+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Just asking, who cares?
    Seems like somebody does, the estimates for the number of people who watched the two stages in Yorkshire a couple of years ago vary
    between 2.5million and 3.5 million. The number of spectators lining the route over the three weeks increases every year, last estimate I saw said 12 million, but that was a few years back. The TV audience worlwide over the three weeks is reckoned to be around 3.5 billion.

Just who counts all these people though I've no idea.

Interesting analysis above Norder, it was certainly an unusual finish, but why did it catch Froome out more than the others ? He had his team with him all day, Sky dictated the pace, so in effect Froome dictated the pace, right up until the last couple of hundred yards, and it wasn't a pace that saw off many of the other GC contenders so he should have been capable of riding to the line, but he almost came to a standstill, he was in serious difficulty.

Maybe it was just that finish, maybe normal service will be resumed, we can only wait and see. It did remind me of watching Indurain in the 90s though, year after year, stage after stage, Miguel just rode away from them in the mountains, it was monotous, he was imperious, untouchable, you just knew what would happen. Then on one stage, one day, someone took him on and he just dropped back, he was there at the head of the race one minute, then he was gone, and he was finished, it was over, in an instant, just like that. Have we just seen the same thing with Froome ? I doubt it, but there were alarming similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Interesting analysis above Norder, it was certainly an unusual finish, but why did it catch Froome out more than the others ? He had his team with him all day, Sky dictated the pace, so in effect Froome dictated the pace, right up until the last couple of hundred yards, and it wasn't a pace that saw off many of the other GC contenders so he should have been capable of riding to the line, but he almost came to a standstill, he was in serious difficulty.
    Maybe it was just that finish, maybe normal service will be resumed, we can only wait and see. It did remind me of watching Indurain in the 90s though, year after year, stage after stage, Miguel just rode away from them in the mountains, it was monotous, he was imperious, untouchable, you just knew what would happen. Then on one stage, one day, someone took him on and he just dropped back, he was there at the head of the race one minute, then he was gone, and he was finished, it was over, in an instant, just like that. Have we just seen the same thing with Froome ? I doubt it, but there were alarming similarities.
    Was it that final last steep incline before the finish that did for him ?

Looking at Bardet crossing the line dribbling like an alien....and Aru catching flies the size of a bus with his gaping mouth...all out of their seat and giving it everything they had...then see Froome rise up and push only to re-seat him self and check his numbers.
    Perhaps - they can go into red with quicker muscle recovery....maybe Froome can't - that could have been the case with Indurain...pushed himself too hard.....he burnt out, there's no quick way of coming back from that....but then these days....with the wonders of modern chemicals etc ???

Oh dear - look at what the French have done, Uran and Bennet receive time penalties for "taking" an illegal feed...then frenchman Bardet also found to have taken drinks but No Penalty...there were protests...but rather than add 20secs to Bardets time, they reversed the decision on Bennet and Uran.
    A typically French move, ego's are that big they reckon nobody would notice such shameful hypocritical incompetence....but they don't care about that, being stuck in their own selfish little bubbles as they are.

Cheers.

Seems like somebody does, the estimates for the number of people who watched the two stages in Yorkshire a couple of years ago vary
    between 2.5million and 3.5 million. The number of spectators lining the route over the three weeks increases every year, last estimate I saw said 12 million, but that was a few years back. The TV audience worlwide over the three weeks is reckoned to be around 3.5 billion.

Just who counts all these people though I've no idea.
    Aye, but that's in Yorkshire sinkov. Them daft beggars will sit and watch paint dry!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Aye, but that's in Yorkshire sinkov. Them daft beggars will sit and watch paint dry!
    3 billion yorkies heavens to murgatroyd - that's stretching things too far.

Surprised no one has yet said On yer bike.

I was talking to a Frenchie a few years back Norder, he was wondering why us Brits seemed to have such difficulty with the EU. I told him a lot of it was down to the petty regs emanating from Brussells, telling us what we could and couldn't do with our fruit and veg, weights and measures, light bulbs etc, all stuff we were perfectly capable of sorting out for ourselves without their interference. His answer was basically, "What's the matter with you, just accept the regs you want to adhere to, and ignore the rest, that's what we do in France."

It applies to the Tour as well as the EU it seems.

I was talking to a Frenchie a few years back Norder, he was wondering why us Brits seemed to have such difficulty with the EU. I told him a lot of it was down to the petty regs emanating from Brussells, telling us what we could and couldn't do with our fruit and veg, weights and measures, light bulbs etc, all stuff we were perfectly capable of sorting out for ourselves without their interference. His answer was basically, "What's the matter with you, just accept the regs you want to adhere to, and ignore the rest, that's what we do in France."
    It applies to the Tour as well as the EU it seems.
    Good story and true - Sinkov......and in general - one that applies anywhere that could be of benefit to them....even if to the detriment of others.....as they either care nothing or have little capacity to consider the ramifications of their deeds.

Cheers.

Today on the Tour....Stage 13.

Barguil takes the stage....no notable attacks or changes among the GC riders, but for Landa who with Contador broke away and stayed away - with Sky teams Landa who started the day at just under 3mins down...bringing himself within 1min9secs of the yellow jersey.
    Froome, Aru gap remains at 6sec.

Next up....Blagnac - Rodez....181.5km

...a stage for the big sprinters - Kittel/Matthews.

Well Froome gets his tactics right by coming 7th and Aru goes badly wrong allowing Froome to retake the yellow with a 19 second lead. The sprinters took a rest day.

I could be wrong because I was only half-listening, but I thought Boardman said on ITV that Aru had been caught out because Astana hadn't done their homework on this stage, and were unaware of the nature of the finish and the potential for time gaps to open up. If that is the case it's a shocking indictment of the Astana management. It certainly wouldn't happen at Sky.

I could be wrong because I was only half-listening, but I thought Boardman said on ITV that Aru had been caught out because Astana hadn't done their homework on this stage, and were unaware of the nature of the finish and the potential for time gaps to open up. If that is the case it's a shocking indictment of the Astana management. It certainly wouldn't happen at Sky.
    ...am unsure what exactly went on Sinkov - Astana are weakened, therefore Aru isn't getting anywhere near the support of Froome and his mostly Sky super doms - but then Aru wore the Yellow jersey....and shouldn't let himself be dropped or caught out so easily - otherwise, did his legs fail him or....knowing his team couldn't control the racing - preferred to surrender the Yellow...for sky to do the work
    A good win for the puncheur sprinter Matthews....hot on the tale of (rested) pure sprinter Kittel for the Green jersey - could even go for it again.....on a tough to predict and lively looking - Stage 15.

Laissac-Sévérac l'Église to Le Puy-en-Velay, 189.5km

Cheers.

Last edited by Norder; 16-07-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)