shopify analytics
+ Visit Aberdeen FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stronger on Paper = 2017/18 a Better Team?

Stronger on Paper = 2017/18 a Better Team?

Surely now with KA back, were a much stronger 'looking' side than we had...DM has done extremely well considering we haven't got May or Moult & Maloney (yet).

If we got Moult and Maloney, would we be way closer to challenge?

Good question. As things stand, I'd like to see this team and formation (even though it seems Shinnie's LB days are over)

Lewis
    Logan Arnason Reynolds Shinnie
    Tansey McLean
    Christie Stewart Mackay-Steven
    Rooney (or Maynard)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedRichard View Post
    Good question. As things stand, I'd like to see this team and formation (even though it seems Shinnie's LB days are over)

Lewis
    Logan Arnason Reynolds Shinnie
    Tansey McLean
    Christie Stewart Mackay-Steven
    Rooney (or Maynard)
    I like the look of that side, though Reynolds needs to find some form, and think you are right, sadly, about Shinnie at LB

Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt_Scores View Post
    I like the look of that side, though Reynolds needs to find some form, and think you are right, sadly, about Shinnie at LB
    Reynolds needs a calming infuence around him. Hopefully Arnies the man.

Id sh@te myself with Scott Brown and/or Ash Taylor in the vicinity. To an extent Considine too

I think we will get a good Reynolds now. Fingers crossed
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 14-07-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt_Scores View Post
    I know, sort of ideally I'd have Hector back in there in place of Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Reynolds needs a calming infuence around him. Hopefully Arnies the man.

Id sh@te myself with Scott Brown and/or Ash Taylor in the vicinity. To an extent Considine too

I think we will get a good Reynolds now. Fingers crossed
    Aye fingers crossed, hope you are right! Reckon Shinnie at LB would help too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedRichard View Post
    I know, sort of ideally I'd have Hector back in there in place of Reynolds
    Good call. Would love to see someone like Hector coming into our defence. What's he up to these days?

Jury's still out on Tansey and I'm not yet convinced we'll fill the gap left by Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Don View Post
    Good call. Would love to see someone like Hector coming into our defence. What's he up to these days?

Jury's still out on Tansey and I'm not yet convinced we'll fill the gap left by Hayes.
    Tansey is never going to fill Hayes gap as he is a different player. He was brought in to replace Jack, or at least the space created by the snake.
    I am personally happy enough with the signings DM has made and think we should be there or there abouts again this season.

Hopefully we get a win next week in Bosnia, as that would be a great boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Don View Post

Hector is at Chelsea. Doubt he will get a game too often, but can't see him coming to us, unfortunately.

I am sure Shinnie is mostly going to play midfield for us this season. Good thing too in a way as I feel McLean is not great in the tackle though he is good in the air. While McLean is a really skillful player, as a defensive midfielder he is scary at times. The reason being his tendency to fall down when there is any form of contact as he tries to buy a free kick. He usually stays down to see what will happen so if the free kick isn't given the play is a long way past him by the time he gets back up. This just serves to take himself out of the play if he doesn't get the free kick. When in an advanced position this is often not a huge problem, but if he is just in front of the defence it can let an opposing player run at our defence. We have all seen that end badly. So overall I would rather see Shinnie as a defensive midfielder if we have GMS or Wright wide left.

I thought Stewart looked excellent when he came on on Thursday. Hopefully there are great things to come from him.

Westhill - Home of the new Kingsford Stadium
    On balance, yes it looks like it. However, last season's team was a settled unit that had played together for 2 seasons. This new team will take a little time to get to that level and we need to be prepared for a few yahoos of results between now and Christmas.

Hopefully Greg Stewart and Gary Mackay-Steven can progress to the point we don't miss Hayes and McGinn at all.