+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could Pulis Walk?

Though it's somewhat overcast outside and on here, let's not be too despondent yet, the window hasn't opened give it at least till end of July, and if nothing changes then let the wailing begin.

Relax everyone enjoy the summer, the wheels of Albion grind slowly but surely.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    You do the Clarets an injustice buddy...I can remember when Burnley were referred to as 'The Academy of Football'...during the Bob Lord era. I have a lot of Burnley friends that would go berserk at the inference of them being a 'little club'....

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Totally agree. In the early sixties they were one of the top sides in the country. I remember such names as McIlroy, Pointer, Miller, Adamson, Connelly, Blacklaw, etc. All of these would be worth a fortune today.

Well well gentlemen, I AM impressed with your knowledge. I’m more than aware Burnley were a major power back in the day. I attended the majority of home games for many years, including the European Cup games. I attended Maine Rd (Manchester) when Burnley won the old First Division in 59/60 and Wembley when we lost 2 – 1 to Spurs a couple years later. We produced top level players like a well oiled assembly line mainly due to intense scouting in the North East and Northern Ireland and nurtured the recruits at our Gawthorpe training facility, the first of its kind if memory serves. Incidentally, Gawthrorpe was recently renovated to a modern training facility, hopefully to attract higher end prospects.

Bob Lord was a tyrant, he’d sell his mother if the price was right, however selling was the only way the club could survive and as the maximum wage was abolished, wages and transfer fees went up to the point of almost no return and the club went into a tailspin, hence the tumble down divisions and near extinction. The town went crazy when he sold Jimmy McIlroy to Stoke for 25,00 quid, to build a new stand if memory serves.. Jimmy Mac still lives in Burnley.

As for describing Burnley as a little club. We are a little club, always were, always will be, a population of 75 k, bigger towns such as Blackburn, Bolton and Manchester on our doorstep. At the moment we’re fighting above our weight, and carrying minimal debt, long may that continue.

How could we (old 'uns) forget that 1960 team (missed out Brian Pilkington, Tommy Cummings (who went on to take the Villa down, as Manager), and my favourite Alex Elder the LB. We used to take "the Burnley short-corner" in the playground, which no one had seen before. And how sad we were when Spurs won the Final that year!

I'm pretty certain Dave Thomas made his Burnley debut in the match at our place which we won 8-1. He looked far too small and frail ever to make it as a top player. That day was a Bobby Hope masterclass.

No AMBITION

Can anyone tell me what Mr Williams and the his scouting team do to justify their salary's Pullis can only work with what his is given which seems to very little just scraps. God help us if he leaves he might not play attractive football but he can send out an organised team which is why we are still in the Premiership.
    Why does no one from the club come out and make a statement to inform us what is happening also I think the captain left not for money he could see no ambition coming from the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    i ain't renewed yet either and am having doubts also. I would not class Huddersfield of having more ambition. Surely their goal is to survive next season as is ours.
    Reading through the thread and although their views are welcome. I tend to ignore what other teams supporters think of us. I also ignore what professional pundits think. They don't pay to watch us. Believe me it's completely different when you pay to watch the rubbish we serve up. In other words I'll decide when i should feel happy not when somebody tells me when i should

It's rubbish because, we lack quality in certain positions, and have a thread bare squad. Even our Captain went to Stoke for more money - that tells you something!

It will still be rubbish this year, if we buy players that no other premiership club wants, because they are either rubbish, or a gamble may come off.

Only one person can change rubbish to quality - and he's the little chap in China. Sunderland were rubbish ( not so much because of Moyes ) because they had a rubbish squad and this is what happens!

PS - if we get Rodriquez he's a gamble, because he's still very injury prone and don't see a couple of Saints supporters, I know crying.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    It's rubbish because, we lack quality in certain positions, and have a thread bare squad. Even our Captain went to Stoke for more money - that tells you something!

It will still be rubbish this year, if we buy players that no other premiership club wants, because they are either rubbish, or a gamble may come off.

Only one person can change rubbish to quality - and he's the little chap in China. Sunderland were rubbish ( not so much because of Moyes ) because they had a rubbish squad and this is what happens!

PS - if we get Rodriquez he's a gamble, because he's still very injury prone and don't see a couple of Saints supporters, I know crying.
    I am unsure on Rodriguez mate. But no striker will do well the way we play. I get your points about lack of spending but on the flip side you can pay a fortune for rubbish. Take John Stones or West Hams signings last year.
    All players cost virtually nothing at some point. It's just finding them at the right time. We probably already have but Pulis will never play or sign kids. He'll never take a chance on them. Leko may have been the option to save us money. But he never played him when there was nothing at stake. So when is he going to play him?

To answer the original question. I hope Pulis walks and fast. But he won't and why should he? He has smoke blown up his back end by people who never see us. When anything goes wrong it's never him. Two and half years it's his squad No one elses.
    Thanks Tone but enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    I am unsure on Rodriguez mate. But no striker will do well the way we play. I get your points about lack of spending but on the flip side you can pay a fortune for rubbish. Take John Stones or West Hams signings last year.
    All players cost virtually nothing at some point. It's just finding them at the right time. We probably already have but Pulis will never play or sign kids. He'll never take a chance on them. Leko may have been the option to save us money. But he never played him when there was nothing at stake. So when is he going to play him?

To answer the original question. I hope Pulis walks and fast. But he won't and why should he? He has smoke blown up his back end by people who never see us. When anything goes wrong it's never him. Two and half years it's his squad No one elses.
    Thanks Tone but enough is enough.

Personally don't think the kids are good enough yet and not over impressed that much, when they have played. Leko needs to be loaned out, and for me Field is decent but too light weight.

Love him or hate him ( Pulis ), and aren't no fan but are realistic - with the same squad for 17/18 and NO Pulis - we will be well and truly fecked. So if you want him gone, you either are praying for a huge gamble, or you want championship football.

Can't see Lai investing any more than Peace - that's two bob taking into account payrole as well! Fletcher went just like Long and Philips - we did not tempt them with you guessed it - THE GOING RATE!

Blame the Board/Owner for crap! You don't blame the store manager at Poundland for now stocking products which are £3/£4 - you blame the Board!!!!
    Last edited by baggieal; 28-06-2017 at 06:09 PM.

National Sh!t the Bed Day seems to come around quicker every year .

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Personally don't think the kids are good enough yet and not over impressed that much, when they have played. Leko needs to be loaned out, and for me Field is decent but too light weight.

Love him or hate him ( Pulis ), and aren't no fan but are realistic - with the same squad for 17/18 and NO Pulis - we will be well and truly fecked. So if you want him gone, you either are praying for a huge gamble, or you want championship football.

Can't see Lai investing any more than Peace - that's two bob taking into account payrole as well! Fletcher went just like Long and Philips - we did not tempt them with you guessed it - THE GOING RATE!

Blame the Board/Owner for crap! You don't blame the store manager at Poundland for now stocking products which are £3/£4 - you blame the Board!!!!
    Trouble is mate you can blame the manager of Poundland when he puts the products on the wrong shelves and in the wrong place.

Not the boards fault our players can't pass to each other, not the boards fault the players weren't motivated to finish the season in a professional manner. It wasn't the board who played Brunt on the right wing. It wasn't the board who was working for ITV last summer when they should have been actively trying to recruit players.
    Please mate look at the form this calendar year. Then tell me that Tony Pulis is the only manager in the entire universe that can keep us up. With a straight face.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)