+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Unsure about Obree, but certainly inventive and creative always challenging authority and struggling to know who he is.
    You can see his bikes in the Glasgow Riverside Transport Museum.
    Did be ever try the TdF?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    And at 17.27, almost four hours later, Contador rolled over the finish line. So when he took off he had over 120km, two HCs, a Cat One and 3 hours 40 minutes riding in front of him. I don't think suicide mission is an unfair description.
    If you check the stage profile you so kindly put up for us each day Norder you can see it clearly, he was about 60km into the race when he made his move, not 60km from the finish.
    Correction & apologies....the YJ Contador attack was when you say Sinkov....and it appears - my mistake was confusing his attack and on the leading group on the Telegraphe....but I still can't agree that his break from the Froome group was suicidal, he's better than that - and especially not in the 3rd week of the Tour when riders and teams are so greatly weakened... .

I saw a quote from Uran before todays race....they asked if he would try and break clear from Sky and the yellow Jersey....his answer was - "ask Bardet" - he's certainly no Contador.... .

Recent quote fron David Millar.

"Contador is one of the most incredible bike racers; he is the greatest stage racer of my generation. If I’d have been in a position where I was actually racing against him – mano a mano – he would have been the only guy I would have been scared of if I was leading the race and he was second with two days to go. You just know he's never happy with second. There’s that crazy statistic that he’s won seven grand tours and not finished lower down on the podium in a single one. Second means nothing to him.

Cheers and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Unsure about Obree, but certainly inventive and creative always challenging authority and struggling to know who he is.
    You can see his bikes in the Glasgow Riverside Transport Museum.
    Did be ever try the TdF?
    ....not TDF colner....individual pursuit and time trial.

if I get that way...will certainly take a look. Thanks.

was a little to contrary from the usual for the powers that be....dont upset the apple cart.

Cheers.

24km to go of todays 179km stage ....and nothing to report.

Izoard is looming.
    Last edited by Norder; 20-07-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Well they gave it a go......eventually. AG2R's domestiques rode themselves into the ground again, Contador attacked, Martin attacked, Bardet attacked, Froome attacked, Landa attacked, I'm sure Aru wanted to but couldn't, only Rigo sat there until forced to chase Froome down, and after all that not much changed. Barring a couple punctures or falling off in the TT, Froome wins the race again,

Stage 18 - Warren Barguil (Sunweb) is first over the line for the Stage Victory...and with it secures the Polka Dot Jersey in the King of the Mountains classification. Darwin Atapooma took second position from Roman Bardet in third....Froome 4th with Uran next - Dan Martin took 8th position and is in 6th place in the GC...with Simon Yates retaining the White Jersey of the young rider classification.

....Bardet battled hard with Rigoberto and came in an astounding 3mins33s ahead of Froome - after a stunning attack that began on the descent of the col de vers - just wait a minute....thats not what happened.

There were no long range attacks, and only a few piddly little attempts at breaking Froome by Bardet on the Izoard....they came to nothing. Uran wheel sucked....and did nothing. Aru was somewhere on the mountain, perhaps he got lost....I dont know....but Bardet did at least take a few bonus seconds on the line to bring him back to second position in front of his arch nemesis and main tour rival - Uran.

Last edited by Norder; 20-07-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Stage 19 - Embrun – Salon-de-Provence....222.5km

....unless a breakaway has a go and makes it stick - this is one for the sprinters.

and apart from Dan Martin - GC riders will continue to twiddle their thumbs...perhaps even phone mum and shave their legs.

Sky should control this I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

and apart from Dan Martin - GC riders will continue to twiddle their thumbs...perhaps even phone mum and shave their legs.

You should try actually watching the race on one of these mountain stages Norder, all of the race I mean, not just the highlights. Then you'd realise that comments like that are, with respect, a tad silly.

There's nothing in today's stage for the GC guys, I would imagine they'd be delighted to see a breakaway go up the road, and happy to leave them to it.

You should try actually watching the race on one of these mountain stages Norder, all of the race I mean, not just the highlights. Then you'd realise that comments like that are, with respect, a tad silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

Stage 19 - Embrun – Salon-de-Provence....222.5km

....unless a breakaway has a go and makes it stick - this is one for the sprinters.
    I guess you didn't see that comment.....or get the irony of the other.

There's nothing in today's stage for the GC guys, I would imagine they'd be delighted to see a breakaway go up the road, and happy to leave them to it.
    ....thats ok Sinkov - but can't just sit on my ass everyday watching "every" stage of the Tour - I do have other more important things that take up my time - and anyway...as far as This TDF goes - suffering extreme boredom for any long period - would be well down the list...somewhere near the gates of hell.

I look forward to the La Vuelta.....to save the day.

You disagree with my opinion - and have seemingly enjoyed the Tour....that's great - am pleased for you - truly and sincerely am....and have no intention nor do I care enough to attempt to change how you see it...that would be silly of me.

No - todays run out is certainly not a Mountain stage Sinkov..... .

Also.........though there's unlikely to be any GC changes at the end of the day.....it's not over till it's over.

Be well....and enjoy the final few days of the TDF.

Cheers and thanks - been most interesting .

Last edited by Norder; 21-07-2017 at 02:58 PM.

I hardly saw any of the first week Norde, but due to the weather not allowing me to get on with some outside jobs, I've had the time to watch most of this week's stages, apologies if my post seemed a bit out of order, but after watching the effort these guys put in fot hour after hour, I just felt it unfair to insuate they were either too bone idle to attack, or just didn't care enough to bother.

We both know that's not the case, Sky are simply too strong and have a stranglehold on the race. It doesn't make for compulsive viewing for the most part but it is what it is, and I've enjoyed watching the stages unfold. And despite disagreeing sometimes, as I said before, I've enjoyed your contribution to this thread as well.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)