shopify analytics
+ Visit Barnsley FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea's For The Prediction League Points System

Idea's For The Prediction League Points System

As SB pointed out during his fine tenure as Prediction League CEO we need to keep the league competitive and maintain interest .

The way to do that is to offer a broad scoring system that allows points to be accumulated without actually predicting the correct score which is incredibly difficult .

We also need to be wary of not over complicating the system too much and also ensure the correct forecasted score remains the golden egg .

May I suggest the following

6 points for the correct scoreline

2 points for a single correct goal scorer

1 point for the correct result

For example

A correct prediction of barnsley to win 2-0 with goals from bradshaw and Hammill would yield 11 points

6 for the correct scoreline

4 for the correct goalscorers

1 for the correct result

Could I respectfully suggest that a correct prediction of a 0-0 draw also yield 11 points , it's fairly rare that we see this scoreline these days and is worthy of the premium points yield in my opinion .

I'm happy to wave the deadline for predictions received in view of the fact members really need to know the line ups in order to predict the correct goal scorers and I was never convinced knowing the line ups in the past bore much advantage in anycase .

All posts are timed anyhow so it's impossible to post a prediction at 4.55 pm on a saturday afternoon if you catch my breeze .

Animal is keen for members opinions and open to change and ideas on this , I am merely the CEO and you are the League , for the many not the few and we are a broad church .

Thank You For Your Time

Sounds spot on to me mate.

Does predicting a correct goalscorer include picking players from both teams or just our players?

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Does predicting a correct goalscorer include picking players from both teams or just our players?
    Anyone else with any thoughts on this point ?

My own view is to offer that to both teams but I'm happy to go along with the majority of members wishes .

My thoughts are

6 pts for correct score --OK with that

2 pts for correct scorer-- tha'd ev to limit how many players tha could nominate, otherwise tha could name the whole team, I would say two maximum. Or whatabart just three points for the FIRST (or only) Barnsley goalscorer? I would stick with just the Barnsley scooarers. Researching say the Brentford team for a scorer might be a step too far.

Time limit---That was brought in to avoid those not going to the game for whatever reason evvin an advantage ovva those who have gone to Oakwell or travelled away. Teams are announced abart 2 pm. Suppose tha suppin in tarn or near an away ground and somebody sharts art "He's dropped Bradshaw" and tha'd picked him. How many of us would either not bother to change it or hadn't the IT skills to do it using a phone? Personally I would keep the 3 hour limit but I'm a democrat by nature

Tha gets 6 pts fo the correct scooar which has included 0-0. I agree the score is rare but to almost double the points may be going a bit far. I'd go 8 or 9 points.

I should put a date limit when this consultation period ends.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 16-07-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Some good points there SB .

I'd suggest a consultation period till this coming friday @ midnight .

Perhaps we could do a dummy run for one of the friendlies and iron out any potential flaws before the real action begins .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    As SB pointed out during his fine tenure as Prediction League CEO we need to keep the league competitive and maintain interest .

The way to do that is to offer a broad scoring system that allows points to be accumulated without actually predicting the correct score which is incredibly difficult .

We also need to be wary of not over complicating the system too much and also ensure the correct forecasted score remains the golden egg .

May I suggest the following

6 points for the correct scoreline

2 points for a single correct goal scorer

1 point for the correct result

For example

A correct prediction of barnsley to win 2-0 with goals from bradshaw and Hammill would yield 11 points

6 for the correct scoreline

4 for the correct goalscorers

1 for the correct result

Could I respectfully suggest that a correct prediction of a 0-0 draw also yield 11 points , it's fairly rare that we see this scoreline these days and is worthy of the premium points yield in my opinion .

I'm happy to wave the deadline for predictions received in view of the fact members really need to know the line ups in order to predict the correct goal scorers and I was never convinced knowing the line ups in the past bore much advantage in anycase .

All posts are timed anyhow so it's impossible to post a prediction at 4.55 pm on a saturday afternoon if you catch my breeze .

Animal is keen for members opinions and open to change and ideas on this , I am merely the CEO and you are the League , for the many not the few and we are a broad church .

Thank You For Your Time
    For what it's worth, Animal, I agree with 6 for correct score and 2 for goalscorer but I'd say 3 for correct result (more important to me than goalscorer )
    All the best!

I wouldn't make it too complicated, people like to nip on when they get chance throughout the week and put their prediction on . If your getting points for the goalscorer then you can't really predict til the team is announced. People wouldn't do that as they'd be out for the match Just a thought .
    Last edited by EastStandRed; 16-07-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I wouldn't make it too complicated, people like to nip on when they get chance throughout the week and put their prediction on . If your getting points for the goalscorer then you can't really predict til the team is announced. People wouldn't do that as they'd be out for the match Just a thought .
    Fair point ESR , lets just park the correct scorer for a moment and explore any other options we can come up with .

A bonus point for nearest the correct attendance perhaps ?

A bonus point for predicting when the goals are scored , first or second half ?

why not just leave it as is

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
    We could even do that .

Would you like to see the present format kept including the deadline ?

And ........

I will throw in a random bonus point every game we play .

Examples

Nearest the attendance ?

Nearest time of first goal ?

How many yellow cards ?

Total Corner Count ?

etc , etc

This horse is in imminent danger of becoming a camel

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    This horse is in imminent danger of becoming a camel
    Just brain storming exile , a difficult procedure on tykesmad granted but nothing set in stone .

The brexit negotiations have nothing on us by comparison .

:-)

There is merit in providing incentives to gather points, particularly later in the season when those far behind see no "hope" and lose enthusiasm to predict but it puts people off if it gets too complex. Having read posts above I'd be thinking around

6 pts for correct score
    2 pts for correct result
    3 bonus pts for predicting time of first goal in match by either team with a plus/minus five minute margin

Eg tha predicts a 2-0 win fo Barnsley, it finishes 2-1 but thaz predicted first goal to be in the 19th minute and it is scooared in the 21 st. Tha gets 5 pts, 2 fo the result and 3 fo the goal.

I can't even remember what the original scoring was anymore

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post

I'd leave it as it is with a bonus 4pts for the nearest attendance

DEFINITELY leave it as it was all these suggestions makes it like a pools coupon

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I can't even remember what the original scoring was anymore
    4 pts fo correct score
    1 pt fo correct result (win/draw/looiz)
    based on assumption it was four times harder to get reyt scooar
    Nowt else.

The trouble with predicting the attendance is it takes longer to type in 10,432 than it does to type 1 to 90, so i suggest predicting the minute of first goal instead. That is my prediction for every home game attendance this season btw just in case it is what's needed for bonus points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast