 'supply the jobs demand' principle to migration (although for me, to match other EU countries in taking a fair share of refugees). I would also support the raising of the minimum wage so that unskilled jobs on offer encourage UK citizens to come out of the benefits trap and get to work.

Easy this brexit thing innit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast