+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has The Premier League Now Become Obcene?

Football'doesn't'entertain.The'old'players'earned' £80-£100pw'and'they'thrilled'crowds.
    Today's'players'earn'millions'and'are'as'dull'as'd ishwater'they'take'themselves'too'seriously
    Does'anyone'feel'entertained'when'they'come'away'f rom'the'Albion'today
    It'was'the'reason'most'of'us'fell'in'love'with'the 'club,win'or'lose'you'expected'to'see'something'di fferent,outrageous'even
    The'great'characters'are'gone,the'game'is'full'of' cheats
    At'least'people'of'my'generation'saw'the'best'time s

Well said 1955, some of these modern football fans should look at The Big Match etc on you tube, proper football played by proper footballers on proper pitches watched by proper fans, players these days think more about doing their hair and how their numerous tattoos look, give me characters like Willie Johnston, Stan Bowles etc anytime over the modern over paid prima donnas we have to put up with these days.

I read somewhere that you could get a season ticket cheaper at Barcelona than at Leicester.
    The price of a season ticket at the mighty Bayern Munich is dwarfed by the price to watch the current Premier League champions Chelsea.

I'm not sure how accurate these figures are but the average footballers salary apparently is:

Premier League £45,000 p/w
    Bundesliga £28,000 p/w
    Serie A £25,000 p/w
    La Liga £23,000 p/w

If these figures are correct, next time you hear the interview with a foreign player who has just signed for a Premier League club stating he has "always wanted to play in the Premier League", the real reason why is probably due to the figures above.

Those figures, or near enough, were reported in the Daily Mail.

Nearly THREE years ago.

I'd imagine they're well off the mark by now.

Absolutely obscene.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...lion-year.html

I didn't spot the date.

If the figures are that old you could probably put God knows what percentage on top of that.

It would be interesting to see if the difference between Premier League salaries and those in the better foreign leagues is still ridiculously higher.

I'd imagine it would still be ridiculously higher.

Then again when it comes down to it I wouldn't mind being a Rand or two behind the average paid player in the South African top flight .

There'is'a'Spanish'chef'in'our'local'called'Castro '(cool'name),and'he'is'a'fan'of'Malaga.For'half'th e'price'of'our'ST'he'gets'to'see'Messi,
    Ronaldo'etc
    Over'here'he'and'his'son'go'to'watch'Albion-as'you'would'expect

BOMBERS QUOTE 'players these days think more about doing their hair and how their numerous tattoos look'

That sounds like womens football

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    BOMBERS QUOTE 'players these days think more about doing their hair and how their numerous tattoos look'

That sounds like womens football
    The great irony of this being he used to have a fkn perm .

I have a different perspective and love football in the same way as when I discovered the game and thank God for the premier league.

I honestly believe without the riches of the prem we wouldn't have attracted the likes of Paul Thompson and chancer Peace.

Who knows how long that 16 year wait would have continued for.

Regards the players, the market decides a player's worth, Brunt will earn £30k-40k and exceptional talents like Neymar more, and they generate the income.

Fact is the players in the past were treated like pieces of meat.

Louis Edwards former Chairman/owner of Manchester United used to rake in the gate receipts and then gave his players out of date meat, explains why the like Law, Charles and Greaves went abroad in the 50's and 60's.

There was an Albion documentary put on here a few months ago called the saturday men and I remember a scene in it where there are some fans sitting in a cafe and one said they need to pay the players more or something to that effect.

Now the players are getting their market value.

Imo it's much better that the money gets spread out than an owner hoarding it all, and paying around 18% corporation tax, in the rare circumstances when they hadn't avoided it.

That way the taxman gets his 40% share and the players usually have employees like drivers and cleaners etc who pay tax and they look after their families (unless you're giggs who just s hags them) and buy expensive things paying 20% vat and increasing companies revenues which in turn creates more jobs.

The premier league clubs are profitable and therefore there shouldn't be an issue unless you get bad ownership like at Leeds, Palace and Leicester in the past.

If a team gets relegated it's bad ownership if the owner hasn't insisted on relegation clauses.

We should be proud that we have the best league in the world watched and envied by all.

The TV income is shared equally amongst prem clubs, unlike in Spain where barca and real get the vast majority of it.

Those waiting for the prem to implode should not hold their breath.

The American sports tv deals inspired the premier leagle Imo and they are getting higher and higher as new bidders like Netflix and Facebook are mooted to be interested in bidding.

I keep hearing all this stuff about non league teams being better now, but their entrance prices are much higher than before the premiership was created and the players there have tattoos too.

We all have a choice. If you don't like sky prices don't pay.

I don't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)