+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T RIP ChesterBenningtom

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    This for me. It's not like suicidal people think if I kill myself my kids will suffer then do it anyway, they feel they have no other option. It must be terrible to feel that way and mental health is a massively misunderstood illness.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Having no empathy for other people is considered symptomatic of mental illness in itself.
    People tend to exaggerate to make their point and Sol does so here. You're suggesting someone is a psychopath because they choose to feel no sorrow for a cosseted, advantaged and gifted individual who chose his own needs over his kids.

If he can feel such a deep sense of loss over a friend, why doesn't the prospect of never seeing his kids again seem so terrible?

This point of view does not put me anywhere near the spectrum.
    Last edited by Vladpie; 21-07-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpie View Post
    People tend to exaggerate to make their point and Sol does so here. You're suggesting someone is a psychopath because they choose to feel no sorrow for a cosseted, advantaged and gifted individual who chose his own needs over his kids.

If he can feel such a deep sense of loss over a friend, why doesn't the prospect of never seeing his kids again seem so terrible?

This point of view does not put me anywhere near the spectrum.
    He was abused as a child so whatever money he made will only have enabled him to run away from his past into drink and drugs even further. I understand why people say suicide is a selfish act as it is on the family but I don't think it figures in the suicidal mind as the mental illness takes over everything you as a person are. It is hard to understand though if you're not that type of person, I think you have to experience it to see why it happens.

Vlad's question is a fair one and certainly doesn't equate with a lack of empathy. His empathy is simply more for the children left behind than the father who left them. This doesn't mean there's no empathy for Chester Bennington or anyone else suffering mental illness, but the biggest victims of his actions are his children.

Blimey Vlad, I'm not suggesting you have to feel sympathy but a certain empathy wouldn't come amiss.
    If your head goes wrong, it's not really any different to your liver conking. Broken is broken. With a broken liver you die from posoning, when your head goes its just different symptoms but your body suffers just the same.

As for the music, loved Hybrid Theory but they went progressively downhill after that for me, became a little bit sucky .
    Soumdgarden and Chris Cornell on the other hand were just sublime at their peak.
    It's a tragedy that they both thought life was no longer worth living.
    Can't help but think that early to bed, early to rise, six months of hard manual labour, routine, a good diet and no drugs, beer or fags would have helped both of them more than medicine and therapy.

You're suggesting someone is a psychopath because they choose to feel no sorrow for a cosseted, advantaged and gifted individual who chose his own needs over his kids.
    I suggested nothing of the sort. Lack of empathy is indicated in a range of disorders. You jumped to that conclusion quickly.

The man was a child when many of the events that led to his suicide occurred, why withhold empathy for that child? But why withhold empathy for the man? For anyone?

It might be difficult for Vlad and jackal to understand, but severe mental health issues can lead people to make poor decisions, even to be incapable of rational decisions (like empathy for their own kids... or for others). Blaming people for the results of their illness is pretty heartless, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Blimey Vlad, I'm not suggesting you have to feel sympathy but a certain empathy wouldn't come amiss.
    If your head goes wrong, it's not really any different to your liver conking. Broken is broken. With a broken liver you die from posoning, when your head goes its just different symptoms but your body suffers just the same.

As for the music, loved Hybrid Theory but they went progressively downhill after that for me, became a little bit sucky .
    Soumdgarden and Chris Cornell on the other hand were just sublime at their peak.
    It's a tragedy that they both thought life was no longer worth living.
    Can't help but think that early to bed, early to rise, six months of hard manual labour, routine, a good diet and no drugs, beer or fags would have helped both of them more than medicine and therapy.
    Cross posted, but that's a good comment.

Nothing (much!) wrong with clean living, but the individual has to consent first (and keep consenting). For some people even that's beyond them.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    He was abused as a child so whatever money he made will only have enabled him to run away from his past into drink and drugs even further. I understand why people say suicide is a selfish act as it is on the family but I don't think it figures in the suicidal mind as the mental illness takes over everything you as a person are. It is hard to understand though if you're not that type of person, I think you have to experience it to see why it happens.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    ). Blaming people for the results of their illness is pretty heartless, imo.
    And pee dos, you have sympathy for them, that's an illness.

There are a great many people who would love to have the privilege and adoration heaped on them that this guy had. People like this chuck their life away when poor little souls like Bradley and his family are desperate for a chance to live. Nothing you can say will make me shed a tear for people like him.

Many people really do live a **** life and battle on through adversity, they don't just give up and he had access to all the help possible.
    Last edited by Vladpie; 21-07-2017 at 07:20 PM.

And pee dos, you have sympathy for them, that's an illness.
    Sympathy is not clinically defined as an illness. I think you know you're being unjustifiably heartless and you're just trying to deflect attention.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast