+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice From Van Drivers/Couriers.

Advice From Van Drivers/Couriers.

I'm sure you'll be able to advise me on this Chris but I'd welcome any other people's advice as well.

My son went for an interview with Yodel as he loves driving,they are giving him some sort of trial/training next week.

He'll be self employed and they've told him he'll need to get himself vat registered which surprised me,he can barely w a n k and chew gum at the same time so the thought of him keeping strict books is a bit of a stretch!

They also said he could lease a van through them but I didn't like the sound of the deal.

They're saying he'll get 80-100 parcels a day to deliver and the pay is £1.50 per parcel.

That means delivering a parcel every five minutes for 8 hours......pie in the sky bollox in my estimation.

All advice appreciated?

Here is a link with some reviews from those who have worked for yodel. It may help

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Yodel/reviews

The business has changed over the 30 years I've been in it Mick. Nearly all the courier companies pay per drop nowadays. £1.50 is a decent enough shout so long as the route is fairly local and 80-100 a day is quite feasible.He will get £1.50 for a drop but if that drop has extra parcels he will get .75p per parcel extra up to 5 parcels making that drop worth £4.50. Remember though that the loading of the van in the morning takes an hour plus and there is no pay for that.
    Being VAT registered is a must really as it saves you a lot of money. Say he hires a van for £300 per week (that figure may be well out but is for explanation purposes only). There will be a VAT charge on top of that of 20%, £60. Also the fuel has VAT on it. Spend £120 on fuel and £20 is VAT. ALL this VAT plus any paid on other expenses with VAT is reclaimable so boosts the income. You charge VAT to the carrier company so say he made £1000 they would pay £1200. Sounds complicated but isn't really. He could get an accountant to do it or save money and get dad to do it
    Then there's the income tax. Claim every expense back on that (less the VAT) including non VAT items such as van insurance & road tax.
    I've always done my own accounts but this was my job anyway back in the 70s so it comes easy for me whilst many find it daunting.
    Yodel are no better or worse than the other courier companies despite their poor reputation.
    These companies have master subbies sometimes who employ other drivers to do the work and take a profit though they have to ensure the routes are done if their driver is off. That may be something to consider for the future.
    It's decent money for what is a simple job.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I'm sure you'll be able to advise me on this Chris but I'd welcome any other people's advice as well.

My son went for an interview with Yodel as he loves driving,they are giving him some sort of trial/training next week.

He'll be self employed and they've told him he'll need to get himself vat registered which surprised me,he can barely w a n k and chew gum at the same time so the thought of him keeping strict books is a bit of a stretch!

They also said he could lease a van through them but I didn't like the sound of the deal.

They're saying he'll get 80-100 parcels a day to deliver and the pay is £1.50 per parcel.

That means delivering a parcel every five minutes for 8 hours......pie in the sky bollox in my estimation.

All advice appreciated?
    Mick, I can't really comment on what is a good or bad deal as to working as a courier although Chris can clearly give you good advice on your issue. If it helps, I'd consider throwing all of the admin HMRC stuff over to an accountant and just get your lad to focus on the job in hand. Again if it helps, I use a branch of Tax Assist Direct in Stourbridge for my PAYE tax return working in a corporate role but I'm also setting up an on-line business, I had lots of questions concerning the latter and found the guy I used to be very good with advice before I'd taken any steps so this might be a good starting point for a professional opinion as to what's good and not so good with the offer on the table. I'm sure you may already have a good accountant but I'd run it past someone for a professional opinion as to the offer. Hope that helps.

Many of those 80-100 drops may well be bunched together i.e.the same street or row of shops,so it's not as daunting as it sounds.
    I do 2 drops a day...and that kills me
    They both weigh 7 tonnes though

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

All advice appreciated?
    Looking at all the other posts, it seems to me your estimation and conclusion is the right one mickd.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    The business has changed over the 30 years I've been in it Mick. Nearly all the courier companies pay per drop nowadays. £1.50 is a decent enough shout so long as the route is fairly local and 80-100 a day is quite feasible.He will get £1.50 for a drop but if that drop has extra parcels he will get .75p per parcel extra up to 5 parcels making that drop worth £4.50. Remember though that the loading of the van in the morning takes an hour plus and there is no pay for that.
    Being VAT registered is a must really as it saves you a lot of money. Say he hires a van for £300 per week (that figure may be well out but is for explanation purposes only). There will be a VAT charge on top of that of 20%, £60. Also the fuel has VAT on it. Spend £120 on fuel and £20 is VAT. ALL this VAT plus any paid on other expenses with VAT is reclaimable so boosts the income. You charge VAT to the carrier company so say he made £1000 they would pay £1200. Sounds complicated but isn't really. He could get an accountant to do it or save money and get dad to do it
    Then there's the income tax. Claim every expense back on that (less the VAT) including non VAT items such as van insurance & road tax.
    I've always done my own accounts but this was my job anyway back in the 70s so it comes easy for me whilst many find it daunting.
    Yodel are no better or worse than the other courier companies despite their poor reputation.
    These companies have master subbies sometimes who employ other drivers to do the work and take a profit though they have to ensure the routes are done if their driver is off. That may be something to consider for the future.
    It's decent money for what is a simple job.
    Take the office work off the hands of the delivery main dealer? Work a day a week for Jack Schit loading the van? Pay an accountant to sort out VAT? That does not appeal in the slightest....

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    Take the office work off the hands of the delivery main dealer? Work a day a week for Jack Schit loading the van? Pay an accountant to sort out VAT? That does not appeal in the slightest....
    VAT and Inland Revenue GLM! Like I said I do all mine myself, even did so when I had 4 staff on PAYE. All on my own again now doing bulk work in a Luton type van. Not earning much, not working many hours. Winding down time.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    Many of those 80-100 drops may well be bunched together i.e.the same street or row of shops,so it's not as daunting as it sounds.

Crikey Greyhound now that would be easy money!

Appreciate all the replies thanks lads.

You can always rely on Chris....van driving,fence posts.......the list is f kin endless.....this man's talents are limitless.

Which begs the question...

How the hell did you end up sharing a postcode with Fred West?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)