+ Visit Notts. County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thierry Audel

Thierry Audel

Has signed for Barrow on a year contract with another year if he does ok. I'd say he's a bit better than that league

I'd say that's his level. He had some decent games for us but his concentration was variable and every so often he throws in a crass error. If he was going to make an impact as a player at league level he would have done so by now.

Good luck to him though, he wasn't one you couldn't accuse of lack of effort and he's quite versatile, so he'll probably do a decent job for Barrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'd say that's his level. He had some decent games for us but his concentration was variable and every so often he throws in a crass error. If he was going to make an impact as a player at league level he would have done so by now.

Good luck to him though, he wasn't one you couldn't accuse of lack of effort and he's quite versatile, so he'll probably do a decent job for Barrow.
    So at the moment we have Hollis and Duffy with no really capable backup. I really hope it gets sorted soon, lets finally get a decent central defender signed. This position has not been sorted for years now! Good luck to Thierry Audel, certainly on par with Hollis and Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    So at the moment we have Hollis and Duffy with no really capable backup. I really hope it gets sorted soon, lets finally get a decent central defender signed. This position has not been sorted for years now! Good luck to Thierry Audel, certainly on par with Hollis and Duffy.
    Agree 100%. Alan Hardy is the least culpable for this, having only been in control for six months, but Notts County FC has been downright negligent in not addressing the glaring need for two dominant centre-halves for what amounts to at least five seasons now. Not since Graeme Lee have we had a big, convincing stopper despite this being a virtual pre-requisite for teams that want to succeed in the lower leagues.

Look at when Notts County have done well over the past 40 years and at least one big, dominant central defender has been key to every one of those successful sides, from Stubbs to Kilcline to Yates and Short to Shaun Murphy to Gary Strodder to Graeme Lee. We also recovered from slumps in form by signing centre-halves of this type on loan, such as Colin Foster and Anders Jacobsen.

The inability of the people in charge of recruitment to identify and address this problem in recent seasons has been central to so many of the problems we've had, and STILL we wait. At present, we haven't even got one of these (because Hollis just isn't consistently up to it), so we actually need two.

Audel is better than probably 3 out of the 4 players in our defence, I'd say it's close between him and Tootle but he's definitely better than Hollis, Duffy and Dickinson, judgement is out on Jones till we see what he's like nowadays. Brilliant signing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Audel is better than probably 3 out of the 4 players in our defence, I'd say it's close between him and Tootle but he's definitely better than Hollis, Duffy and Dickinson, judgement is out on Jones till we see what he's like nowadays. Brilliant signing for them.
    Totally agree with you Del... cracking non league signing.. shame it didnt work out for him at Notts

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Agree 100%. Alan Hardy is the least culpable for this, having only been in control for six months, but Notts County FC has been downright negligent in not addressing the glaring need for two dominant centre-halves for what amounts to at least five seasons now. Not since Graeme Lee have we had a big, convincing stopper despite this being a virtual pre-requisite for teams that want to succeed in the lower leagues.

Look at when Notts County have done well over the past 40 years and at least one big, dominant central defender has been key to every one of those successful sides, from Stubbs to Kilcline to Yates and Short to Shaun Murphy to Gary Strodder to Graeme Lee. We also recovered from slumps in form by signing centre-halves of this type on loan, such as Colin Foster and Anders Jacobsen.

The inability of the people in charge of recruitment to identify and address this problem in recent seasons has been central to so many of the problems we've had, and STILL we wait. At present, we haven't even got one of these (because Hollis just isn't consistently up to it), so we actually need two.
    Quite right Jackal as usual. The table never lies as they say as the past four seasons we have not been able to concede less than 50 goals a season which we finished mid table. Over those four season this is 302 goals which is 1.6 goals a game.

LG2 2016/17 = 76 league goals conceded.
    LG2 2015/16 = 83 league goals conceded.
    LG1 2014/15 = 66 league goals conceded. Relegated
    LG1 2013/14 = 77 league goals conceded.
    LG1 2012/13 = 49 league goals conceded. Mid table League 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Quite right Jackal as usual. The table never lies as they say as the past four seasons we have not been able to concede less than 50 goals a season which we finished mid table. Over those four season this is 302 goals which is 1.6 goals a game.

Scary looking stats, but anyone who thinks Audel is the answer must be deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

Those figures are appalling, but it's not just about the back four. Interesting to note that Neal Bishop left in 2013 and we've not successfully replaced him. And I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Hayden Hollis started playing for us at this time.

I wonder how many of the goals we've conceded in the last couple of seasons were from set plays. A lot under Muniz, for sure - which a couple of commanding, organising centre halves should hopefully fix.

One request: if we do sign new centre halves - and of course we need to - we get "real" centre halves who only want to play there. Clackstone may have been able to play centre half at under-23 level, but he was absolutely no good for the rough and tumble of League 2. We need a couple of mobile bruisers. What price a Stubbs/Needham, Yates/Short combo ever again? Or if that's being greedy, then at least a Roeder, Kilcline, Foster or Jacobson?

And if we want to be challenging for the playoffs, both Duffy and Hollis need to be watching from the bench/stand, not in the starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I gree he is not the answer but I think people are pointing out he is no worse than what we are left with

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I gree he is not the answer but I think people are pointing out he is no worse than what we are left with
    Yeah, Audel isn't the answer but if you asked me who out of Audel, Dickinson, Duffy and Hollis I would rather have kept it would have been Audel by a country mile and instead we've kept everyone else and got rid of him.

Audel has ended up in non league. He came from non league. It's where he belongs.

He's a lovely chap and I wish him all the best there

Me too, he always put a shift in and he offered something going forwards and at set pieces, but he was error prone on too regular a basis.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Yeah, Audel isn't the answer but if you asked me who out of Audel, Dickinson, Duffy and Hollis I would rather have kept it would have been Audel by a country mile and instead we've kept everyone else and got rid of him.
    Yes, but that says more about the others than it does about him. #faith #trust #bolocks

Doesnt look like we have any deluded fans then eLite pie as I can't see anyone saying he is the answer in this thread. You build from the back and at the moment we are I am afraid to say going to have a tough time of it in regards to that. Hope we get a couple on board soon. I;m sure we will sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Audel has ended up in non league. He came from non league. It's where he belongs.
    And so do the rest of our defence

He was certainly no worse than Hollis and Duffy : One who loses concentration and other whose heading ability is very poor. We will not get promotion until this position is sorted, Think it will be a poor show if we can't go into the season with at least one good central defender on our books. Surely we can find better players than these two.

I think the blame lies firmly with Hardy and Nolan for pi££ing about far too long negotiating for Liam Noble instead of giving FULL Attention to getting this defence sorted !
    IMO As it stands we have the worse defence (inc goalkeeper) in our squad for longer than I can remember and to make it worse there's no back up replacements either !

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Those figures are appalling, but it's not just about the back four. Interesting to note that Neal Bishop left in 2013 and we've not successfully replaced him. And I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Hayden Hollis started playing for us at this time.

I wonder how many of the goals we've conceded in the last couple of seasons were from set plays. A lot under Muniz, for sure - which a couple of commanding, organising centre halves should hopefully fix.

One request: if we do sign new centre halves - and of course we need to - we get "real" centre halves who only want to play there. Clackstone may have been able to play centre half at under-23 level, but he was absolutely no good for the rough and tumble of League 2. We need a couple of mobile bruisers. What price a Stubbs/Needham, Yates/Short combo ever again? Or if that's being greedy, then at least a Roeder, Kilcline, Foster or Jacobson?

And if we want to be challenging for the playoffs, both Duffy and Hollis need to be watching from the bench/stand, not in the starting XI.
    What concerns me is that even dropping down from League One to League Two we've not seen any improvement defensively in terms of goals conceded in two seasons. In fact it's worse. When you look at when we got relegated from league one we were better defensively but we could not score enough goals to keep us in that league.

As a club I feel we really do need to go back to basics and build from the back first and foremost. The clean sheet is what wins titles. For me this is the one thing Steve Cotteril did when he came into the club in 2010 did, he organised us perfectly as a team defensively and the rest as they say is history.

Many of us on here are saying the same thing and have seen it for a number of seasons now. We need a strong commander of the defence first and foremost. As you have pointed out it's not just the back four it's how we organise as a team when we defend.

If we were prepared to spend £100,000 on Liam Noble then I think we would be better off spending it on a robust League One / Two central defender. Someone like a Graeme Lee, Anders Jacobsen type. Over to you Notts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast