+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections

Reflections

I have read with interest all the comments about the management of the club, the recruitment of players and transfers and the future of the club. It seems to me obvious we should take into account the policy Patrick set out about future recruitment following our relegation down to L1. The policy was based on the premise that we can't compete financially with most clubs in the Championship therefore we were going to recruit young players who could develop into good players. Recruitment was good and we had the pleasure of watching young lads give everything last season to compete at Championship level while in many cases developing into very good players. On that basis the recruitment and coaching was a great success.
    Inevitably the results attracted scouts from other clubs and in January we began to lose players. However we did receive financial compensation from transfer fees which has left the club financially secure for the immediate future.
    So in that sense the policy set out by Patrick was a success.
    Now comes the hard part. The scouts and coaches have to do it all again but I don't think we should gamble our financial security on buying and paying expensive experienced players. We are still a small club with 10000 supporters situated in a town which isn't very affluent so we are never going to generate a lot of money. That will apply even if there is a change of owner in the future. In the meantime I think we should support Patrick and his family and stop making insensitive remarks. Some things are more important than football.

Absolutely spot on .

Quote Originally Posted by KINDERSCOUT View Post
    I have read with interest all the comments about the management of the club, the recruitment of players and transfers and the future of the club. It seems to me obvious we should take into account the policy Patrick set out about future recruitment following our relegation down to L1. The policy was based on the premise that we can't compete financially with most clubs in the Championship therefore we were going to recruit young players who could develop into good players. Recruitment was good and we had the pleasure of watching young lads give everything last season to compete at Championship level while in many cases developing into very good players. On that basis the recruitment and coaching was a great success.
    Inevitably the results attracted scouts from other clubs and in January we began to lose players. However we did receive financial compensation from transfer fees which has left the club financially secure for the immediate future.
    Now comes the hard part. The scouts and coaches have to do it all again but I don't think we should gamble our financial security on buying and paying expensive experienced players. We are still a small club with 10000 supporters situated in a town which isn't very affluent so we are never going to generate a lot of money. That will apply even if there is a change of owner in the future. In the meantime I think we should support Patrick and his family and stop making insensitive remarks. Some things are more important than football.

Just to put the record straight

Average home attendance last season just short of 14000 not 10000

"Inevitably the results attracted scouts from other clubs and in January we began to lose players. However we did receive financial compensation from transfer fees which has left the club financially secure for the immediate future"

How financially secure are we?
    Bet like me, you've little or no idea

I agree with the reflections expressed! The only extra bit I'd say, however, is that, to continue to progress, we need to maintain our championship status- thus we may have to spend a few bob more to get a striker who'll score the goals (dare I say it, like Sammy)

Nobody is saying gamble the financial security of the club , certainly not me .

The plan needs to show sustainability and deliver growth , growth is measured by league points attained in the championship and not what is typed on a balance sheet .

Agree Kinder

I wouldn't change thing at moment lets see where we are at the end of this transfer window.
    I must say this forum is on a real roller coaster and the season hasn't even started I'm finding it all most fascinating.
    Keep the episodes rolling!!!!!!

We are doin ok at the moment, because of some wonga coming in from past transfers and the ones from January and of course Roberts , not that long ago we really weren't doin well, looking like no more BFC at one point so i don't blame them for being cautious, i just wish we could pay players more, not talking 20 g's a week or anything stupid like that just try to be the most competetive that we can and maybe we could keep hold of players a bit longer to build something, Hecky is trying to do that without being able to pay players a competetive wage and its a miracle if it works. whats our top earner even on? is it over 10 g's a week?

I think we may have to speculate some tho , we Carnt keep paying Division One wages and hope to remain in the Championship , other clubs are also looking at lower league ( potential gems ) players , that well of talent could soon run dry ? We may have to rethink that policy soon

Quote Originally Posted by KINDERSCOUT View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. Good post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast