+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liam Walker trialist - pending offer ?

I said on the way back to the car yesterday, it's a bit of a step down going from trying to sign a £100k player that was one of the best in the conference last season to a trialist nobody's ever heard of, surely we could find someone in between?

He didn't do much to impress me yesterday, the only times i noticed him were when he was losing the ball after a poor first touch or holding on to it for too long. He also had a cr*p shot on goal that I can only hope was with his weak foot.
    Last edited by Freeman25; 23-07-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    The club have a strategy of only signing players we 100% want and if this means they have to wait, so be it and the fans must be patient.

Fair enough, so why are we looking at signing Liam Walker?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I said on the way back to the car yesterday, it's a bit of a step down going from trying to sign a £100k player that was one of the best in the conference last season to a trialist nobody's ever heard of, surely we could find someone in between?

He didn't do much to impress me yesterday, the only times i noticed him were when he was losing the ball after a poor first touch or holding on to it for too long. He also had a cr*p shot on goal that I can only hope was with his weak foot.
    Liam Walker has played two games for us, both against better class opposition than he would usually face in League 2. He didn't really impress against Forest, but had a decent game against Wigan. He was more involved both defensively and going forward and showed a good work ethic. I'm not saying we should sign him or bin him, just that he's done enough to merit a longer look. Too many on here think he's no good entirely due to his Wiki page.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Too many on here think he's no good entirely due to his Wiki page.
    Funny you should say that. I reckon simple trial by Wiki has been a better indicator of the likely success or failure of our signings over the past five years than the collective "wisdom" of the club's managers and scouts. Seriously!

Well a club a year says something isn't quite right?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Liam Walker has played two games for us, both against better class opposition than he would usually face in League 2. He didn't really impress against Forest, but had a decent game against Wigan. He was more involved both defensively and going forward and showed a good work ethic. I'm not saying we should sign him or bin him, just that he's done enough to merit a longer look. Too many on here think he's no good entirely due to his Wiki page.
    I hadn't seen his Wiki page when i watched the Wigan game and was disappointed at learning he was 29 when I opened this topic. I'd rather judge players on what I see them do in a Notts shirt and Walker did nothing to impress against Wigan, who despite being a "better class than he would usually face in League 2" looked and played pretty cr*p for 90 minutes.

Edit: I didn't want to say it as it will probably be the only point in my post that gets picked up on but... I seem to remember a few people basing their negative opinions of Aborah on his past/wikipedia record too...

Edit: I didn't want to say it as it will probably be the only point in my post that gets picked up on but... I seem to remember a few people basing their negative opinions of Aborah on his past/wikipedia record too...
    I was one of them, I'm happy to admit it, but when I actually saw him play in the first few games under Moniz I realised I was wrong. So, yes, Liam Walker could be one of those rare surprise packages too, but based on performances so far I doubt it.

I hadn't seen his Wiki page when i watched the Wigan game and was disappointed at learning he was 29 when I opened this topic. I'd rather judge players on what I see them do in a Notts shirt and Walker did nothing to impress against Wigan, who despite being a "better class than he would usually face in League 2" looked and played pretty cr*p for 90 minutes.

My negative opinion on Aborah is based entirely on his performances in a Notts shirt - he was a vastly overrated bone idle show pony who offered very little to the team. My neutral opinion on Liam Walker is based on just two part games, so I'd look for a bit longer before coming to a decision on whether he's worth a contract.

Well you must have watched a different game to me. I thought he had a good game and so did those around us,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Well you must have watched a different game to me. I thought he had a good game and so did those around us,,,,,
    Was it his left footed shot that dribbled about 10 yards wide in the first half or was it the fact that the ball bounced off him to a Wigan players feet most of the time he touched it that impressed you the most?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast