+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T RIP ChesterBenningtom

O/T RIP ChesterBenningtom

Another too young.
    Meteora is one of my favourite albums

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40676530

Pity he couldn't have used some of that money he made to get himself some help. That's 6 kids without a dad.

Very sad. I'm not into the mawkish sentimentality and gushing posthumous tributes that so often accompany news of celebrities passing, because I didn't know these individuals personally, but I've got no problem with saying I liked Linkin Park's music. I bought Hybrid Theory and Meteora when I was a bit younger because the 'nu-metal' thing sounded a bit different and I liked the intensity of Linkin Park's sound. Chester Bennington had that great ability to effectively scream in tune, and at the same time he could tone it down to a quieter, more melodic vocal not dissimilar in style (but different musically) from Corey Taylor of Slipknot.

Unfortunately, creative talent and emotional vulnerability tend to go hand in hand.

RIP

Sorry, didn't like the music and leaving behind 6 kids is a weak and selfish act.

Vlad putting in his application to join the Samaritans there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpie View Post
    Leaving behind 6 kids is a weak and selfish act.
    Can't dispute that. You don't choose to be brought into the world by your parents, but if you've created a life yourself (or six lives in this case) then your first thought and responsibility should be to them, not yourself, no matter how dreadful you may feel.

I recognise that wealth and a (hopefully loving) family is no defence against the horrors of depression, but there is no mitigation for neglecting your responsibilities as a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Can't dispute that. You don't choose to be brought into the world by your parents, but if you've created a life yourself (or six lives in this case) then your first thought and responsibility should be to them, not yourself, no matter how dreadful you may feel.

I recognise that wealth and a (hopefully loving) family is no defence against the horrors of depression, but there is no mitigation for neglecting your responsibilities as a parent.
    It's just so sad. That anyone could get to such a state that they feel that their only option is to end their life.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    It's just so sad. That anyone could get to such a state that they feel that their only option is to end their life.
    This for me. It's not like suicidal people think if I kill myself my kids will suffer then do it anyway, they feel they have no other option. It must be terrible to feel that way and mental health is a massively misunderstood illness. I grew up listening to his music and it helped me through some bad times hearing other people felt that way.

RIP Chester.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    It's not like suicidal people think if I kill myself my kids will suffer then do it anyway, they feel they have no other option. It must be terrible to feel that way and mental health is a massively misunderstood illness.
    I realise this is true, hence why my comments were more measured than Vlad's. You could quite legitimately reverse the argument and say it is selfish for others (for their benefit) to expect someone in such torment to fight on.

However, on balance, I would still say that when you bring another life into the world your level of responsibility goes to a new level and you forego the moral right to act purely on your own feelings.

I'm not a counsellor, and I know the worst thing you can tell a depressed person is to just 'cheer up' and realise how lucky they are, but I would imagine if you're dealing with someone in the depths of depression who is not thinking rationally, you have to try, albeit gently, to bring them back to some sort of rationality and an awareness of their importance beyond just themselves.

He was badly abused as a child and talked about how the experience left him irreparably damaged + one of his best friends just killed himself. Having no empathy for other people is considered symptomatic of mental illness in itself.

Amazing range as a performer. RIP Chester.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast