shopify analytics
+ Visit Notts. County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: The most boring pre-season in history?

  1. #1

    The most boring pre-season in history?

    I'm hoping not to spark too much controversy here but is anyone else feeling incredibly bored and dis-interested this pre-season?

    Normally, I'm really excited to see who we are being linked with, how the friendly results are going, who's looking good for the season to come etc...but this season I'm just incredibly bored and uninspired with the whole thing.

    This is not me jumping on the bandwagon of moaning about lack of signings, only signing the dross (my opinion) from last season or the fact that we are going to be extremely stretched for the coming friendlies unless we get some bodies in. I just don't feel the excitement or completely unrealistic optimism that comes with most pre-seasons.

    It all started so well with the new kit and the way it was released with the video etc but after that I have just slowly lost interest.

    Anyone else feeling this way or am I in need of sectioning?

  2. #2
    Usually at this time of the season when the "Where will we finish?" thread is started the majority of the predictions are for a top 7 finish.
    I can't see that being the case this time. When you consider the best 11 currently available I can only see a team which will concede more goals than it scores, and it would need a few better than average signings to change that. My only hope is that Nolan can unearth a couple of gems in the loan market, which is no easy task because nearly all clubs in the lower divisions are chasing them.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by NCFC_Andy_NCFC View Post
    I'm hoping not to spark too much controversy here but is anyone else feeling incredibly bored and dis-interested this pre-season?

    Normally, I'm really excited to see who we are being linked with, how the friendly results are going, who's looking good for the season to come etc...but this season I'm just incredibly bored and uninspired with the whole thing.

    This is not me jumping on the bandwagon of moaning about lack of signings, only signing the dross (my opinion) from last season or the fact that we are going to be extremely stretched for the coming friendlies unless we get some bodies in. I just don't feel the excitement or completely unrealistic optimism that comes with most pre-seasons.

    It all started so well with the new kit and the way it was released with the video etc but after that I have just slowly lost interest.

    Anyone else feeling this way or am I in need of sectioning?

    Al gave the impression that we were gonna make some "wow" signings and that hasn't happened, (so far). That's what has put the mockers on it. For Gawd's sake stay off tw@tter Al.

  4. #4
    I normally have a pre season punt on us getting promotion.
    This coming season I've put my money on other teams !

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NCFC_Andy_NCFC View Post
    I'm hoping not to spark too much controversy here but is anyone else feeling incredibly bored and dis-interested this pre-season?

    Normally, I'm really excited to see who we are being linked with, how the friendly results are going, who's looking good for the season to come etc...but this season I'm just incredibly bored and uninspired with the whole thing.

    This is not me jumping on the bandwagon of moaning about lack of signings, only signing the dross (my opinion) from last season or the fact that we are going to be extremely stretched for the coming friendlies unless we get some bodies in. I just don't feel the excitement or completely unrealistic optimism that comes with most pre-seasons.

    It all started so well with the new kit and the way it was released with the video etc but after that I have just slowly lost interest.

    Anyone else feeling this way or am I in need of sectioning?
    I suspect you mean 'uninterested' and not 'disinterested', (one compound word, no hyphen). As I get tired of pointing out, there is a big difference between the two. Refs and judges need to be disinterested, bored people are uninterested.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NCFC_Andy_NCFC View Post
    I'm hoping not to spark too much controversy here but is anyone else feeling incredibly bored and dis-interested this pre-season?

    Normally, I'm really excited to see who we are being linked with, how the friendly results are going, who's looking good for the season to come etc...but this season I'm just incredibly bored and uninspired with the whole thing.

    This is not me jumping on the bandwagon of moaning about lack of signings, only signing the dross (my opinion) from last season or the fact that we are going to be extremely stretched for the coming friendlies unless we get some bodies in. I just don't feel the excitement or completely unrealistic optimism that comes with most pre-seasons.

    It all started so well with the new kit and the way it was released with the video etc but after that I have just slowly lost interest.

    Anyone else feeling this way or am I in need of sectioning?
    Totally Agree.
    Worried not excited about the new season already.

  7. #7
    I have a very enthusiastic 12 year old who keeps me going but I am starting to struggle especially after following and believing everything AH said on twitter but we will both be at the game Wednesday !

  8. #8
    It's hard to get excited when you're going to be fielding the same defence that let in so.many goals last season and our two better players last year have returned to their parent clubs with no real replacements to fill the gap.

    It sounds horrible, but a couple of injuries in pre-season might focus some minds and get signings rolling

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I have a very enthusiastic 12 year old who keeps me going
    Mate, you should have just bought your lad a stick and said 'here you go mate, just keep hitting yourself with this, it will go numb eventually'....

    Seriously, I met my first wife at a Notts match and my adult daughter is a season ticket holder along with both sides of the family, we're pure, no red anywhere to be found in my lineage.

  10. #10
    Curtis Thopmpson went off injured against basford, looked like a hamstring how he pulled up

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpie View Post
    Mate, you should have just bought your lad a stick and said 'here you go mate, just keep hitting yourself with this, it will go numb eventually'....

    Seriously, I met my first wife at a Notts match and my adult daughter is a season ticket holder along with both sides of the family, we're pure, no red anywhere to be found in my lineage.
    I have never managed to instil much enthusiasm for Notts in either of my two batches of children. The first time I really tried, signed them up as Junior Magpies or whatever and took them to the home games, and even a few aways. The interest didn't last much later than the first Great Escape. If I ask my daughter now why she has no interest in football when she used to enjoy it, she just says she only went because I was her Dad and she wanted me to like her.

    After hearing that rather sad tale, I decided I wouldn't force my youngest two girls to go, and nothing Trew ever did encouraged me to change my mind. Hardy is more girl friendly, but it's too late now. I take them to ballet, swimming and horse riding at the weekends when my wife is working. I now have fit children who can dance, swim and ride. That's probably for the best in the long run.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I have never managed to instil much enthusiasm for Notts in either of my two batches of children. The first time I really tried, signed them up as Junior Magpies or whatever and took them to the home games, and even a few aways. The interest didn't last much later than the first Great Escape. If I ask my daughter now why she has no interest in football when she used to enjoy it, she just says she only went because I was her Dad and she wanted me to like her.

    After hearing that rather sad tale, I decided I wouldn't force my youngest two girls to go, and nothing Trew ever did encouraged me to change my mind. Hardy is more girl friendly, but it's too late now. I take them to ballet, swimming and horse riding at the weekends when my wife is working. I now have fit children who can dance, swim and ride. That's probably for the best in the long run.
    My daughter was playing for Arnold Town until she went to Uni and represented the County at athletics, they can't do everything and she actually gave up badminton and swimming to concentrate on football.

    May have been a family thing that encouraged her as she'd be there with the ex wife, her uncles and cousins so it was an outing as well as a match. They all used to go to probably 2/3 of away games as well but ultimately they'll like what they like.
    Last edited by Vladpie; 17-07-2017 at 01:45 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpie View Post
    Mate, you should have just bought your lad a stick and said 'here you go mate, just keep hitting yourself with this, it will go numb eventually'....

    Seriously, I met my first wife at a Notts match and my adult daughter is a season ticket holder along with both sides of the family, we're pure, no red anywhere to be found in my lineage.
    To be honest mate i never pushed him into becoming a Notts fan ( I let make his own mind up ) but when he did it was a bit like rediscovering Christmas for me . I have always watched Notts apart from when I was away for long periods of time but last season we went to nearly every home match and 5 away !

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    To be honest mate i never pushed him into becoming a Notts fan ( I let make his own mind up ) but when he did it was a bit like rediscovering Christmas for me . I have always watched Notts apart from when I was away for long periods of time but last season we went to nearly every home match and 5 away !
    If the good times return it will make it all the more enjoyable.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpie View Post
    If the good times return it will make it all the more enjoyable.
    Its funny how kids are easily pleased , we went to Wycombe , the only away game we saw Notts win , my lad thought we where fantastic , I thought we where crap but they where crapper ! Win or lose, I will still enjoy watching Notts with my lad !

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Its funny how kids are easily pleased , we went to Wycombe , the only away game we saw Notts win , my lad thought we where fantastic , I thought we where crap but they where crapper ! Win or lose, I will still enjoy watching Notts with my lad !
    And that, to a large extent, is what it's all about.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Its funny how kids are easily pleased , we went to Wycombe , the only away game we saw Notts win , my lad thought we where fantastic , I thought we where crap but they where crapper ! Win or lose, I will still enjoy watching Notts with my lad !
    Nice post, navypie.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by NCFC_Andy_NCFC View Post
    I'm hoping not to spark too much controversy here but is anyone else feeling incredibly bored and dis-interested this pre-season?

    Normally, I'm really excited to see who we are being linked with, how the friendly results are going, who's looking good for the season to come etc...but this season I'm just incredibly bored and uninspired with the whole thing.

    This is not me jumping on the bandwagon of moaning about lack of signings, only signing the dross (my opinion) from last season or the fact that we are going to be extremely stretched for the coming friendlies unless we get some bodies in. I just don't feel the excitement or completely unrealistic optimism that comes with most pre-seasons.

    It all started so well with the new kit and the way it was released with the video etc but after that I have just slowly lost interest.

    Anyone else feeling this way or am I in need of sectioning?
    If you are in need of sectioning, then I shall be in the same unit. I've got minimal enthusiasm for the new season and considerable frustration at the way we've re-signed players who are past their sell-by date whilst junking a young player who had plenty to offer. The signings have also been uninspiring, although it could be that Hawkridge and Alessandra will prove to be underrated.

    in my opinion, we still need two big centre-halves, another midfielder (not Noble), another wide player and a striker.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I suspect you mean 'uninterested' and not 'disinterested', (one compound word, no hyphen). As I get tired of pointing out, there is a big difference between the two. Refs and judges need to be disinterested, bored people are uninterested.
    You need to get out more Zzzzzzzzzzzz

  20. #20
    Get a life Andy! We have played the bastions of the football world, Hucknall RR and Basford Utd and all you can do is moan..!!!! We won both too.....what more do you want..... ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •