+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Squad worries

Our Squad worries

I have a hunch that we have major problems getting a team capable of getting us up.
    Rowett says, we have to curb the squad numbers but I just can't see any takers with what we have
    We have up front Russell, Blackman, Weimann, Vydra and Bennett all incapable of a cool finish in front of goal. I just can't see any takers also Bent who would want him
    In midfield Butterfield, Johnson, Bryson, Thorne, Hansen none of which you would describe as hot property ,just can't see a bid coming
    Defence Shackell, Olsen, Forsyth, maybe Keogh. would be wanted, but then he is the only logical partner for Davies we have.

Since Ince and Hughes left we have no flair or trickery in the squad and for that matter no links to say that will alter

Gary would more or less have to give these players away to get rid

On Huddlestone,Matty James not what we are lacking

someone tell me how we will get some of these players out ,because if Keogh goes our squad has been cherry picked and left with the bad apples who will keep us in this division

As i keep saying we need to ship out a lot of rubbish first

Keogh, russell and blackman need to be offed,, lawrence signed

That would mean we can then slowly rebuild,, we can forget promotion this season,, we need another 2 transfer windows after this to get out the rubbish and bring in the sort of player,, rowett built a capable birmingham side on peanuts and is the right man for the rebuild job imo

If our fans are expecting fireworks this season theyll be disappointed, need to be patient. If mel expects it then we'll be waving goodbye to rowett by december.

Rowett needs 18 months to move the deadwood on and bring the players he wants,, that process has started now.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    I have a hunch that we have major problems getting a team capable of getting us up.
    Rowett says, we have to curb the squad numbers but I just can't see any takers with what we have
    We have up front Russell, Blackman, Weimann, Vydra and Bennett all incapable of a cool finish in front of goal. I just can't see any takers also Bent who would want him
    In midfield Butterfield, Johnson, Bryson, Thorne, Hansen none of which you would describe as hot property ,just can't see a bid coming
    Defence Shackell, Olsen, Forsyth, maybe Keogh. would be wanted, but then he is the only logical partner for Davies we have.

Since Ince and Hughes left we have no flair or trickery in the squad and for that matter no links to say that will alter

Gary would more or less have to give these players away to get rid

On Huddlestone,Matty James not what we are lacking

someone tell me how we will get some of these players out ,because if Keogh goes our squad has been cherry picked and left with the bad apples who will keep us in this division
    I think your harsh on Russell, Weimann and Vydra, of the 3 Russel one could argue is the least effective, but Rowett likes his battling qualities.

Butterfield and Johnson are not bad players if used properly, in their best positions and both shined at their former clubs and with Hughes and Ince gone we should see more from them. Bryson provides energy if he can regain his form.

Thorne's position rather depends upon him keeping his fitness.

If Forsyth keeps fit then LB is fine, Lowe is good cover. Shackell and pearce are good CB's at this level, not fused if we sell keogh.

HUddlestone or Whelan or similar players are the strong combative "defensive midfielder" that Rowett wants and we have lacked.

I disagree that we have no flair or trickery, but the problem Rowett indentified was we had a squad full of "footballers" and very few battlers who were able to do the rough stuff and put a foot in where it hurts - fans are going to be disappointed if they expect "the derby way" this season, expect a hard working disciplined team that wont get much away and often plays a direct style of football.

I share your concerns Eddie, but feel that it was always going to be the case. We need a fresh approach, as these players have failed us so many times in the last few years. As long as we're knocking on the door this season, then I think we're moving in the right direction. We may even be surprised by a couple of signings that excite us come September.

On the subject of outing players, there will always be clubs who fancy them, and see them fitting into their own styles of play. I don't see much problem for the majority, though I wouldn't expect any big figures for them.

Too early to call, and personally, I'd have become incredibly apathetic about the upcoming season if we rolled out with the same players / system again.

If we don't make top 6 Rowett will be gone as it's Mels way! Lets not forget Mel got rid of managers for not playing the Derby way, well I'll tell you this Rowetts team won't be playing the Derby way and that's a definite!
    The flair and tippy tappy passing will be exchanged for possessive and aggressive play which is ok if you're winning if not look out for boo boys!
    Last edited by Manofpride; 14-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Agree with you on that MOP, but presumably Mel got Rowett is for a reason, his sides usually keep possession well, are quick on the counter, but sometimes it aint pretty!

We will be playing the Rowett way that's for sure, the Derby way is dead and buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    We will be playing the Rowett way that's for sure, the Derby way is dead and buried.
    We'll be playing the same way as we always play, we have a load of forwards who don't know where the goal is ( Russell Weimann Blackman Anya Vydra ) and a ruck of midfielders who can't dominate the game due to their lack of ability and confidence to get forward ( Johnson Butterfield Hansen....... )
    So we have all the same old faces playing the same way as always. Only Davies has come in who is not familiar with your so called Derby way
    and back to the original point who will pay money for these , & take them on the same wages nobody imo
    The only option is to pay them to go

I know its only the first pre season match but nothing has changed so far
    Butterfield backwards sideways no confidence
    Johnson still looking boring,just a clogger
    Hansen average league 2 player
    Bryson missing Hughes or a Ibe

Vydra falling over his feet
    Blackman running into trouble
    Russell , show him Bobby Davison videos
    Weimann no end product what so ever
    Bent offside

The Derby way is still here !!!

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    We'll be playing the same way as we always play, we have a load of forwards who don't know where the goal is ( Russell Weimann Blackman Anya Vydra ) and a ruck of midfielders who can't dominate the game due to their lack of ability and confidence to get forward ( Johnson Butterfield Hansen....... )
    So we have all the same old faces playing the same way as always. Only Davies has come in who is not familiar with your so called Derby way
    and back to the original point who will pay money for these , & take them on the same wages nobody imo
    The only option is to pay them to go

I know its only the first pre season match but nothing has changed so far
    Butterfield backwards sideways no confidence
    Johnson still looking boring,just a clogger
    Hansen average league 2 player
    Bryson missing Hughes or a Ibe

Vydra falling over his feet
    Blackman running into trouble
    Russell , show him Bobby Davison videos
    Weimann no end product what so ever
    Bent offside

The Derby way is still here !!!
    I think your too pessimistic by half, these players have on occasion played very well - Johnson was one of Norwich's best players as was Butterfield at huddersfield, we have some quality in the squad and it just needs a manager with some tactical nouse to bring the best out of them.

Vydra if played in his position - another point, if played in their positions then these players can perform, Anya by the way isn't a forward!

Quite why and how a complete clear out of the team will either be good or bring the desired results is puzzling. There has to be some realism that changing the whole squad isn't either the answer or indeed the solution to whats happened at Derby, anyone would think we teetered on the edge of relegation last season - some players who can battle and a more pragmatic approach will see results, just be prepared for it to be rather boring at times, but top 6 playing that way will suit me.

Wow.......

Ok my opinion only of course!

We have the best Keeper and back up keeper we've had in many years.

We have the best defence as a whole that we've had in many years.

We have a very capable group of midfielders, probably one DM short. But I sense that vacancy will soon be filled.

We have the best group of strikers we've had in many years. That could even possibly improve yet, but if we go with what we have still the best we've had in years (Martin, Nugent, Vydra, Bent)

Wide men...... now here's our weakness, but even still, we have got a pretty decent selection (Weimann, Anya, Russell, Bennett) I sense this department will be improved in the not too distant future too.

So if I'm honest, I'm really flabagasted by such pessimism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)