+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: York v Notts

York v Notts

It’s very hard to determine the positives from a game like this. Whilst York looked just about settled in terms of starting the new season, Notts were clearly in a state of flux. One thing that stood out from recent seasons is the size of Notts’ players. They are unlikely to be the pygmies of league two and opted for the high ball in attack to give them an advantage over a battling York outfit. It paid off at the kill when a Liam Walker corner was glanced into the net by Pierce Bird in a sweet finish.
    After 22 minutes Ross Fitzsimmons was called upon to produce a classy save when City attacked down the right. That near miss seemed to fire up Notts who grounded the ball and a Jorge Grant effort followed by one from Lewis Alessandra resulted in a fingertip save at the other end.
    Notts were disappointing from dead ball situations, often over-hitting or sky-ing the ball when opportunities presented themselves. I picked out Carl Dickinson for some useful work in the first 45 minutes but his presence lessened after the break.
    Liam Walker’s goal was taken with confidence just before the break. He leashed hit shot from the edge of the area and it took a touch off the post before beating the York keeper.
    Notts seemed to emerge for the second half with the aim of playing more on the ground and a Liam Walker corner in the 53rd minute produced two bites at the cherry but the City keeper was alert. Shola Ameobi produced a powerful shot but Terry Hawkridge took its full force.
    Shortly after Ameobi was replaced by Saunders and the York defence breathed a sigh of relief. Just his presence alone is enough to make Ameobi worth his place.
    Alessandra fashioned an opening but then shot tamely against the boarding. On 82 minutes it looked like a typical Notts performance when Fitzsimmons was penalised for pulling down the York man and John ‘the giant’ Parkin slotted home. We would all have to be happy with a 1-1 draw until Bird’s commanding header.
    Apologies if I mixed up some names due to my position in the stands and the light shade of numbers on the away shirts.
    In summary, Bird and Hollis looked in tandem at the back, Jorge Grant had a quiet day at the office and Liam Walker was my man of the match. Dickinson woeful? I don’t think so. Nicky Hunt looked promising if ring-rusty.

Thanks for the report sid, always good to get the views of someone who was there. Not a bad result considering that only 50% of the first team squad were present. Interesting that you name Liam Walker as your MOM, he's already been written off by a few on here.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    It’s very hard to determine the positives from a game like this. Whilst York looked just about settled in terms of starting the new season, Notts were clearly in a state of flux. One thing that stood out from recent seasons is the size of Notts’ players. They are unlikely to be the pygmies of league two and opted for the high ball in attack to give them an advantage over a battling York outfit. It paid off at the kill when a Liam Walker corner was glanced into the net by Pierce Bird in a sweet finish.
    After 22 minutes Ross Fitzsimmons was called upon to produce a classy save when City attacked down the right. That near miss seemed to fire up Notts who grounded the ball and a Jorge Grant effort followed by one from Lewis Alessandra resulted in a fingertip save at the other end.
    Notts were disappointing from dead ball situations, often over-hitting or sky-ing the ball when opportunities presented themselves. I picked out Carl Dickinson for some useful work in the first 45 minutes but his presence lessened after the break.
    Liam Walker’s goal was taken with confidence just before the break. He leashed hit shot from the edge of the area and it took a touch off the post before beating the York keeper.
    Notts seemed to emerge for the second half with the aim of playing more on the ground and a Liam Walker corner in the 53rd minute produced two bites at the cherry but the City keeper was alert. Shola Ameobi produced a powerful shot but Terry Hawkridge took its full force.
    Shortly after Ameobi was replaced by Saunders and the York defence breathed a sigh of relief. Just his presence alone is enough to make Ameobi worth his place.
    Alessandra fashioned an opening but then shot tamely against the boarding. On 82 minutes it looked like a typical Notts performance when Fitzsimmons was penalised for pulling down the York man and John ‘the giant’ Parkin slotted home. We would all have to be happy with a 1-1 draw until Bird’s commanding header.
    Apologies if I mixed up some names due to my position in the stands and the light shade of numbers on the away shirts.
    In summary, Bird and Hollis looked in tandem at the back, Jorge Grant had a quiet day at the office and Liam Walker was my man of the match. Dickinson woeful? I don’t think so. Nicky Hunt looked promising if ring-rusty.
    Good, in-depth report Sid....thank you

I read that with interest Sid, thanks for taking the time.
    Looking forward to the 1st match thread and of course a win next week...

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    I read that with interest Sid, thanks for taking the time.
    Looking forward to the 1st match thread and of course a win next week...
    Thanks Sid I'll return the reporting obligations if Notts ever play Brisbane Roar.
    Last edited by queenslandpie; 30-07-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Stupid is as Stupid Does Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Cheers for that Sid.. delighted to see you gave man of the match to Walker... could be a decent acquisition, and delighted that Bird chap got on the score sheet... could be the answer Sid?