+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Gibson part two

so, Brayson failed to make the grade because NUFC didn't have a reserve team?

even though he couldn't get a break at any if the other clubs that did either?

he simply wasn't good enough, no reserve team would turn him into a player that was (see Michael Chopra)

Carrick is just another in a long line of one's that slipped the net, all clubs have them.

reserve teams used to be used to house players who could not get into the 1st team and to bring players back from injury, now they are a place in between youth team and 1st team, a place that does absolutely nothing to develop players as they do not play competitive football.

Keegan dis not do anything that hampered the development of NUFC, on fact it was quote the opposite, he made us the club we are today, rather than one languishing neear the foot of the 2nd tier, with a dilapidated stadium that was only half full.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    nope he dumped the reserves
    Blyth Spartans striker Paul Brayson says careers were wrecked at Newcastle United by the decision to dump the reserves in the late 1990's.

It was a move by Kevin Keegan that many feel set the club's youth system back several years and prevented the development of young Geordie talent.

Kenny Dalglish restored the reserves in 1997 but the former reserve and youth team hotshot felt it was too late.

Brayson told the Evening Chronicle: "It was a shocking decision really.

"I was fortunate in a way because I was still young enough to play for the youth team.

"But you would see players slightly older than me only having a game every few weeks."

Brayson did make two appearances in the Coca-Cola Cup but chances were limited as United came agonisingly close to winning the title in 1996.

He added: "It stopped players progressing in their careers because they weren't getting regular football.

"And I think it made a lot of younger lads think twice about joining the club."

even carver once talked about why we missd out on carrick

they had no reserve team and they asked carver once he leaves the academy where does he play

carver told them the first team

they said your joking they had the entertainers at the time so he went elsewhere
    Have you seen the list of teams he's played for Paul Brayson that is. 13 of them and most going downhill in grade and rarely more than a couple of years at any of them. If they had wanted to progress and were anyway near good enough they would have been snapped up.

i dont care who he played for the point is we dint have a reserve side

as per carvers comments as well

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    i dont care who he played for the point is we dint have a reserve side

as per carvers comments as well
    WaalsendMick's version happens to be the correct and truthful one no matter how many care to run the club and KK over the matter.

You must remember the protests and the reasons for them when Fergie was allowed to get away with breaching the rules. It was loudly complained about by several clubs besides us.

my point was, Keegan didn't dump the reserves. the club backed his stance and they were expelled as a result.

not Keegan fault, there lies the myth.

Michael Carrick returns to his native Newcastle today, determined to notch up a first win at St James' Park and help fire Manchester United back into title contention.

Carrick has never won at Toon with West Ham, Tottenham and United, but the midfielder is set to be recalled to the starting line-up by Sir Alex Ferguson for tonight's encounter.

Born in Wallsend, Carrick could, ironically, have been lining up for Newcastle against United today, had Kevin Keegan not disbanded the reserve section in his first spell at St James' Park.

That forced Carrick, then 15, to leave the north-east and head to West Ham, because he felt he would not make it on Tyneside because of the lack of opportunities for young players.

the above is from the mirror

thsi si from the nufc blog
    When Kevin Keegan was at the club, he did away with the Reserve side, and we never could understand that, but it cost Newcastle a few top youngsters at the time, because where were they going to get a game as they progressed through the club, from the U18s?

John Carver was involved when Newcastle could have had Michael Carrick at Newcastle, when he was playing for Wallsend Boys Club at the time (1996), but instead he went to West Ham United, simply because he could see himself progressing and getting games down south.

i think i remeber it as these

whatever happened he did us a lot of harm and put our youth footy back years

I am fully aware of all the media released stories.

that is why it is a myth....

I give up!

nobody is denying the reserves were disbanded, not the fact it was on Keegan's watch.

I am merely pointing out, it was not solely his decision, but shepherd and hall are happy for him to shoulder the blame.

im sure the dummy spitting kk would have walked if he hadnt agreed to it

lets face it he is a serial coward and walks whenever he doesnt get his way
    city england us etc tec

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post

I give up!

nobody is denying the reserves were disbanded, not the fact it was on Keegan's watch.

I am merely pointing out, it was not solely his decision, but shepherd and hall are happy for him to shoulder the blame.
    I remember seeing a table, a couple of years of % truth in newspaper sports reporting and supposed scoops and the Guardian was most truthful with I believe about 48% correct right down to the bottom ones, the likes of the Mail, Star and Sun with around about 14/15% truth.

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post

I give up!

and so he should he was the manager of all things footy

you start of saying he did because of the pitch and end up saying we did because the two great geordie owners thought it a great idea to throw away all the great local geordie talent
    and what makes it worse
    a footy man like kk let them get away with it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)