+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Walker trialist - pending offer ?

Liam Walker trialist - pending offer ?

According to The Post
    Anonymous against Forest
    Grafter against Wigan
    29 years old as well so not going to get any better or quicker
    Is he any better than what we have ?
    We need extra quality i.e. a ball player not another water carrier or destroyer.
    Think the salary could be spent better elsewhere like better quality CB and CF
    Thoughts ?

I agree.

And as I've said in another thread, whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of the decision to release Stanley Aborah, one of Nolan's comments was that Stan had bounced around a lot of clubs during his career without sticking very long anywhere. Liam Walker's career history (and age) is very similar, in fact many of the clubs Aborah played for were of significantly higher calibre.

I'm sorry, but you have to call it as you see it, and I think (Jorge Grant apart) Notts County's recruitment drive this summer has failed to achieve its targets and we're now looking for the scraps.
    Last edited by jackal2; 23-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudpie View Post
    According to The Post
    Anonymous against Forest
    Grafter against Wigan
    29 years old as well so not going to get any better or quicker
    Is he any better than what we have ?
    We need extra quality i.e. a ball player not another water carrier or destroyer.
    Think the salary could be spent better elsewhere like better quality CB and CF
    Thoughts ?
    Still think we're light in all the key positions. KN was willing to spend 100K on Noble, so why is he now happy with Walker, who sounds no better than what we currently have. I hope we bring a ball-winning midfielder in on loan while O'Connor recovers, because I can't see Thompson or Milsom not picking up injuries (Thompson seemingly only has to put a Notts shirt on to get injured).

That still leaves us needing two centre halves and a pacy forward (I'm assuming we won't bother with a replacement for Collin now).

The results in friendlies may not matter too much, but it sounds like we managed to throw away the game against Wigan yesterday - never a good habit. Even their manager said his team played like they never thought they could win (a hangover from relegation), yet somehow they did.

What a wierd career - seems to do well then contract not renewed.

AH alluded to the fact that he was hoping for no injuries from yesterday's match as the physio was needed for a medical today (I presume the physio is alright!).

In KN we trust, onwards and upwards #faith #promotion. Get him on board and get the minutes in legs.

Pre-Season Friendly's are exactly that in my opinion they are games designed to build the squad up for the season always have been always will be I think. Sit back and be patient that is the name of the game for me we are not dealing with the previous regime now we have someone in command who whether you thinks so or not appears to know what he is doing. In Nolan we have a bright young manager who has worked under Big Sam, and whatever you think about Big Sam Ref Notts, he knows what he is doing.

Just give them a chance Rome was not built in a day and when they walked in Notts were in ruins to almost the point of destruction, patience is I feel the name of the game at present.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I agree.

And as I've said in another thread, whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of the decision to release Stanley Aborah, one of Nolan's comments was that Stan had bounced around a lot of clubs during his career without sticking very long anywhere. Liam Walker's career history (and age) is very similar, in fact many of the clubs Aborah played for were of significantly higher calibre.

I'm sorry, but you have to call it as you see it, and I think (Jorge Grant apart) Notts County's recruitment drive this summer has failed to achieve its targets and we're now looking for the scraps.
    How has it failed....the summer isn't over. I'd rather Notts go into the first game a few players short with potential to get more in, than panic buy and be light in quality but no room to add.

I also believe the players that have brought in are decent: Alessandra will be at brilliant Notts, a wide player with an eye for a goal who can also play behind the striker or up front. Hawkridge was very good in Vanamara, no reason he can't transition that a division up. Dan Jones: I wasn't happy with this signing but seeing him play, he is quick, 6 feet+ and better than Dickinson. Grant is...Grant! One of the best signings of any League 2 club.

If there were no more players added to this squad I'd guess we would finish 10th-14th due to a lack of quality at centre back. With hopefully a few more signings, that end of season prediction will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    How has it failed....the summer isn't over. I'd rather Notts go into the first game a few players short with potential to get more in, than panic buy and be light in quality but no room to add.

I also believe the players that have brought in are decent: Alessandra will be at brilliant Notts, a wide player with an eye for a goal who can also play behind the striker or up front. Hawkridge was very good in Vanamara, no reason he can't transition that a division up. Dan Jones: I wasn't happy with this signing but seeing him play, he is quick, 6 feet+ and better than Dickinson. Grant is...Grant! One of the best signings of any League 2 club.

If there were no more players added to this squad I'd guess we would finish 10th-14th due to a lack of quality at centre back. With hopefully a few more signings, that end of season prediction will be higher.

Spot on 👍

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Spot on ��
    Whilst on the subject of trialists , can anyone shed any light on Pierce Bird , who by all accounts did well in the first two friendlies we had and we were supposed to find out what he was made of against Forest but hasnt been seen since?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post

You answer your own question with your last paragraph.

It's true the summer isn't over, and to be fair I broadly agree with your assessment of the players that have arrived, but the fact that we are two weeks away from the new season and we still haven't recruited two dominant centre-halves and a quality striker suggests we haven't landed our key targets, or worse still that we don't recognise the problem. I tend to think the first explanation is more likely, because these are key weaknesses in the spine of the team and I can't believe Kevin Nolan wouldn't know that. Faffing around with the likes of Liam Walker and Callum Saunders is like fiddling while Rome burns.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    You answer your own question with your last paragraph.

It's true the summer isn't over, and to be fair I broadly agree with your assessment of the players that have arrived, but the fact that we are two weeks away from the new season and we still haven't recruited two dominant centre-halves and a quality striker suggests we haven't landed our key targets, or worse still that we don't recognise the problem. I tend to think the first explanation is more likely, because these are key weaknesses in the spine of the team and I can't believe Kevin Nolan wouldn't know that. Faffing around with the likes of Liam Walker and Callum Saunders is like fiddling while Rome burns.
    Maybe we haven't landed our first choice targets, so what thats life and we have no divine rights over players

The season isn't over if we don't have all the players we want in by the first game. The club have a strategy of only signing players we 100% want and if this means they have to wait, so be it and the fans must be patient.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast