+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elvis Presley 78 LP on Sun records

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    This era I remember very well. Saw the film Blackboard Jungle in Clacton while on holiday. Bill Haley and the Comets played the signature tune and the film as I remember starred Glenn Ford, Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow and Sal Mineo. I can't remember anybody else but the signature tune really started proper Rock n' Roll in this country and made Haley the main man for a while. The film you refer to came a little later and Haley and the Comets were the main stars.
    Then followed a rash of cheap rock n roll films until along came The Girl Can't Help It. great days.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Then followed a rash of cheap rock n roll films until along came The Girl Can't Help It. great days.
    Won't dwell long on this uysapie but they were great days (Down the 'Vic before it became the Locarno) with Al Washbrook's band and others. To me, the Beatles were rubbish in comparison to the Yanks. You could hear every word spoken and the likes of Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran et al were brilliant. Even though Little Richard was not quite as good, his band with the sax's made a great sound.

Makes me smile sometimes when I see today's youngsters attempting to jive ....... not a bloody clue. The one English guy I really liked was Donegan although Lonnie did seem to pinch a lot of American written songs. If you want to see him perform 'Grand Coulee Dam' google Youtube to see the clip ...brilliant.

Won't dwell long on this uysapie but they were great days (Down the 'Vic before it became the Locarno) with Al Washbrook's band and others. To me, the Beatles were rubbish in comparison to the Yanks. You could hear every word spoken and the likes of Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran et al were brilliant. Even though Little Richard was not quite as good, his band with the sax's made a great sound.

Makes me smile sometimes when I see today's youngsters attempting to jive ....... not a bloody clue. The one English guy I really liked was Donegan although Lonnie did seem to pinch a lot of American written songs. If you want to see him perform 'Grand Coulee Dam' google Youtube to see the clip ...brilliant.
    As you say, not to dwell on it but Tommy Steele was my English favourite, never did like the Beatles.

I met Lonnie Donnegan in Nequests Music Shop at the side of the Theatre Royal when he starred in the Pantomime at the Theatre in 1960 I believe, it was Lonnie and later Buddy Holly who got me into playing the guitar. As I remember Lonnie played Buttons in Aladin I went 2 or 3 times a week and sat in the Gods to watch him perform, a class act.
    Have to say you are totally wrong about the Beatles though the group I played in were invited to Apple Records to make a demo disc of our own material sadly we did not make it but the Beatles were as song writers were excellent, as performers sadly we missed the best of them that was reserved for the Hamburg days, as we were told when we performed at the Star and Top Ten Club, they tore those clubs apart.
    Last edited by Bridg4d_Pie_; 20-07-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    As you say, not to dwell on it but Tommy Steele was my English favourite, never did like the Beatles.
    Got The autographs of Tommy Steele and The Beatles when they were in Blackpool in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    I met Lonnie Donnegan in Nequests Music Shop at the side of the Theatre Royal when he starred in the Pantomime at the Theatre in 1960 I believe, it was Lonnie and later Buddy Holly who got me into playing the guitar. As I remember Lonnie played Buttons in Aladin I went 2 or 3 times a week and sat in the Gods to watch him perform, a class act.
    Have to say you are totally wrong about the Beatles though the group I played in were invited to Apple Records to make a demo disc of our own material sadly we did not make it but the Beatles were as song writers were excellent, as performers sadly we missed the best of them that was reserved for the Hamburg days, as we were told when we performed at the Star and Top Ten Club, they tore those clubs apart.
    All a matter of opinion I suppose Bridg4d. Uggh!......Tommy Steele 'Rock with the Caveman' very tinny and poor! A far better entertainer than musician. I may be wrong but I thought Tommy played Buttons in that pantomime. I remember Nequests music shop but I thought Jack Brentnall's music shop was joined on to the Theatre Royal. Whatever, Jack was chairman of Forest for a spell I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Got The autographs of Tommy Steele and The Beatles when they were in Blackpool in the 60's.
    Still both rubbish compared to the Yanks Joe!!

All a matter of opinion I suppose Bridg4d. Uggh!......Tommy Steele 'Rock with the Caveman' very tinny and poor! A far better entertainer than musician. I may be wrong but I thought Tommy played Buttons in that pantomime. I remember Nequests music shop but I thought Jack Brentnall's music shop was joined on to the Theatre Royal. Whatever, Jack was chairman of Forest for a spell I seem to remember.
    Continued ...... I'm still before your time Bridg4d. You won't remember Alan Roper would you? He sang a bit and played the bass in Al Washbrook's band and was in the year ahead of me at the Bluecoat. Still alive I believe, came from Bilborough. I'm talking the mid 50's!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123