+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's Going Down?

Who's Going Down?

Hello Burnley fans!

My name's John and I'm a Huddersfield Town blogger! I come in peace!

I've done a piece about the relegation battle and I've written a bit about Burnley as well as predicting the final Premier League table, you can find the blog here

https://www.terrierblog.co.uk/single...Are-Staying-Up

Please use the comment section below the blog to let me know what you think, don't worry, I'm reading to don my tin-hat like Ian Holloway when my predictions blow up in my face!

Cheers!

Not a cat in hell's chance of us going down! The Bookies want the gullible punters to place their dosh and blow it!

I have a lot of time for the Terriers and I hope they stay up but they will struggle!

My three to bite the bullet:
    1). Huddersfield Town.
    2). Brighton & Hove Albion.
    3). Watford.

If you visit this site regularly, I'm sorry to say you will discover I'm usually 98% correct. Ain't that right folks?

I admire your faith in placing Huddersfield in 16th place, I think you'll find it more difficult than what you think, Burnley in 18th ? with so many teams not looking the business in the Prem last season I think we have more of a chance of retaining Premier League status Terrier.

I'm perhaps a bit naive with regards to where we may finish, maybe the heart was steering some of the prediction.

With yourselves, it's just a hunch with Keane gone and potentially Gray. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see you finish 15th either!

well...we could me signing Messi & Ronaldo....that would blow all these predictions out of the water.

but really....as other teams - lets see who we do bring in...then lets see how they gel/perform.

...and if we are in want....then the poorer the opposition play - the better it is for us.

If only soccer were so predictable. The analysis is interesting, but things go pear shaped for some clubs once the first games are played.
    Much depends how you start and an early win or two eases the pressure as our home win over Liverpool shows. Several clubs have new managers Palace Southampton and Leicester, so past form may not be replicated. Changes in playing staff and injuries can have dramatic effects see Swansea and LLorente last season.
    We need to be nearer the start of the season to assess teams fairly as Norder says and to see who has pulled the rabbits out of the hat player wise. If we get Assombalonga and he can score in the PL he could be our Llorente.
    The bookies have us in relegation order Huddersfield, Burnley, Brighton, Watford Swansea Newcastle Palace and West Brom, so much will depend on how we perform against each other. It's a league of small margins. There was only a few points between being 17th and 11th so these games are crucial. In our first PL season we lost at home to Wigan. Had we won, they would have gone down in our place. Last season we lost both games to Swansea, had we won them they would have been one point above relegation and we would have been 9th. Had we also won three more away we would have been 8th.

We have a difficult away start this year with five top 8 clubs away from home, but they may be vulnerable then as teams take shape and last year we didn't win many away so any points might be a bonus. We need to repeat or beat the home form and have three relegation competitors West Brom, Palace and you to start with WestHam and Newcastle next so we need to get 5 wins there. In 2018 most of our home games are against top 8 clubs when titles are at stake and teams are established and more difficult to beat, so we need to have points in hand by the New Year or start winning away.
    We are never going to be favourites to win the PL and always near the relegation zone end of betting, along with newly promoted clubs but I think we are consolidating and should see a gradual rise up the league. Only time will tell!

Good luck except when you play us.

Well said oldcolner. Fine margins indeed!

I think you are being over optimistic about your chances of staying up , but don't blame you.

You must still be pinching yourself about being in the Premier League. Similar to us Burnley fans after our Championship play off victory several years ago. At least you are making a better effort in the transfer market than we did at the time.

I think Wagner is a clever manager who fully believes in what he thinks brings success. Whether he has the quality of players to work with is the question that will be answered. I have my doubts although wish we had signed the player from Reading , Williams I think.

Dyche is the key to Burnley staying up and will be an even better manager this season with what he learned about the division and his players last season.

More signings are to come for Burnley and you will not find many fans lamenting the departure of Gray which may seem a strange thing to say for opposition fans .

Keane is another matter and in my opinion we will be in a relegation fight if one of the forthcoming signings is not a centre half of better quality than Tarkowski and Long, two of our current 3 central defenders.

You mentioned Bournemouth staying up comfortably in their first Premier League season in 16th position. Burnley did just the same last season. Bournemouth moved forward again again after that success which is a good indicator for Burnley.

The signings that have already been made are a good sign that Burnley are planning to set down roots in the top league. Signing two experienced Premier League players is a real sign of the progress being made which should give us the advantage over Huddersfield and Brighton.

I hope Huddersfield stay up but if put on the spot would say they are likely to go down with Brighton. I'm not bothered who the other club is but think Watford and Swansea will struggle.

Wildcard prediction : Stoke City.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrierblog View Post
    I'm perhaps a bit naive with regards to where we may finish, maybe the heart was steering some of the prediction.

With yourselves, it's just a hunch with Keane gone and potentially Gray. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see you finish 15th either!
    Gray is terrible couldn't even take on ****agers in a friendly. Can't shoot, even when I offer him 2 quid a goal!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinDublin View Post
    Gray is terrible couldn't even take on ****agers in a friendly. Can't shoot, even when I offer him 2 quid a goal!
    You know that Dublin, a few on here do also, but some say he'll improve with better service and in time will improve his game, hopefully he'll fulfil those improvements at another Club as he's had enough time here to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)