+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backing the Manager

Those running our football club were taught a very harsh business lesson 2 seasons ago that resulted in huge budget cuts last season. In spite of implementing these budget cuts, even that was not enough to keep us solvent as a trading operation and we needed the working mans equivalent of pay day loans to keep us going. The fact of the matter is that those loans will need to be paid back before anything else, so I'd say that it is unlikely there is going to be any windfall going to the playing side of things. This season's budgets need to be strictly adhered to, as there will be next next to no income to the business of the football club through away supporters this season and the current financial year for the football club is only a matter of weeks old. Talk of speculate to accumulate with 5/6 weeks of the transfer window to go is far too emotional and we need to learn to urinate with the appendage we have; which is no that big, being a hardcore of what 5,500 supporters? To coin a JYM phrase, apart from the non stop bickering of 30 odd months, the support have been "magnificent" in turning up to watch United, so can we try and have a little bit of calm please? And if we don't come away from Inverness with at least a point, keep our fingers away from the button marked "meltdoon"? It's gonna be a long hard season ahead folks!!!

A lot of assumptions being made because of the constant mismanagement at board level.
    Will continue as long as that baldy snake is at the helm.
    Taking it how it is I feel we have made promising signings so far and a striker may be round the corner, whether that be some Irish guy I've no knowledge of or someone else.
    However if we are struggling to beat Brechin/ Dumbarton etc and Ray puts Durnan up top cause we've nobody else!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant_Jouster View Post
    so can we try and have a little bit of calm please?
    Id say everyone is pretty calm, all people are doing is raising their concerns, nae meltdoons, yet....

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Id say everyone is pretty calm, all people are doing is raising their concerns, nae meltdoons, yet....

Thumbs Up emoji........let's try and keep it that way then, marathon and not a sprint etc!!! We need to retain our home form from last season and find a cure for our travel sickness. If we do that, then we will be OK.

Although i am prepared to accept there may be a very good reason that the right player is not about to step through the door, i cannot ignore missing out on the likes of Mikkelsen because of a small fee.

There is quite a bit of evidence that does point to a long line of managers not getting the backing they were promised when they signed the contract. If Quinn, Fyvie and Mikkelsen had been signed then that would show an intent that every level at Tannadice were pushing for promotion.

Assumptions again. When Ross County came in to offer Mikkelsen maybe he just wanted to play at a higher level. As to that we don't even know if we were in for him. May be nothing to do with the fee for him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again what do these transfer windows actually achieve? For me not being allowed to buy players up to transfer deadline day like a number of years ago has just left the fans watching pish if your team has been raided just before the close of one these transfer windows.

You can sign players if they are out of contract but getting them up to match fitness is another matter. I would say transfer windows are worse than the Bosman ruling. Until these transfer windows are done away with football imo will continue to short change the fans of smaller clubs.

You can destroy your season before it has even started if you have not concluded your transfer business. Here's hoping we're not caught short.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again what do these transfer windows actually achieve? For me not being allowed to buy players up to transfer deadline day like a number of years ago has just left the fans watching pish if your team has been raided just before the close of one these transfer windows.

You can sign players if they are out of contract but getting them up to match fitness is another matter. I would say transfer windows are worse than the Bosman ruling. Until these transfer windows are done away with football imo will continue to short change the fans of smaller clubs.

You can destroy your season before it has even started if you have not concluded your transfer business. Here's hoping we're not caught short.
    Agree with all of the above. Transfer windows have ruined football for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    United are probably the worst team in Scotland in recent years in getting value for money when buying players. Muirhead, Telfer, Murray, etc. Therefore I can understand any caution in splashing the cash for players. On the other hand the evaporation of income from player sales is extremely worrying.
    United got stitched up with Telfer, there is no way we would have considered him if the asking price was £250k.

As for Murray, he cost United £50K and more than repaid that fee and was exceptional value for money

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Assumptions again. When Ross County came in to offer Mikkelsen maybe he just wanted to play at a higher level. As to that we don't even know if we were in for him. May be nothing to do with the fee for him.
    What if its not an assumption? The facts are there to look at that the Ross County manager gets a fair amount of backing, but our club with its 4000+ season ticket holders have to be looking at a lower level in the barrel.

We have got a pair of cracking wingers that need a target as they will not be able to win the league on their own without one! You also have to look at the evidence today and see that there is not enough of a squad even for the group stages of this cup, never mind a league campaign!

Ray and the team need some more backing!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)