+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agents/Midfielders

Smile Free Agents/Midfielders

With the transfer window now closed and us bringing in two new additions to the squad with Butterfield heading to Sheff Wed and Sam Winnall coming in as a swap deal, plus Keiftenbeld joining from Birmingham City and Bryson heading to Cardiff.

Though they are good additions the midfield area could do with some more additions by adding and seeing as the transfer market is closed and the only option now is the free agent market, we should look to bring in these players to help model the midfield area.

Danny Guthrie scored some cracking goals in the final game of the season for Blackburn but wasn't enough for them to stay up as Forest won their game on the final day to stay in the Championship. Would be a cracking asset to spice up our midfield more.

Kris Commons this man needs no introduction a valuable player for us and a cult hero at Derby would love to see him back at the club and give him one last hurrah that he richly deserves. Defences used to be scared of him time to make that happen once more.

Mathieu Flamini Ex-Arsenal defensive midfielder got bags of experience and would be an intriguing addition to Rowett's midfield that would help build us one of the best midfields in the EFL.

Jan Kirchhoff 2x German cup winner, 2x German Champion, 1x FIFA Club World Cup Winner, 1x German U-19 Bundesliga Champion and 1x UEFA Supercup winner.

Joe Ledley would be a very exciting addition to add to the midfield area and has EFL experience another intriguing signing to help make us have one of the best midfields in the EFL.

Five or six years since Commons left...he was a 'sicknote' then and that doesn't improve with age. Good footballer, questionable attitude and fitness so...no thanks.
    What makes you think he 'richly deserves' a 'last hurrah'? Been very well rewarded throughout a career that has had more than its fair share of unavailability imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-09-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Five or six years since Commons left...he was a 'sicknote' then and that doesn't improve with age. Good footballer, questionable attitude and fitness so...no thanks.
    What makes you think he 'richly deserves' a 'last hurrah'? Been very well rewarded throughout a career that has had more than its fair share of unavailability imo.
    Nigel sold him for £300,000 to Celtic which was a huge steal at the time for a proven goal-scorer that was a key player in our team. Still remains today one of our most bizarre sellings in memory. Should of never have left the club because we could of been in the Premier League today but here we are still in the EFL. Clough's worst ever managerial decisions ever and that's why I said "he richly deserves another shot at Derby."

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    Nigel sold him for £300,000 to Celtic which was a huge steal at the time for a proven goal-scorer that was a key player in our team. Still remains today one of our most bizarre sellings in memory. Should of never have left the club because we could of been in the Premier League today but here we are still in the EFL. Clough's worst ever managerial decisions ever and that's why I said "he richly deserves another shot at Derby."
    You actually said a 'last hurrah' not another 'shot at Derby' but I disagree. The one returnee I'd really love to have seen in a Derby shirt was Leon Osman but he's probably too old now and giving players another 'crack' in the twilight of their careers rarely works imo.

You actually said a 'last hurrah' not another 'shot at Derby' but I disagree. The one returnee I'd really love to have seen in a Derby shirt was Leon Osman but he's probably too old now and giving players another 'crack' in the twilight of their careers rarely works imo.
    Last hurrah is basically giving him another shot to see out his career. Some player's play better with age then they do when they are younger and having a veteran midfielder in our team who knows the club inside out would be the icing on the cake to complete our midfield. More experience the better.

Last hurrah is basically giving him another shot to see out his career. Some player's play better with age then they do when they are younger and having a veteran midfielder in our team who knows the club inside out would be the icing on the cake to complete our midfield. More experience the better.
    I know what a 'last hurrah' is thanks, and I'm sure you're right...that 'some players play better with age', though personally I can't think of many. Perhaps - excluding goalkeepers - you could give some examples of those who perform better at the end of their careers.
    Either way I'm not sure Commons would be one of them. Wisdom (not Andre...or Norman) rather than fitness tends to come with age, hence I prefer a healthy mixture of youth and experience to the 'more experience the better'. Still I look forward to your examples and agree about Joe Ledley...providing we don't expect him to be available week in week out.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-09-2017 at 06:51 PM.

I know what a 'last hurrah' is thanks, and I'm sure you're right...that 'some players play better with age', though personally I can't think of many. Perhaps - excluding goalkeepers - you could give some examples of those who perform better at the end of their careers.
    Either way I'm not sure Commons would be one of them. Wisdom (not Andre...or Norman) rather than fitness tends to come with age, hence I prefer a healthy mixture of youth and experience to the 'more experience the better'. Still I look forward to your examples and agree about Joe Ledley...providing we don't expect him to be available week in week out.
    If we was going for the young and experienced then why have we not used our academy to full effect is it the simple being that the academy graduates are simply not good enough to be in the starting 11 and come nowhere near as close to being another Will Hughes? or is it the simple being we prefer professionals to graduates?

Experience or Talent the mind ponders.....

The mind definitely ponders......

Xavi, Fabio Cannavaro, Paolo Maldini, Craig Bellamy, Eric Abidal, Zinedine Zidane, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Antonio Di Natale, Juan Sebastien Veron, Rio Ferdinand, Emmanuel Adebayor, Esteban Cambiasso, Rodrigo Palacio, Kaka, Klass-Jan Huntelaar, Maxwell, Didier Drogba, Andrea Barzagli, Stephan Lichtstiener, Bacary Sagna, Nemanja Vidic, Xabi Alonso, Carlos Tevez, Daniele De Rossi, Ashley Cole, Francesco Totti, Dante, John Terry, Andrea Pirlo, Dani Alves, Arjen Robben, Stevie G, Robin van Persie, Yaya Toure, Frank Ribery, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Philipp Lahm. Never lost their touch in their 30's and still performed to the best of their abilities.

If we was going for the young and experienced then why have we not used our academy to full effect is it the simple being that the academy graduates are simply not good enough to be in the starting 11 and come nowhere near as close to being another Will Hughes? or is it the simple being we prefer professionals to graduates?

Experience or Talent the mind ponders.....
    Does it?
    I'd like to think a bit of both, but as regards the academy players...I guess they're maybe just not ready yet, although I think Max Lowe might be first choice if he could ever stay fit.

P.S. That's just a long list of players who might be praised for their longevity...they didn't necessarily get better towards the end of their careers.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)