+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Pulis Walk?

Could Pulis Walk?

If we don't have a strong summer in the Transfer market, could he do to us what he did at Palace and walk at the start of the season?

If he did, I would seriously fear for us next year

Mate, I flippin fear for us every season, nothing changes and nothing suggests that this season will be any different from all the seasons Pulis as been in charge. Pulis was appointed initially to keep us in the Prem and every season will just be a continuation of the same mentality, to keep us in the prem.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Mate, I flippin fear for us every season, nothing changes and nothing suggests that this season will be any different from all the seasons Pulis as been in charge. Pulis was appointed initially to keep us in the Prem and every season will just be a continuation of the same mentality, to keep us in the prem.
    One day & soon even TP won't be able to keep us up- old & threadbare squad- clearly no ambition other than survival- it will end badly and it will end worse if TP walks .
    I hate his football but with the resources you have to respect what he has done.
    And he has a reputation to uphold - never relegated- is a strong claim to any chairman.... so leave now, reputation high Albion 10th!!!!- wait for when January come around & get a bumper pay day.
    And who could blame him- unloved by fans, starved by Board- it has the makings of a bad season and it has not even started!!!
    Tell me- & show me I'm wrong- please

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post

As a devoted Burnley fan, I don’t see what you West Brom fans are complaining about, your club appears to be run as a business and should be commended for doing so. Your ownership group are doing a good job at maintaining PL status, realistically that’s all you can hope for, there’s no way clubs such as yours can compete with the upper echelon without placing the club in financial jeopardy. Pulis is one of the better British managers and he’s doing what he’s paid to do, which is maintaining the status quo. I don’t need to remind you guys about the former PL clubs who overextended and ended up in ruin. Burnley are run in a similar businesslike fashion, although a couple of steps behind you and let’s say, Stoke. I’d bet my last $ that Burnley would love to be in your shoes.

Enjoy the ride.

I don't doubt you at all matey. There's loads of big clubs that would trade places with us right now, we only have to look down the road at our Championship neighbours to see that and sometimes you have to be thankful for what you have.

We'll never be able to challenge the top 7 in the prem either with their finances. I suppose most people on here are fearful that we could become the next Sheffield Utd or Nottingham Forrest and be stuck in the bottom reaches of the championship or worse. Especially as we have new owners and aren't 100% sure about their intentions. I've heard other fans say that that would rather be in the Championship and play good football. Pulis will keep us up, I'm pretty confident of that and if its like last season there will be some entertaining games. But some of our away games leave a bit to be desired, especially against teams in the bottom half of the table where we don't have many efforts on goal or much to shout about. It would also be nice to have a cup run every now and again, maybe I'm being a bit greedy.

Having said that, you have hit the nail on the head. We can't complain about where we are as a football club and if we finish 10th again next season it will be another amazingly good season. I'm always grateful we play premiership football. I went up in the 90s and couldn't see us ever making it to the prem, especially watching the likes of Grimsby, Stockport and Walsall beating us at the Hawthorns. I remember Crewe putting 5 past us in one home game.

P.S. Always had a soft spot for Burnley. Hope you stay up again next season. After us of course!

Quote Originally Posted by exilecanada View Post
    As a devoted Burnley fan, I don’t see what you West Brom fans are complaining about, your club appears to be run as a business and should be commended for doing so. Your ownership group are doing a good job at maintaining PL status, realistically that’s all you can hope for, there’s no way clubs such as yours can compete with the upper echelon without placing the club in financial jeopardy. Pulis is one of the better British managers and he’s doing what he’s paid to do, which is maintaining the status quo. I don’t need to remind you guys about the former PL clubs who overextended and ended up in ruin. Burnley are run in a similar businesslike fashion, although a couple of steps behind you and let’s say, Stoke. I’d bet my last $ that Burnley would love to be in your shoes.

Enjoy the ride.

Good sensible post and that's what most supporters of other clubs say and also professional pundits. Trouble is, some of our supporters have grand illusions ( like West Ham fans did with Big Sam ) in that, finishing 10th or not playing ***y football is not enough. With very little investment from the previous owner/and looks like the same with the new owner, Pulis will strategically set up the squad he has to get a result - who would blame him!

You are also right - many clubs like West Brom in the lower half, would love Pulis just to stay in the premiership.

The old saying in life is so true - be careful what you wish for!

Good luck this season and will be in the upstairs bar at the cricket club for our first away game at yours!

Enjoy the ride.
    Not one Albion fan on here Canada wouldn't disagree with what your saying about the big 7 in the division , we all know we can't compete. But to see a few goals & a bit of attacking football would be nice once in a while when we spend our hard earned money thank god Burnley are in the league its one of a few teams we do score against ,

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

P.S. Always had a soft spot for Burnley. Hope you stay up again next season.

Thanks, a number of people have gained respect for my little club. We’ve come a long way since being one loss away from demotion from the Football League and obscurity in ’87. As usual though, we’re favoured for relegation next season, nothing much changes. Sean Dyche and the board have done a magnificent job, long may they reign, although from all accounts were in danger of losing Dyche to Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Not one Albion fan on here Canada wouldn't disagree with what your saying about the big 7 in the division , we all know we can't compete. But to see a few goals & a bit of attacking football would be nice once in a while when we spend our hard earned money thank god Burnley are in the league its one of a few teams we do score against.

Therein lay the root of the problem, strikers cost the most money which smaller clubs can’t, or won’t, shell out silly money for. Look at Defoe, he’s nearing the end of the line and apparently Bournemouth are offering him silly money.

As for you lot scoring against Burnley, both clubs play a similar style. If sure if both managers had their way, they’d leave the ball in the centre circle, never to be touched and settle for a 0 – 0 draw.

Enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)