+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis Gibson part two

Lewis Gibson part two

It just seems a shame to lose this lad because at the moment Everton appear to be a "bigger" club than us.

You would never imagine a situation like this under the KK era, first session or under Sir Bobby. No player then would entertain it.

I wondered at his age what the rules were and could we have inserted a buy back clause as the big four cover themselves with before they allow a possible future talent to move on, usually in their cases because of the numbers on their books. i.e. they can't keep them all and some will prosper and others fall by the wayside.

how many players did they bring through

didn't kk do away with the reserve sides ??

we very rarely bring through local talent
    there was one season I remember I'm sure Southampton had more geordies there reserve side or some stat like that anyway

there was once athread where we had a team of geordies from the prem who we had missed out on ,whilst I'm sure we only had 2 in our team shola being one and I'm sure staylor the other (a southerner really )

If he's a local lad who wants to play for someone else he can fuck right off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    how many players did they bring through

didn't kk do away with the reserve sides ??

we very rarely bring through local talent
    there was one season I remember I'm sure Southampton had more geordies there reserve side or some stat like that anyway

there was once athread where we had a team of geordies from the prem who we had missed out on ,whilst I'm sure we only had 2 in our team shola being one and I'm sure staylor the other (a southerner really )
    Taylor was only a southerner by the fact that his Geordie parents were temporarily darn sarf.

If a cat has kittens in the dog kennel they aren't puppies they are still kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    It just seems a shame to lose this lad because at the moment Everton appear to be a "bigger" club than us.

You would never imagine a situation like this under the KK era, first session or under Sir Bobby. No player then would entertain it.

I wondered at his age what the rules were and could we have inserted a buy back clause as the big four cover themselves with before they allow a possible future talent to move on, usually in their cases because of the numbers on their books. i.e. they can't keep them all and some will prosper and others fall by the wayside.
    It's a massive shame but at the minute - I really hope it'll change - Everton are bring players through their academy and there also challenging at the top end of the prem.

In regards to rules and inserted buy back clauses - we can do nothing. He's not signed a professional contract so all that is being negotiated is our compensation.

Massive massive shame.

Just remember we got Brendan Galloway from them, who equally could be a top prospect.

KK did NOT do away with the reserves!

how many times has this tired one been done?

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    KK did NOT do away with the reserves!

how many times has this tired one been done?
    Yes he did.

he didn't!

he wanted to preserve the st James park pitch, so he staged reserve games at alternative venues.

he was threatened by the fa or football league or whoever, that failure to play your reserve fixtures at your ground, would result in expulsion from the reserve league.

KK wanted to protect the pitch because of the brand of football his team played, the NUFC board (I.E. shepherd and Hall) backed him on this, and our reserve team was expelled from the then central league.

meanwhile man Utd and Alex Ferguson gained permission to play all of their reserve fixtures at Gigg lane, home of Bury FC.

when things went tits up, Fat Freddy allowed the myth to be, our fringe players weren't up to it, because KK cancelled the reserves.

in reality, there is not, and has not been for many a year, any such thing as a reserve team.

nobody plays their fringe players in 2nd team games, so KK made a stance, one backed by his board of directors, one that had an implication that made little or no difference to the 1st team.

I'm sure this has been said a thousand times (on this forum alone) bit let's not let the facts spoil a good myth

nope he dumped the reserves
    Blyth Spartans striker Paul Brayson says careers were wrecked at Newcastle United by the decision to dump the reserves in the late 1990's.

It was a move by Kevin Keegan that many feel set the club's youth system back several years and prevented the development of young Geordie talent.

Kenny Dalglish restored the reserves in 1997 but the former reserve and youth team hotshot felt it was too late.

Brayson told the Evening Chronicle: "It was a shocking decision really.

"I was fortunate in a way because I was still young enough to play for the youth team.

"But you would see players slightly older than me only having a game every few weeks."

Brayson did make two appearances in the Coca-Cola Cup but chances were limited as United came agonisingly close to winning the title in 1996.

He added: "It stopped players progressing in their careers because they weren't getting regular football.

"And I think it made a lot of younger lads think twice about joining the club."

even carver once talked about why we missd out on carrick

they had no reserve team and they asked carver once he leaves the academy where does he play

carver told them the first team

they said your joking they had the entertainers at the time so he went elsewhere

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)