+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Could Pulis Walk?

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    I'm pretty certain Dave Thomas made his Burnley debut in the match at our place which we won 8-1. He looked far too small and frail ever to make it as a top player. That day was a Bobby Hope masterclass.
    I remember it well. I had never seen a result like that before

A lot of people on here talking about spending money. Its about quality not how much £££'s we spend,

Just to give you an idea of our recruitment down the years;

Gareth McCauley - Free
    Jonny Evans - £7m
    Craig Dawson - £400k
    Claudio Yacob - Free
    Chris Brunt - £3m
    Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
    Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
    James Morrison - £1.5m

This is just off the top of my head. Those players have helped us develop through the years and have cost virtually nothing. Look at how much Kante, Mahrez and Vardy cost Leicester.

We probably can't compete with the top 12/14 teams in the Prem. So lets buy wisely, it doesn't matter how much money we spend, it matters that they're the right type of players.

Spot on, 123.
    Trouble is - even more so the last year or 2 - if we went to Hayes to spend today's equivalent of £5,000 on a budding Cyrille they'd probably want £20m, knowing that weve got it! (Maybe that's why we've publicly stated we've got £40m to spend (and not £80m).

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    i ain't renewed yet either and am having doubts also. I would not class Huddersfield of having more ambition. Surely their goal is to survive next season as is ours.
    Reading through the thread and although their views are welcome. I tend to ignore what other teams supporters think of us. I also ignore what professional pundits think. They don't pay to watch us. Believe me it's completely different when you pay to watch the rubbish we serve up. In other words I'll decide when i should feel happy not when somebody tells me when i should
    Like this post...where's the button?

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    A lot of people on here talking about spending money. Its about quality not how much £££'s we spend,

Gareth McCauley - Free
    Jonny Evans - £7m
    Craig Dawson - £400k
    Claudio Yacob - Free
    Chris Brunt - £3m
    Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
    Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
    James Morrison - £1.5m

This is just off the top of my head. Those players have helped us develop through the years and have cost virtually nothing. Look at how much Kante, Mahrez and Vardy cost Leicester.

We probably can't compete with the top 12/14 teams in the Prem. So lets buy wisely, it doesn't matter how much money we spend, it matters that they're the right type of players.
    Big problem is we lost 'Dan the man' to the FA, it will take another special one to fill his boots...Garlick failed miserably.

Gareth McCauley - Free
    Jonny Evans - £7m
    Craig Dawson - £400k
    Claudio Yacob - Free
    Chris Brunt - £3m
    Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
    Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
    James Morrison - £1.5m

The list of failures would be much, much longer.
    We've done well to consolidate a place in the top flight over the last 8 years or so but we have next to no squad whatsoever at the moment and our efforts to recruit seem to be almost non existent. Charlie Taylor could have been one to go on the good list and would have cost very little in today's market yet we have let him slip away.

Gareth McCauley - Free
    Jonny Evans - £7m
    Craig Dawson - £400k
    Claudio Yacob - Free
    Chris Brunt - £3m
    Youssuf Mulumbu - £150k
    Peter Odemwingie - £1.5m
    James Morrison - £1.5m

I agree with your last sentence, but I do get the feeling that some will not be satisfied unless we buy players in the £20 million + category.

Have had a look into what Leicester paid for those players you mentioned; by far the most expensive was Kante at around the £5.6 million mark, whereas both Vardy and Mahrez were very cheap - Vardy went to them for a fee of £1 million, rising to £1.7 million with add-ons ( that was a Non-League record) and Mahrez cost them around the £400k mark.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)