+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liam Walker trialist - pending offer ?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I agree.

And as I've said in another thread, whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of the decision to release Stanley Aborah, one of Nolan's comments was that Stan had bounced around a lot of clubs during his career without sticking very long anywhere. Liam Walker's career history (and age) is very similar, in fact many of the clubs Aborah played for were of significantly higher calibre.

I'm sorry, but you have to call it as you see it, and I think (Jorge Grant apart) Notts County's recruitment drive this summer has failed to achieve its targets and we're now looking for the scraps.
    Walker and Aborah have both plied their trade at my club, Portsmouth, and in terms of technical ability, Aborah is the far superior player. Looked head and shoulders above most players in League Two at the back end of last season when he got a run in the team, and quite a few fans were disappointed to see Jackett release him over the summer. However, Liam Walker is a totally different player. He'll work hard, get up and down the pitch, keeps things neat and tidy, and should chip in with a few goals and assists, but he's not going to spray pinpoint 40-yard passes or turn his marker inside out. Good, honest pro, and if your side is looking for that sort of thing then he'll be a decent signing. If you're more in need of some flair, then not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by intheinaka View Post
    Walker and Aborah have both plied their trade at my club, Portsmouth, and in terms of technical ability, Aborah is the far superior player. Looked head and shoulders above most players in League Two at the back end of last season when he got a run in the team, and quite a few fans were disappointed to see Jackett release him over the summer. However, Liam Walker is a totally different player. He'll work hard, get up and down the pitch, keeps things neat and tidy, and should chip in with a few goals and assists, but he's not going to spray pinpoint 40-yard passes or turn his marker inside out. Good, honest pro, and if your side is looking for that sort of thing then he'll be a decent signing. If you're more in need of some flair, then not so much.
    Thanks for that. Always good to get something from someone who's actually seen a signing play before. To be honest if we're building some depth into the squad he sounds, from your summation, like a good guy to have in there.

As for Aborah...what a waste of talent that guy's career is. So much technical ability but it seems his attitude is what let's him down at club after club. On his day a joy to watch.

Aborah may be the superior player but if he keeps this superiority in his pocket where we can't see it and he can't use it, then he's not much use is he? Many a manager has given up on Stanley Aborah, including your own.

However, Liam Walker is a totally different player. He'll work hard.
    Well summed up. Walker is nothing flashy, but from the bit I've seen of him he will get stuck in. Your gaffer did the right thing in binning Aborah - for all of his undoubted technical ability he offers the team very little. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't create goals, and when the other team have the ball you are effectively playing with 10 men.

Remember when Shaun Derry signed a load of grafters, good solid pro's... We got relegated... Remember when Sheridan signed a good bunch of pro's that could all be captains..? Yeah.

Even in League 2 you need something more than just players that can work hard to get anywhere, thankfully I think we probably have that in Grant and Allessandra so we should be okay but if we lose either of them our midfield instantly becomes terrible imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    thankfully I think we probably have that in Grant and Allessandra so we should be okay but if we lose either of them our midfield instantly becomes terrible imo.
    Don't agree Del, Milsom ( player of the year) and Hewitt were quite decent last season, Thompson and ( longer term ) O'Connor to come back, Grant, Allessandra and Walker included, I think midfield is our strongest it has been since Bishop / Ravenhill.

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    Don't agree Del, Milsom ( player of the year) and Hewitt were quite decent last season, Thompson and ( longer term ) O'Connor to come back, Grant, Allessandra and Walker included, I think midfield is our strongest it has been since Bishop / Ravenhill.
    Good point there, Hewitt has quietly been getting on with it, vastly improved. I think if anything we need another centre back ( I think we all agree ) to me the puzzle is Forte, if he's not going to use him then we need another striker. Personally I don't think we are far off.

Not forgetting Hawkridge, who, according to my son, will be a decent signing. He played along side him at Gainsboro', and insists he will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    I'm not saying the rest of our midfield is cr*p, I mean that the rest of them are more the hard working ball winners that aren't going to create anything going forwards and we would struggle without having some creativity (and goals from midfield) that Allessandra and Grant will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    I'm not saying the rest of our midfield is cr*p, I mean that the rest of them are more the hard working ball winners that aren't going to create anything going forwards and we would struggle without having some creativity (and goals from midfield) that Allessandra and Grant will bring.
    I agree our midfield is much of the same, honest and hard working but where is the creativity that can unlock a defence or play that telling ball?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast