+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has The Premier League Now Become Obcene?

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Agree about Sky and no longer clubs relying upon the fans. However for me there is one other big factor me that is so many of the younger generation are just fixed and hooked on all this hype and big fees. They are the future, not us over 60s and all they seem to want is Fantasy whether that be football, big brother or Britains got talent.
    We have a generation who want everything, appreciate nothing and Sky and tv are giving them what they want. Rant over but I really do fear for what society of self obsessed and money oriented people we are seeing in this generation.
    Great post Yarn yes the younger generation seem to want everything yesterday , but going back to footy we are in the division which is obscene & most players are over rated & earn far to much money , but let's embrace where we play our football & try to compete its not just west Brom who have to pay over the odds for players its all the teams , & this is where every other team out side the prem wish they were ,& are striving to be their so spend a bit Albion on quality keep us in the best league in the world & competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Great post Yarn yes the younger generation seem to want everything yesterday , but going back to footy we are in the division which is obscene & most players are over rated & earn far to much money , but let's embrace where we play our football & try to compete its not just west Brom who have to pay over the odds for players its all the teams , & this is where every other team out side the prem wish they were ,& are striving to be their so spend a bit Albion on quality keep us in the best league in the world & competitive.
    Purely out of interest, why do you think it is "the best league in the world"?

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf View Post
    Purely out of interest, why do you think it is "the best league in the world"?
    Hi Newcy i think its such a competitive league & the hardest league in the world to win . Not that west Brom will ever win it .

Fair play.
    My argument has always been that if we have the best league in the world, why do the Spanish and German clubs always grab the trophies at club AND international level?

Fair play.
    My argument has always been that if we have the best league in the world, why do the Spanish and German clubs always grab the trophies at club AND international level?
    I have no idea buddy & you make a valid point but i still think that premier league is still a lot harder to win , & has a lot more quality team in it than any of the top leagues in any other country ,

Fair play.
    Technically it isn't the best league in the world, that would probably be the Spanish League, but the games in the prem are not as one-sided as some of the games in other countries here any team can beat another on their day and the top teams have to work harder to win games than which probably doesn't help when the teams play in Europe.

Fair play.
    Good point, but it's all media hype about the Prem beening the best league on the world. don't believe a word of it.

Last season the top 6 lost 35 games between them. They played each other 30 times. A few of those would have been draws, lets say 5. That means the top 6 lost 10 games between them all season to the lower 13 clubs.
    Most competitive league?

Fanzines predicted the future pretty well about 20 years ago: letters to Grorty Dick were saying that Murdoch would ruin the game, and the only possible way to halt the decline was NOT TO BUY SKY. It became a national campaign.
    I've never subscribed and the only way to get Football back to how it was is if every proper fan cancelled their subscription. That would work if only the fans could see it, and explain it to their kids.
    I've no idea how much Sky charge, but the stay-at-home fans could probably afford to go back to watching live football instead, and those games would be Saturday 3 o'clock kick-offs!

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Fanzines predicted the future pretty well about 20 years ago: letters to Grorty Dick were saying that Murdoch would ruin the game, and the only possible way to halt the decline was NOT TO BUY SKY. It became a national campaign.
    I've never subscribed and the only way to get Football back to how it was is if every proper fan cancelled their subscription. That would work if only the fans could see it, and explain it to their kids.
    I've no idea how much Sky charge, but the stay-at-home fans could probably afford to go back to watching live football instead, and those games would be Saturday 3 o'clock kick-offs!
    I can't disagree that Sky has helped inflate the cost and fees involved in football, but if you want a real villain who made the greatest impact and change in English football then how about David Dein of Arsenal? He was the genius who pushed for home clubs keeping their gate receipts instead of the 50/50 split that football had always insisted on since the League's foundation. Dein (and Arsenal) were also prime proponents of the Premiership - a competition that ensured in effect 6 or 7 clubs would only be in a chance of winning. Leicester were a glorious exception but there's no doubt that the Premiership and the change in the allocation of gate receipts knackered a lot of "smaller' clubs while making the rich ones even more rich, and I would say profligate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)