+ Visit Notts. County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AH and twitter

AH and twitter

This from AH on twitter.

Nope. You'll be seeing a whole less of me on Twitter here on. Apologies to those who enjoyed the insight

The ones who want AH to do less twitter have got their way I suspect after a lot of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    This from AH on twitter.

Nope. You'll be seeing a whole less of me on Twitter here on. Apologies to those who enjoyed the insight
    Good news if true. Alan, just concentrate on running the club, making a few additions to the squad, then leave it to the proper channels to announce the signings once they are done and dusted.

ps You didn't offer an 'insight', just rumour and speculation.

Good!
    I have seen the guy once, away at Accro. Gracing the hoi polloi in his trackie and trainers. I thought at the time "NO Big Al.... NO!" You cannot be friends/mates with your customers if you want to do this job properly!! This is not business as we know it, this is all about maintaining footfall with a very limited ABC grouping. Buck up Al and get friggin professional!! (ffs) (Sorry BFP) (x)

I have absolutely no doubt that Alan Hardy had the best of intentions in using Twitter to connect with Notts fans, but it really isn't a wise way to communicate. The nature of the internet is that there will always be those who go beyond praise or constructive criticism and delight in personal attacks or goading. It's a form of cowardice of course, but it happens on all social media, and football chairmen are no different from any other high profile people (e.g. politicians) in that they do have a degree of ego and are prone to take offence and bite back, which plays right into the hands of the provocateurs by giving them new material.

Alan Hardy can still give plenty of insight into what is going on at the club by communicating properly through official press releases, which have the advantage of being carefully considered and checked, and can be released when there is proper news to report rather speculation. This is the sensible, professional way to do business and will allow both Alan and the club to maintain their dignity and control their message better (in more than 140 characters). It's the right decision.

Definitely think AH would be wise to focus on other lines of communication, but I think he'll find it difficult to stop twittering. Now he's made his intentions public, we'll see how well he fights his internal battles.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I have absolutely no doubt that Alan Hardy had the best of intentions in using Twitter to connect with Notts fans, but it really isn't a wise way to communicate. The nature of the internet is that there will always be those who go beyond praise or constructive criticism and delight in personal attacks or goading. It's a form of cowardice of course, but it happens on all social media, and football chairmen are no different from any other high profile people (e.g. politicians) in that they do have a degree of ego and are prone to take offence and bite back, which plays right into the hands of the provocateurs by giving them new material.

Alan Hardy can still give plenty of insight into what is going on at the club by communicating properly through official press releases, which have the advantage of being carefully considered and checked, and can be released when there is proper news to report rather speculation. This is the sensible, professional way to do business and will allow both Alan and the club to maintain their dignity and control their message better (in more than 140 characters). It's the right decision.
    I concur, our last owner made himself a whole ****storm of grief through it

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Definitely think AH would be wise to focus on other lines of communication, but I think he'll find it difficult to stop twittering. Now he's made his intentions public, we'll see how well he fights his internal battles.
    He's not going to stop for long, already he's bolstered by those pleading for him to keep twittering.

Alan Hardy‏Verified account @Bigalanh5 14m14 minutes ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Nathan Binks

Thanks

Alan Hardy added,
    Nathan Binks @NathanBinks2
    Replying to @Bigalanh5
    Really hope you reconsider. Football needs more like you. The transparency has been a breath of fresh air & most fans support your efforts👏👍
    0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

I seem to recall that RT was praised as being a breath of fresh air when he started posting on this board, open and transparent it all was.

AH needs constant cosseting. Bit sad in a way.

Shame really, but constant promises of jam tomorrow was always going to end in pessisism from the fans. If he had limited his tweeting to his day to day running of the club and his family and not risen to the taunts of the more impatient fans by telling of imminent new signings whose non-appearance left him looking incompetent, then the slowly widening gulf between him and the supporters would never have appeared in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    He's not going to stop for long, already he's bolstered by those pleading for him to keep twittering.
    Yeah, it's just drama queen stuff. It's like those posters who flounce off from here in high dudgeon then start posting again a week later like nothing had happened.

Yeah, he's back already! Best of intentions, but I can't help but think he'll end up regretting all this.

Why bother with supporters clubs, press officers and SLOs anymore? If you have any gripes or suggestions to make about Notts then just contact the top man himself for a chat. I'm sure he's got enough time to deal with every bit of minutiae every one of us has to say. Hell, he might even just pop round your house...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Yeah, he's back already! Best of intentions, but I can't help but think he'll end up regretting all this.

Why bother with supporters clubs, press officers and SLOs anymore? If you have any gripes or suggestions to make about Notts then just contact the top man himself for a chat. I'm sure he's got enough time to deal with every bit of minutiae every one of us has to say. Hell, he might even just pop round your house...
    I think we should keep slagging the man off that saved us. It's the only way forward, let him think, what the hell have I got into here. I might bale out and let the club go to the ground, I am sick of the moaning.

Just think, no more footy and shopping on a Saturday afternoon. You know it makes sense.

PS I am not and never will be on twitter but it's a free country, unless Steptoe gets into power

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Shame really, but constant promises of jam tomorrow was always going to end in pessisism from the fans. If he had limited his tweeting to his day to day running of the club and his family and not risen to the taunts of the more impatient fans by telling of imminent new signings whose non-appearance left him looking incompetent, then the slowly widening gulf between him and the supporters would never have appeared in the first place.
    I think the description of a "slowly widening gulf between him and the supporters" is overplaying it a bit. Social media creates that impression, which is a prime reason why he's better off out of it, but beyond Twitter, Facebook and Notts County MAD there are lots of supporters who are oblivious to such online spats and no doubt feel AH has done a pretty good job over his first six months, which indeed he has.

The nature of message boards like this is that they tend to be used to air concerns rather than give praise, so the level of dissatisfaction is over-emphasised. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the signings so far and a bit alarmed by a strategy that could have involved paying a three figure sum for a player we kicked out 12 months earlier, whilst releasing at least one talented youngster. However, I don't doubt Alan Hardy's commitment to the cause, or the fact that he's doing some very good work behind the scenes. I think the guy's decent, we just need a clearer and more rational strategy on the playing side and a more professional approach to communication. There's still time to get those things right.
    Last edited by jackal2; 14-07-2017 at 05:25 PM.

I wholeheartedly agree. Football Chairman + Social Media = Tears. If it's one piece advice that Alan Hardy would do to take from the Trew era it's to avoid social media which Mrs Trew even made the comment on here about avoiding it.

The problem with social media it's the trolls and psychopants are the loudest and most vociferous in their praise or critism. The majority fall somewhere between the two.

It's not just AH a lot of football chairman engage on social media these days. It comes with the times we live in.

Where it falls down is when they give insight or news as it were but then people hang on to every word and when something does not happen it gets used as a stick to beat said chairman with.

It's for the best in my opinion and I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in that a football chairman is like a good referee in that they are there but rarely seen or heard.

As you rightly point out there are other forms of communication such as the club website, match-day programme and other media outlets where he can issue statements.

I think the description of a "slowly widening gulf between him and the supporters" is overplaying it a bit. Social media creates that impression, which is a prime reason why he's better off out of it, but beyond Twitter, Facebook and Notts County MAD there are lots of supporters who are oblivious to such online spats and no doubt feel AH has done a pretty good job over his first six months, which indeed he has.

The nature of message boards like this is that they tend to be used to air concerns rather than give praise, so the level of dissatisfaction is over-emphasised. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the signings so far and a bit alarmed by a strategy that could have involved paying a three figure sum for a player we kicked out 12 months earlier, whilst releasing at least one talented youngster. However, I don't doubt Alan Hardy's commitment to the cause, or the fact that he's doing some very good work behind the scenes. I think the guy's decent, we just need a clearer and more rational strategy on the playing side and a more professional approach to communication. There's still time to get those things right.
    The ticket sales for the reds friendly seems to indicate that the enthusiasm is waning all round,whether this can be put down to "a widening gulf" I don't know but I hope we either sign a couple of exciting players or get off to a cracking start to the season or I can see crowds beginning to return to pre AH fairly rapidly.

After reading tonight's Post I'm even more sceptical. Does AH believe that other clubs do not closely assess players before signing them? And yes, agents will surely push players your way, that's their job isn't it, only at league 2 those players will have limitations hence they are still out of work. AH seems to be reinventing the wheel by his quotes which to me shows he is out of his depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I think we should keep slagging the man off that saved us. It's the only way forward, let him think, what the hell have I got into here. I might bale out and let the club go to the ground, I am sick of the moaning.

Just think, no more footy and shopping on a Saturday afternoon. You know it makes sense.

PS I am not and never will be on twitter but it's a free country, unless Steptoe gets into power
    You are not on twitter so you are NOT seeing what's going on there. It is NOT that he tweets, it is NOT that he tweets his hopes, it is that he tweets (and it doesn't matter whether it's a tweet or an interview or an article) that players will be signed and then they are not. Now if you say we're signing players and it doesn't work out that way we'll all have a laugh at your sauce. But when the sauce is the sauce what the hell do you do.

On top of that he rises to the bait and argues with the customers. He'll tweet "the customer is always right" and then two days later he'll say "everyone else buys tickets in advance", or "if you don't agree with the tinpot then you're not a true supporter". He'll argue he shouldn't have got a ticket for 47mph in a 40mph average speed camera area, that nearly +20% over. And don't get me on about his third (was it 3) parking tickets in a short space of time, or how he'd sort out the waiting lists at the GP by putting customers first. Or unilaterally change the Lifeline prize structure whilst admitting he'd only just discovered that it was there, or having no understanding of why several ladies were upset and unhappy with disbanding their team - responding "well where's your 500k".

He's a nutcase - sorry, he just is doing no favours to himself. Folk are fawning to him like they did with RT. He has hissy fits when he's criticised and then continues when he gets tweets of "don't go, we love what you're doing".

Unprofessional and I wouldn't go on a sailing ship with him at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post

Soccerman, if you think that's me slagging him off then you should see the kind of things people say to other people on Twitter. Which is kind of my whole point about how he's better off not being on there at the beck and call of every single Notts fan, no?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It's for the best in my opinion and I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in that a football chairman is like a good referee in that they are there but rarely seen or heard.
    This is true, but a lot of football chairmen (and their money) are attracted by the limelight. Some even get jealous when one of their chosen managers is so successful that they feel they aren't getting enough credit of their own.

For the ideal chairman, look no further than Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough. He gives his managers backing and time, doesn't especially court the attention himself, and yet remains consistent and loyal with his financial and moral support to the club he loves through good times and bad. If Alan Hardy is looking is looking for a role model, this guy fits the bill.

This is true, but a lot of football chairmen (and their money) are attracted by the limelight. Some even get jealous when one of their chosen managers is so successful that they feel they aren't getting enough credit of their own.

For the ideal chairman, look no further than Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough. He gives his managers backing and time, doesn't especially court the attention himself, and yet remains consistent and loyal with his financial and moral support to the club he loves through good times and bad. If Alan Hardy is looking is looking for a role model, this guy fits the bill.
    Agree entirely. I would go as far as to say it's not about the chairman, it's about the manager and the team. I want the chairman to be a guiding influence, gently pushing the club in the direction he sees. I don't want to see or hear the chairman engaging in public spates and making speculative inconclusive statements. Let the manager make club/team/signing statements. Let the chairman make policy/financial/ statements.
    NCFC is about KN and the squad, not AH.
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 15-07-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smiffypie View Post
    agree entirely. I would go as far as to say it's not about the chairman, it's about the manager and the team. I want the chairman to be a guiding influence, gently pushing the club in the direction he sees. I don't want to see or hear the chairman engaging in public spates and making speculative inconclusive statements. Let the manager make club/team/signing statements. Let the chairman make policy/financial/ statements.
    Ncfc is about kn and the squad, not ah.
    this!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast