+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jardi

jardi

Testing one two three

It's been a while Jardi
    What's your thoughts on everything Queens ? Our performance on Tuesday night , the unfortunate resignation of the SLO , the lack of interest among supporters these days when the club asks for help ( Guid Nychburris float for example had ONE volunteer ) how to get an atmosphere back to Palmerston and is Naysmith good enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    It's been a while Jardi
    What's your thoughts on everything Queens ? Our performance on Tuesday night , the unfortunate resignation of the SLO , the lack of interest among supporters these days when the club asks for help ( Guid Nychburris float for example had ONE volunteer ) how to get an atmosphere back to Palmerston and is Naysmith good enough ?
    We sure require some of Jardi's rationale and wisdom to balance some of the recent hyperbole posted on this site that's for sure.

Arrol I haven't had much time to post of late, - but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Jacob's lackadaisical attitude to the first penalty kick, - which I knew immediately he was going to miss! Taking just two steps backwards is a sure sign that you're too cocky, and both he and Tapping should have their arses kicked. Naysmith should kick his own arse for not naming Dobbie as the first penalty taker, - who ultimately showed us how it's done.

To be fair to Queens, they should have wrapped the match up long before the 90 minutes, but EK packed the defence and they'd obviously practiced penalties because they took 4 beauties. A worthwhile strategy because they got an extra point. Naysmith must make it a priority for all his players to practice pens from now on.

I was quite disgusted at Queens pre season matches; - why oh why do we insist in playing teams who are of lesser quality? The only way to improve your squad is to stretch them with for example a North East tour of Middlesborough, Sunderland and Newcastle, - followed by a match against our local rivals, - Carlisle, - not farting about against Annan and Stenhousemuir (which had to be cancelled due to the impending cup game)

Talking of stretching, - it was clear on Tuesday night that Queens had played a lot of small, one touch games and they ripped EK apart on many occasions, - but they hadn't had enough full pitch practice to really finish them off, - and instead they tried to walk the ball into the net. Don't get me wrong, - I'm an advocate of one touch football and close control, - but if that's all that you know, - you can't translate that into a match on a 100 x 50 metre pitch.

Taking your other points in order I'm very sorry indeed to see Christine depart, - as she was really good for Queens; - I'm also utterly dumbfounded at the impending departure of a QOS legend.

To bring back interest among local supporters, - you certainly don't do it by drawing 0-0 at home with a non league outfit, - and then have your senior players acting like they don't need to really bother when taking a penalty kick.

I know I've said it before and many disagree, but the Cup games are the most important matches for Queens; that's what gets people interested and brings people away from their TV's, - so we should be prioritising cup matches, not treating them with disdain.

One thing I'd like to see to bring youngsters back to Palmy is this:

For every home match, - I'd like to see the club invite a local team, one match Heston, the next Greystone, then Lochar, then a schools select(and so on) to provide 20 kids and the opposition team e.g. Dunfermline or Falkirk to do likewise.

The central portion of the pitch is then coned off with 5 a side goals at either end of the central line; when the teams come out to train 40 minutes or so before kick off, - they use their respective goals ( at either end of the full pitch), - but a couple of senior players from each squad takes it in turns to coach the kids for 5 to 8 minutes followed by another 4 and so on. In that way , the kids get a fantastic day out, and something that they will remember for the rest of their lives, - while the professionals get hands on coaching.

At half time the 5 a side goals are brought back from the side of the pitch and the cones replaced, - whereupon the Queens select side plays the opposition select side, with rolling subs so that every kid gets an opportunity to play. They play 7 minutes each way, - with the crowd cheering on their team, - finishing just before the resumption of the match.

Not only will it keep the crowd entertained, - but it should help to boost the attendance with hopefully, mums, dads, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends of every child coming along from both teams to see their precious little one have a full coaching session and a match in front of a Championship crowd.

Certificates can be given to each child as a keep sake, - perhaps in the form of team sheets with the kids names printed on the back? That would be something that they would be very proud of receiving and it may entice others to get involved, a bit like the Blue Peter badge concept.

In terms of logistics; a few telephone calls to youth teams across the region to gauge interest and a bit of hands on from the 20's on the day, - who would move goals posts and act as referees and assisting with the coaching.

To me, that's a simple way of making the match day exciting for youngsters, providing them with a lasting memory and encouraging them to support their local team and bringing extra people to the match who might not normally bother.

Once we have the kids back on board, - then we can ask them and their parents to get involved with the Guid Nychburris float.

Is Naysmith good enough? - I'm not sure, - but he must be more positive and play his part in bringing people back to Palmerston.

That's enough for just now!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Arrol I haven't had much time to post of late, - but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Jacob's lackadaisical attitude to the first penalty kick, - which I knew immediately he was going to miss! Taking just two steps backwards is a sure sign that you're too cocky, and both he and Tapping should have their arses kicked. Naysmith should kick his own arse for not naming Dobbie as the first penalty taker, - who ultimately showed us how it's done.

To be fair to Queens, they should have wrapped the match up long before the 90 minutes, but EK packed the defence and they'd obviously practiced penalties because they took 4 beauties. A worthwhile strategy because they got an extra point. Naysmith must make it a priority for all his players to practice pens from now on.

I was quite disgusted at Queens pre season matches; - why oh why do we insist in playing teams who are of lesser quality? The only way to improve your squad is to stretch them with for example a North East tour of Middlesborough, Sunderland and Newcastle, - followed by a match against our local rivals, - Carlisle, - not farting about against Annan and Stenhousemuir (which had to be cancelled due to the impending cup game)

Talking of stretching, - it was clear on Tuesday night that Queens had played a lot of small, one touch games and they ripped EK apart on many occasions, - but they hadn't had enough full pitch practice to really finish them off, - and instead they tried to walk the ball into the net. Don't get me wrong, - I'm an advocate of one touch football and close control, - but if that's all that you know, - you can't translate that into a match on a 100 x 50 metre pitch.

Taking your other points in order I'm very sorry indeed to see Christine depart, - as she was really good for Queens; - I'm also utterly dumbfounded at the impending departure of a QOS legend.

To bring back interest among local supporters, - you certainly don't do it by drawing 0-0 at home with a non league outfit, - and then have your senior players acting like they don't need to really bother when taking a penalty kick.

I know I've said it before and many disagree, but the Cup games are the most important matches for Queens; that's what gets people interested and brings people away from their TV's, - so we should be prioritising cup matches, not treating them with disdain.

For every home match, - I'd like to see the club invite a local team, one match Heston, the next Greystone, then Lochar, then a schools select(and so on) to provide 20 kids and the opposition team e.g. Dunfermline or Falkirk to do likewise.

The central portion of the pitch is then coned off with 5 a side goals at either end of the central line; when the teams come out to train 40 minutes or so before kick off, - they use their respective goals ( at either end of the full pitch), - but a couple of senior players from each squad takes it in turns to coach the kids for 5 to 8 minutes followed by another 4 and so on. In that way , the kids get a fantastic day out, and something that they will remember for the rest of their lives, - while the professionals get hands on coaching.

At half time the 5 a side goals are brought back from the side of the pitch and the cones replaced, - whereupon the Queens select side plays the opposition select side, with rolling subs so that every kid gets an opportunity to play. They play 7 minutes each way, - with the crowd cheering on their team, - finishing just before the resumption of the match.

Not only will it keep the crowd entertained, - but it should help to boost the attendance with hopefully, mums, dads, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends of every child coming along from both teams to see their precious little one have a full coaching session and a match in front of a Championship crowd.

Certificates can be given to each child as a keep sake, - perhaps in the form of team sheets with the kids names printed on the back? That would be something that they would be very proud of receiving and it may entice others to get involved, a bit like the Blue Peter badge concept.

In terms of logistics; a few telephone calls to youth teams across the region to gauge interest and a bit of hands on from the 20's on the day, - who would move goals posts and act as referees and assisting with the coaching.

To me, that's a simple way of making the match day exciting for youngsters, providing them with a lasting memory and encouraging them to support their local team and bringing extra people to the match who might not normally bother.

Once we have the kids back on board, - then we can ask them and their parents to get involved with the Guid Nychburris float.

Is Naysmith good enough? - I'm not sure, - but he must be more positive and play his part in bringing people back to Palmerston.

Some good ideas there Jardi, not least those relating to pre-season. It amazes me that we play these 'same old, same old' fixtures every year when pre-season is a chance to stretch our legs a bit, see somewhere new and get the team up to speed by playing decent opposition. A North East tour would be great and something I for one would try to take in.

Brilliant response yet again Jardi
    On the subject of volunteers I was shocked to hear that only the one person stepped forward to help young Dan Armstrong with the Queens float . That's nothing short of embarrassing but saying that a request to 25 fans at the SLO meeting and a small reminder on the OS was also nowhere good enough . The club need to do better in that respect
    The ground yet again needs its annual clean up but Queens never asked this year which is no surprise after the terrible turnout last time
    In the past the Travel Club worked with Queens in making an absolutely fantastic float for Guid Nychburris and we'd see a brilliant turnout for the Palmerston clean up . Where are the volunteers now ? Why aren't they showing up and more ?

This is a major concern IMO

Thanks for your deliberations once again Jardi as they had been missed.
    I totally agree with your approach of encouraging local youth teams and schools to come on board as if we can get then through the turnstiles as groups then the parents and extended families will come along to support their offspring. Not so sure about the North east tour because of two aspects. Firstly the EFL season starts considerably later than ours and consequently they may not be in a position to paly these games when we want and secondly why would they wish to play weaker teams as part of their build up similarly to what you think of Queens playing the likes of Annan and Stenhousemuir.
    As for Naysmith he now has no excuses as it is now his team rather than one he inherited but lets give him a fighting chance and hopefully we can cut out the booing when things do not go well. I can think of no more dispiriting thing for a group of players starting off on a seasons campaign to be booed from the pitch especially in the first home game. Hopefully there will be some more players to come in to bolster the squad adding quality in certain areas which are lightweight currently.
    Mon the South.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post

I thank for your post and hope some of the suggestions are at least considered by the powers that be.

a. I agree about the penalty kick situation - an absolute shambles - do they practice penalties in training ? - Dobbie should have taken the first one and got us off to a flying start.
    b. I agree the game should never have gone to penalties. I was not impressed with EK and on another night we would have humped them - this is small comfort to the fans.
    c. We must have better pre-season preparation with a higher level of opposition. Cowdenbeath,Annan and Fleetwood fielded a mixture of trialists and youth players. Queens did not looked prepared against Annan and were awful in the first half.
    d. I am not a football coach but the crossing of the ball against EK was appalling and must be addressed.
    e. Sorry to see Christine go but I'm afraid her communication skills left much to be desired and perhaps the SLO job was too much for her. However she got little support in organising the half-time entertainment.
    f. Bringing back interest among local supporters is difficult but results on the field dictate. A delivery chap who was at my home this morning used to go to every match home and away with his mate. They got fed up with what was on offer and now prefers to work on Saturdays instead.
    g. I'm sure Cup matches are given the utmost priority and poor results are dictated by poor form,injuries etc.
    h. I agree we must attract more youngsters back to Palmy but I'm not convinced your suggestion is workable. A five a side match taking place alongside the player's warm up would be difficult and I don't think the attendance would be boosted much by family and friends.The five a side game would probably kick-off in front of an almost empty stadium and persuading the punters in the Arena and Social club to arrive early is a big ask. Many youngsters have also turned their backs on Queens because of the singing issue but Queens have every right to make a stand on bad behaveiour. The issue of the Guid Nychburris float was disappointing but most of past stawarts including those great people from the Queens Trust and Travel Club have gradually lost interest.
    i. Is Naysmith good enough - The jury is out in my opinion and a distinct upturn in Queen's fortunes must prevail or we will be in trouble by Xmas.
    j. I think expectation levels Palmy are perhaps too high and the reality is that we are a modest provincial club struggling to keep our heads above water in a football scene in Scotland thet is slowly dying due to lack of investment. We are not alone - just look around Scotland with most clubs back to their bare bones. In their present state with crowds hovering around 1,000 it is madness for Queens to remain a full-time. Another medeocre season and I can see going part-time with a big influx of local players.
    k. I also agree it is shameful that a former legend of the club will be leaving - the disgraceful ridicule which he and his former partner have had to face on here and Social Media is quite unacceptable. Mr Hewitson and his directors should not be immune from criticism but one must remember that it is his money along with fellow directors that have kept the club afloat over the years. Mr Hewitson has also done a magnificent job in rebuilding the Queens Arena which now returns more revenue than Tesco paid. He has stated that he and his directors are exploring new projects to earn more revenue for Queens.
    l. These are tough times for Queens so we must rally the troops and I'm a fare sized support will be heading for Hamilton on Saturday to cheer the lads on.

COME AWAY THE QUEENS
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 21-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Admin, - thanks for your responses, - almost all of which I agree with.

The only point that perhaps I didn't make clear was this: -h) Regarding the 20 kids from either side; - the area designated for them to train and play on was a fairly narrow piece of ground either side of the half way line; - leaving three quarters of the pitch available for both teams to practice and of course both goals.

The training session would commence from say 2.15pm with players from both sides lending a hand (for a few minutes at a time) and setting up drills; - imagine the excitement that should generate if you are getting effectively one to one tuition from your local stars who you are about to watch?

Then at half time, the 20's lads set up the 5 -a-side goals and quickly throw down the cones to create the pitch and away we go,- with the stadium as full as it possibly can be.

In a 15 minute half time break, - you could play up to 7 minutes each way, - but realistically 6 minutes each way, - giving a couple of minutes to remove the goals and cones (which could be removed in seconds) ready for the restart.

During the 5 -a-side match, three quarters of the pitch would still be available for substitutes of both sides to warm up or shoot at their respective goals, - so in effect, - you are hindering absolutely no senior players.

I believe that it would be good for Scottish football, - would help to generate interest and could be replicated throughout all four leagues.

Potentially, you could have quite an increase in numbers, - if you had say a schools select side with pupils from all schools coming along to support their friends.

The cost to the club is virtually nothing to set up, - although it would be good to have 20 QOS shirts for them to wear, - which could be sponsored; - I'd be happy to do that; - the club would obviously retain them and wash them along with the senior strips ready for the next home match.

I've heard that the only rumblings might come from the professionals themselves! Well it's time for them to realise that kids are our future, ( and they will help to pay their wages) - and taking 5 minutes out of their warm up to assist with coaching is not going to affect their game at all, - and will only boost their own chances of getting their coaching badges.

As for taking up legitimate training space, - I've never heard such nonsense; - most clubs organise small one touch games in a corner of the pitch, - or fire shots at goal, while at training they often play contained games in spaces of a third of a pitch, - so the reduced training surface will pose no hindrance whatsoever.

The important thing is that those 40 kids will hopefully encourage relatives and friends to come along and watch and who knows, some might even want to come back to Palmerston for the next game!

In effect, you have a different 40 kids and their respective supporters each time, with hopefully a retained %age from each game returning on a regular basis, - so that by the end of the season you should have increased your core support and got a whole lot of kids interested in watching live football again.

I think it's worth a shot for one season.

Sadly then, that seems to be that idea scuppered; - I haven't had anyone battering at my door asking for the sponsorship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)