+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EFL - The New Order

EFL - The New Order

I know a lot on here have already read this as it's on the most popular Wolves forum but here is the future and even I have to say bring it on!

Btw It's taken a dinosaur like me a long time to see the light!

Strikes me that the old formula for getting promoted from the Championship is on the way out. There's too many of the old guard realising they're not part of the new wave and instead of riding the winds of change they are spending too much time holding onto the prog rock days of gritty, mind-numbing second tier hoofball by openly, and flippantly, displaying total disregard to anything that threatens their Status Quo.

How many times do we hear the words "Championship Experience", "knowing what this Division's about", "being able to handle cold Tuesday night's in Barnsley"? All too familiar, all to cliched, all to uneducated. Luddite catchphrases that are so thin we can see through them, "we know what you're doing, you know!"

It's all garbage, a myth perpetuated by those who need to hold onto the comfort blanket of past ways for job security or just plain comfort. "It's all too fancy dan, you need stamina, grit and determination for this marathon, you need Championship players not Champions League players, you can't buy yourselves promotion......" What you don't need is a large squad of mediocre journeymen just in case one of them can't handle more than 30 games in 10 months!

Knowing how the Championship works doesn't win you the Championship it merely helps you survive. Knowing how a football season works and having quality players with a forward looking coach that can adapt, organise and motivate wins you Championships.

Having a style of play isn't enough, being able to change to Plan B, Plan C and Plan D, with the click of a finger and having no square pegs is where its at. Gone are regimented formations with well seasoned honest pros, in are changeable and flexible tactics with players who can play equally well in number of positions.

Experienced pro's will pass on sage advice to their younger team mates who will learn quickly from their mistakes and cut them out. Experience of how to win is key, not what the dressing rooms at Griffin Park are like.

The game at this level is being played on pitches as smooth as snooker tables not ploughed fields like the Baseball Ground. Yes it will be cold, yes it will rain, yes it will get windy, but no quagmires, frozen pitches or bumpy threadbare penalty areas, they don't exist anymore. They all have undersoil heat and drainage now, don't you know!

There are no more cloggers, physical players yes, but no Terry Hurlock's, no Vinnie Jones's, even Paul Robinson has had his day. Today's hard man equivalent can be bamboozled and bypassed with a triangle of quick passes and poof they're gone.

There are Dinosaurs, they mange at places like Villa Park and St Andrews, pop up on TalkSport and write in regional newspapers, but they'll all be extinct in our lifetime. Pay them no heed, pity them yes, but don't get taken in, they need charity and a place to graze not attention.

The winds of change are reaping their rewards, momentum is growing and many are adapting to a present based in the future not 1970's boot rooms.

We're rid of Piemonstorosaurus in the boardroom, Hoofituptops on the touchline and Dippyplodycus on the pitch. A new dawn has arrived and we've evolved, don't listen to the Dinosaurs, they have big bellies and small brain's, their extinction event is on the horizon, they just haven't seen it yet. Just be grateful you won't be there when it happens.
    Last edited by Evewolf65; 03-08-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65 View Post
    I know a lot on here have already read this as it's on the most popular Wolves forum but here is the future and even I have to say bring it on!

Btw It's taken a dinosaur like me a long time to see the light!

Strikes me that the old formula for getting promoted from the Championship is on the way out. There's too many of the old guard realising they're not part of the new wave and instead of riding the winds of change they are spending too much time holding onto the prog rock days of gritty, mind-numbing second tier hoofball by openly, and flippantly, displaying total disregard to anything that threatens their Status Quo.

How many times do we hear the words "Championship Experience", "knowing what this Division's about", "being able to handle cold Tuesday night's in Barnsley"? All too familiar, all to cliched, all to uneducated. Luddite catchphrases that are so thin we can see through them, "we know what you're doing, you know!"

It's all garbage, a myth perpetuated by those who need to hold onto the comfort blanket of past ways for job security or just plain comfort. "It's all too fancy dan, you need stamina, grit and determination for this marathon, you need Championship players not Champions League players, you can't buy yourselves promotion......" What you don't need is a large squad of mediocre journeymen just in case one of them can't handle more than 30 games in 10 months!

Knowing how the Championship works doesn't win you the Championship it merely helps you survive. Knowing how a football season works and having quality players with a forward looking coach that can adapt, organise and motivate wins you Championships.

Having a style of play isn't enough, being able to change to Plan B, Plan C and Plan D, with the click of a finger and having no square pegs is where its at. Gone are regimented formations with well seasoned honest pros, in are changeable and flexible tactics with players who can play equally well in number of positions.

Experienced pro's will pass on sage advice to their younger team mates who will learn quickly from their mistakes and cut them out. Experience of how to win is key, not what the dressing rooms at Griffin Park are like.

The game at this level is being played on pitches as smooth as snooker tables not ploughed fields like the Baseball Ground. Yes it will be cold, yes it will rain, yes it will get windy, but no quagmires, frozen pitches or bumpy threadbare penalty areas, they don't exist anymore. They all have undersoil heat and drainage now, don't you know!

There are no more cloggers, physical players yes, but no Terry Hurlock's, no Vinnie Jones's, even Paul Robinson has had his day. Today's hard man equivalent can be bamboozled and bypassed with a triangle of quick passes and poof they're gone.

There are Dinosaurs, they mange at places like Villa Park and St Andrews, pop up on TalkSport and write in regional newspapers, but they'll all be extinct in our lifetime. Pay them no heed, pity them yes, but don't get taken in, they need charity and a place to graze not attention.

The winds of change are reaping their rewards, momentum is growing and many are adapting to a present based in the future not 1970's boot rooms.

We're rid of Piemonstorosaurus in the boardroom, Hoofituptops on the touchline and Dippyplodycus on the pitch. A new dawn has arrived and we've evolved, don't listen to the Dinosaurs, they have big bellies and small brain's, their extinction event is on the horizon, they just haven't seen it yet. Just be grateful you won't be there when it happens.

That's s damn fine piece of work! I couldn't agree more and I'd have been proud to write that. Top job Eve, top job!

New to me, very verbose My comment would be, maybe! I hope so as that's the way it looks like we are going. Well we'll know pretty soon won't we.

COMB!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theplater View Post
    That's s damn fine piece of work! I couldn't agree more and I'd have been proud to write that. Top job Eve, top job!
    Not my work Plates Alas shamelessly ripped from MM as I kind of said, I posted it because now it actually reflects what an old **** like me thinks when the lightening bolt finally strikes home!!

You wrote all that eh Eve ? Not a bad piece actually, especially the bit about cold Tuesday nights at our place.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)