+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Tour de France

Horrible crash for Cavendish in last 300 metres as he gets taken out at 55mph by Peter Sagan (the World Champions) elbow and hits the fence then road and then gets hit and ridden over by colleagues.
    Damage to his shoulder and stitches needed for his finger so probably out.

Sagan disqualified from the Tour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40498656

Thomas also crashes but given then same time as winner so retains yellow jersey.

....Sagen did move off his line and over onto Cavendish - and the raised elbow sealed it...but to disqualify him from the Tour was I think harsh, as if they're going to play tough then why not penalise Frenchman Demare for moving off his line and cutting up Bouhanni ???....that would have put Kristoff (Norway) to first, but if Bouhanni (FR) would have taken second...would they then have slapped a penalty on Demare.....?

here it is..... .

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

....Sagen did move off his line and over onto Cavendish - and the raised elbow sealed it...but to disqualify him from the Tour was I think harsh, as if they're going to play tough then why not penalise Frenchman Demare for moving off his line and cutting up Bouhanni ???....that would have put Kristoff (Norway) to first, but if Bouhanni (FR) would have taken second...would they then have slapped a penalty on Demare.....?

I don't know the rules but he didn't just raise his elbow he elbowed him over and into the fence. if he had been placed last today as I heard some suggest would he have carried on anyway.
    He apparently did the same thing yesterday to another rider.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I don't know the rules but he didn't just raise his elbow he elbowed him over and into the fence. if he had been placed last today as I heard some suggest would he have carried on anyway.
    He apparently did the same thing yesterday to another rider.
    ....last in the race was the original ruling, then they upped it to disqualification.

....sprinters clash, it's fairly normal....I think the damage was done when Sagen squeezed Cavendish - looks like he was already going over, I think the Sagen elbow was more of a "shove off mate....your not taking me out".
    Again...and ok, they can rule as the did against Sagen - but why did Demare get off scot - free ?

Sorry can't answer Norder.
    The TV expert commentator said Sagan was not allowed to switch and jump about on who he was tracking and Cav was tracking the eventual winner and he wasn't so what he did before the elbow was not on.
    Just saying what he said.

Sorry can't answer Norder.
    The TV expert commentator said Sagan was not allowed to switch and jump about on who he was tracking and Cav was tracking the eventual winner and he wasn't so what he did before the elbow was not on.
    Just saying what he said.

thats right as I see it Colner.

...can see from the early seconds of the vid that Cavendish was tracking Demare...it was Sagen that moved too far onto Cav's line which caused the crash...Sagen did have room to his left but wanted to slipstream Demare so didn't go there....it was dangerous as Cav had nowhere to go but the barrier.
    But then see Demare cut across Bouhanni's line catching his wheel....why was that ok ?.... true that "we" can't answer...being the final decision is down to the judges - perhaps if Bouhanni had gone down then Demare would have been penalised....then later if Bouhanni was found unfit to continue - they would have DQed Demare...but it was no less of a dangerous manouvere than Sagens.

Cheers.

.....a nice steep and telling climb to finish tomorrows stage

Cav broken his shoulder so he's out too.
    That climb looks scary, not one for Cav anyway. Maybe this is Froome time

If the local gendarmerie have a look at that elbow he could be up for GBH at least. It's a rough game in the last 300m and they all know the risks and accept them, but that elbow went beyond what's acceptable, l'm just surprised it took them so long to throw him off the race.

Cav broken his shoulder so he's out too.
    That climb looks scary, not one for Cav anyway. Maybe this is Froome time
    Britain's Chris Froome took the yellow jersey from team-mate Geraint Thomas as Italy's Fabio Aru won the fifth stage of the Tour de France.

Astana rider Aru attacked with 2.3km to go on the final 6km climb up La Planche des Belles Filles and could not be caught by the chasing Froome.

Irishman Dan Martin (Quick-Step Floors) came second as Froome (Team Sky) finished third.

Froome, 32, leads Welshman Thomas by 12 seconds in the general classification.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)