+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: George Thorne

..... who was kept on payroll for several years, given a testimonial and then released to try his luck at Burton wasnt he? Hardly cut adrift without a lifeboat. Id say the club and their insurers did all they could for SB in the circumstances.

Can't think of anybody ever being cut adrift by Dcfc or any other club one to think about it Forest have always stuck by Cohen with the terrible back luck he's had

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    ..... who was kept on payroll for several years, given a testimonial and then released to try his luck at Burton wasnt he? Hardly cut adrift without a lifeboat. Id say the club and their insurers did all they could for SB in the circumstances.
    Not disagreeing, nor am I saying GT hasn't had the same good treatment, but there is always an end point, sometimes arriving sooner than others. John Chiedozie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not disagreeing, nor am I saying GT hasn't had the same good treatment, but there is always an end point, sometimes arriving sooner than others. John Chiedozie.
    To be fair AF you did describe it as 'normal practice'. Don't think it is...Barker was a really bad example and although I thought of John Chiedozie too, he is the exception to the rule and that was almost thirty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    To be fair AF you did describe it as 'normal practice'. Don't think it is...Barker was a really bad example and although I thought of John Chiedozie too, he is the exception to the rule and that was almost thirty years ago.
    I actually said 'practise in 'normal' business, not football', which I've found to be the case, not worth pursuing further as there are a million anecdotes to prove/disprove. And yes John C was a bit of a prehistoric example

I'll save you the anecdotes Andy, it's a common procedure:

https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/dis...due-to-illness

Either way, will he come back the player we think he is, or will he never quite make it?

I actually said 'practise in 'normal' business, not football', which I've found to be the case, not worth pursuing further as there are a million anecdotes to prove/disprove. And yes John C was a bit of a prehistoric example
    Hmmm, Andy...you've missed that little but ***** word 'if' out I fear. You actually referred to 'normal business, if not in football'...i.e...not sure about the football world but ditching someone who has been injured as a result of their employment is normal practise.
    I'm sure it isn't, at least not without serious amounts of compensation and Adi's example only refers to redundancy due to illness not to injuries sustained in the course of employment.
    Anyway, let's hope it's all irrelevant and that GT can start or finish a much improved number of games this time round. Suspect the fitness of him and Huddlestone will go a long way to shape our season.

Regretably thems the rule Swale, in 'normal' business if not in football. Been alongside a number of folk who slipped quietly out of employment in just such a manner
    Actually not Andy, of course it all starts with the contract, and in football the players is on a fixed term contract which provides for payment in the event of injury and a club would only be able to terminate that if the player had injured himself doing something he shouldn't either during work or outside it.

As for business, it ain't that easy to just get rid of someone who is sick and its a lot harder if they become ill or injured whilst doing their job and its not their fault. Again of course it depends upon the details of the contract of employment and where a person is in the company, but termination of a contract unfairly can result in substantial compemsation being paid. Now of course in the case of an normal business employee who is sick and unlikely to resume work then normally a compensation package is agreed.

There are of course some unscrupulous employers out there who don't follow the law and employees who dont know their rights or can't afford to fight the employer, but the majority of those who slip away have had some form of payment.

The same with a player if he is unlikely to play again where his contract may be terminated on payment of an agreed compensation package, which more often than not is covered by an insurance payout - don't forget that a player is an asset on the clubs books and simply writing off the value is not necessarily in their interests.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Hmmm, Andy...you've missed that little but ***** word 'if' out I fear. You actually referred to 'normal business, if not in football'...i.e...not sure about the football world but ditching someone who has been injured as a result of their employment is normal practise.
    I'm sure it isn't, at least not without serious amounts of compensation and Adi's example only refers to redundancy due to illness not to injuries sustained in the course of employment.
    Anyway, let's hope it's all irrelevant and that GT can start or finish a much improved number of games this time round. Suspect the fitness of him and Huddlestone will go a long way to shape our season.
    I think we're all equally guilty here of proving the saying 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. Lets just hope for his sake that GT gets it together and makes an impact

I think we're all equally guilty here of proving the saying 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. Lets just hope for his sake that GT gets it together and makes an impact
    Agreed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)