+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Confederations Cup?

O/T Confederations Cup?

Anyone watching this? Great 1st semi final today. Chile V Portugal. Should have been 7-3 Chile at full time but it finished scoreless after extra time and went to penalties of which Portugal scored zero!

I don't like Alexi Sanchez really, goes over too easy sometimes, whines and always waving for a card against somebody, but $hit what a player, non stop today, left absolutely nothing on the field. Arsenal will be in deep doo doo if he leaves.

Second semi tomorrow, Mexico V the Hemet Heads, should be a good one.

Watching these teams just reinforces the impression that there is a massive difference in class between them and our sorry national side.

Plodders to the man really.

I've been watching when I can. Hard to with it on while I'm at work. Chile could make it three international trophies in three seasons with a victory over Germany (most likely) in the Final. Great work by Bravo to deny three penalty kicks. When was the last time a goalie stood out in a shootout like that? Rather see saves than misses. Pep is wondering where that Bravo was during the Prem season.

Sanchez is one of my favorite players in the world. His motor does not stop. One thing for sure, you get his full effort every time he steps on the pitch. Plus he's got the skills to back up his motor.

Also, Portugal lost a shootout with Ronaldo not taking one again? Didn't that happen in the 2012 Euros too?

I think you are correct about Ronaldo, The theory was he put himself back in the order so that his goal would be the one that won it. Wouldn't surprise me as he is an arrogant tosser. Although in truth that's one part of his persona that makes him such a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    I think you are correct about Ronaldo, The theory was he put himself back in the order so that his goal would be the one that won it. Wouldn't surprise me as he is an arrogant tosser. Although in truth that's one part of his persona that makes him such a great player.
    It would be good to see an always improving Chile side win this Cup, or Mexico instead. As long as its not flippin Germany again.
    How do teams qualify for this Confed Cup anyway, is it just by invitation ?
    I do wonder just what our team would have done if they were in it, probably just 3 group games and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    It would be good to see an always improving Chile side win this Cup, or Mexico instead. As long as its not flippin Germany again.
    How do teams qualify for this Confed Cup anyway, is it just by invitation ?
    I do wonder just what our team would have done if they were in it, probably just 3 group games and out.
    I think the Helmet Heads get in because they are world champs, Russia because they are the hosts and the others because they are the champions of there particular confederations. Portugal - European, Chile-South America, Mexico- Central/North America etc. Now New Zealand, maybe Oceanic Confederation??

From the good old Wikpedia....

"The eight competing teams will be the host nation, the reigning FIFA World Cup champions, and the six holders of the FIFA confederation championships. If any team qualifies for multiple berths (such as, if the World Cup champions also won their continental championship), the next best-placed team from their continental championship qualifies.

After Russia secured a spot in the tournament as hosts, Germany were the first team to qualify via competition, after winning the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The final match saw the Germans clinch the country's fourth world title through a 1–0 extra-time win against Argentina. Australia were the next team to qualify after beating South Korea 2–1 after extra time, in the 2015 AFC Asian Cup Final. This victory marked Australia's first Asian Cup win since their move from the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) in 2006. It was also the first time a team had become champions of two confederations, following Australia's four OFC Nations Cup titles. Chile were the fourth team to secure a spot at the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup after defeating Argentina 4–1 on a penalty shoot-out following a 0–0 draw after extra time, in the 2015 Copa América Final.

As 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup champions, Mexico's qualifying path saw them face 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup champions United States in the 2015 CONCACAF Cup play-off match. The new format, in which the two most recent CONCACAF Gold Cup winners compete to decide the representative team of CONCACAF, was won by Mexico 3–2 after extra time. New Zealand were the sixth team to qualify for the tournament after defeating Papua New Guinea 4–2 on a penalty shoot-out following a 0–0 draw after extra time, in the 2016 OFC Nations Cup Final.

Portugal were the seventh team to qualify, after defeating host nation France 1–0 after extra time, in the UEFA Euro 2016 Final. The 2017 Africa Cup of Nations winning team, Cameroon, took the eighth and final spot with their 2–1 win against Egypt in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Final.[3] This will be the first time in FIFA Confederations Cup history that three national teams from any single confederation (Russia, Germany and Portugal from UEFA) will participate in the tournament."

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    I think the Helmet Heads get in because they are world champs, Russia because they are the hosts and the others because they are the champions of there particular confederations. Portugal - European, Chile-South America, Mexico- Central/North America etc. Now New Zealand, maybe Oceanic Confederation??
    Yes Woody, Ive read what Wikipedia says about the tournament and it is for the winners of the world cup, and the winners of the other continental cups.
    And these days the hosts are invited to take part as a build up to them hosting the world cup, the following year. (which is Russia this time)
    Some other teams do get invited though if one of the qualifiers takes up more than one category. For example both New Zealand & Australia were in this.

ps - I had no idea Australia had moved to the Asian Champships now, whats that all about. Maybe thats what we/England should do if we want to win a trophy, switch to a poorer continental tournament.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)