+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manquillo

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Just remember one thing.
    Standards of players can change tack depending on the standard of club and standard of managers they're at/under.

A player can have bags and bags of untapped talent but it stays untapped until someone turns that tap on. Some clubs just don't have the ability to open the tap and/or the player himself may not have the desire to realise his potential under such a regime.

I think Newcastle united under a manager like Benitez, coupled with the fact that Manquillo and Benitez are both Spanish, has another added bonus into the equation in terms of mental man management.

As I said earlier, this kid could be a gem and the ingredients are there this time around for him/us to realise it.
    .. That sounds more like hope than anything else .. Remember the old adage 'You only get what you pay for' ..

Quote Originally Posted by andyj73 View Post
    .. That sounds more like hope than anything else .. Remember the old adage 'You only get what you pay for' ..
    Not true in terms of football.
    I can name many players that cost fortunes and didn't give what they were paid for and equally many players that cost pennies and gave performances that merited high transfer fees.

The truer words are: you only get what you're clever enough to see as a worth.
    Or...
    You only get what you're prepared to invest time in, in pay back.

I can name many players that cost fortunes and didn't give what they were paid for and equally many players that cost pennies and gave performances that merited high transfer fees.

Or...
    Or a good one for us as Sissoko, what we paid for him and what we got on his "potential"

Or...
    .. Rafa's a manager who needs to spend to get anywhere and your squad is not as good as the one that took us down. As things stand I think you will be lucky to avoid relegation.. Still time to get a few decent players in though, but if you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys ..

.. Your squad is not as good as the one that took us down. ..
    What a gimp... I'll have some of what you've been smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Or a good one for us as Sissoko, what we paid for him and what we got on his "potential"
    I think this shows why the term/saying is misconceived tbh.

You see you don't always get what you pay for, the term is get what you paid for and therefore it depends on the person/buyer or item/player.

If you know what you're buying value is nothing more than the sum you have to pay in order to get what you want...

If you don't know what you're buying then the value dictates what you're getting for your money on face value...

It applies to everything it's just the value changes depending on what market you're in- materialistic items-cars(ignoring depreciation), houses(different to a certain extent because of the market/area you're buying in) and players (again different because of the market you choose to buy in/country).

Take Wenger for a clear example- he knew what he wanted/saw in Anelka so paid £500k for him, is he a £500k player? No as his transfers to Real Madrid etc showed

He knew what he wanted/saw in Sanchez so had to pay £25m for him, you could say he's now a £50m player...

These are 2 ends of the spectrum from the same man but in 2 different markets... Ultimately he knows how to spot quality and he could buy it cheap on one occasion but had to pay more for it on another...

Now go through the endless list of every expensive player and then place their true value next to them... Are you really getting what you're paying for? On some occasions yes but again that depends on the buyer and what he knows/sees... Obviously players are different from objects in that performances can fluctuate for a whole host of reasons example- Torres... He was definitely worth £20m but the £50m that Chelsea paid was clearly flushed down the toilet as they did a lot at the beginning of Roms era and Man City and countless other big spending clubs have done the same- the sellers dictated the price and they paid regardless of value/worth to get what they wanted and blindly on many transfers.

Sissoko is another good example as is Cabaye.

We paid less than £2m for Sissoko, because we saw his potential, Pochettino had to pay £30m for him because we the seller dictated that, is he a £30m player? Not in my opinion or based on his performances for Spurs.

We paid around £5m for Cabaye and he was worth every penny and easily comparable to players worth 4-5x what his value was... He went to PSG for £25m and ultimately flopped.

Now it doesn't make either a bad player now but did those teams by paying more for both players get their moneys worth? Not in my opinion- ask yourself did we? Yes. So therefore we got what we paid for but the other 2 clubs didn't even though they paid for more than us...

On the flip side we broke our transfer record for the England international Michael Owen... On paper it was a great signing, Real Madrid named their price and we went with that value thinking that we were getting our moneys worth... Was he a complete bag of ****e? Yes.

Last season we paid £10m for an English man with no caps in Dwight Gayle and he was our top scorer as well as the league's... Benitez knew what he wanted and knew he had to pay £10m to get him, I'm sure he would have paid £5m as well as prepared to have paid £15m... Did we get our moneys worth? Definitely. Would we have got more value by paying £5m more for him though, would he have scored anymore goals?

Bottom line is just because you've spent £30m on one striker doesn't mean he's going to score anymore goals than the one you bought for £5m it all depends on who's buying and who you're buying from.

Is Walker a £50m right back?
    Is Sigurdsson a £50m AM?

No on both accounts in my opinion but then to show the flip side you'd have to say that Ronaldo and Bale are both worth their 80m and 100m price tags respectively.

That's why you have a scouting network, yes it's easier to buy the names because they're already established and that's why you have to pay the premium in a lot of cases because on face value they're "worth" it but if you're prepared to do the legwork/take a calculated risk there are plenty of bargains to be had, there are millions of players worldwide ffs but like sheep we follow and stick to a congested area in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Davearmy View Post
    What a gimp... I'll have some of what you've been smoking.
    .. As things stand, you have a Championship squad fella .. You can do all the name calling you want but that won't change the fact ..

.. As things stand, you have a Championship squad fella .. You can do all the name calling you want but that won't change the fact ..
    You haven't even got that

I'll bet you wish you had a Championship squad Andy. Never mind lad they'll be tested to their true potential after next season's relegation to the old 3rd Div. (better to call it that than the 1st Div)

Let's just see how he performs for US, and not some utter sh1t sunlun team,

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)