+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: healthy debate

healthy debate

Some Interesting views from the posters on here lately. I think the departure of most of the promotion squad has been expected but in some cases not accepted. Frustration at losing good players is perfectly understandable, we all want what's best for the club, that means keeping hold of our assets if possible.

As we're aware, the wages that BFC are paying obviously don't cut the mustard in this division. This has restricted our market regarding incoming transfers and also prevented the vast majority the players who were already here from signing the improved contract offers put to them by the club in the latter part of last season.

We are now left with a handful of players with Championship experience and lots of new players with no experience in this league. The imminent transfer of Yiadom is a big talking point. As i said earlier, it's better to hold on to your assets if possible.

Maybe reality is kicking in for most, they realise that we are nowhere near what other clubs can offer. Frustrating but thats the way it is. I assume Yids was offered very good money to stay, probably on parity with the top earners here yet he hasn't signed and doesn't look like he's going to. Shame but money talks in most cases.

The new season offers a mixture of trepidation and at the same time excitement for me. Who knows what this team's gonna be like? I think we've recruited well, players are young and in some cases come here with a decent pedigree and by that i mean they've come through academies at big clubs. I have high hopes for most of them, some will be dud, others will shine.

We certainly have the right manager here. Hecky is clued up, calm, intelligent, a motivator and bases his philosophy on hard work, teamwork and playing football the right way with a good passing style. What i also noticed last season was the steel we had in the ranks, very few teams out muscled us. With such a low average age we could easily have been bullied but that was last season, we had certain players who unfortunately are no longer here with physical presence. I hope that physicality continues into this season, albeit with new players.

I don't really have any expectations apart from strengthening the attack, that is a must. I'll just be interested to see how this young team can do. If I'm honest i think we'll struggle initially, if things set off slowly it'll be a big test of character for the lads but i have a lot of faith in Hecky, as i said, calm, intelligent and clued up.

If we should start slowly it'd be a shame if the doom mongers in the stands turned on the team, let's face it, some Reds fans aren't exactly renowned for their patience and they make themselves heard in the stands. That is not a slur on them, far from it. They're obviously entitled to their opinion but it doesn't help matters, having said that i never really heard much criticism in the matches i went to last season. Heckys teams give it their all and tha can't ask fo much mooar.

It's certainly going to be an interesting season, that's the beauty of following this club, it's always a rollercoaster of emotions. To make any predictions would be crazy so I'm not gonna. What's your thoughts on this coming season guys and also What's your thoughts on what has happened in the transfer market?

I'm looking forward to the season.
    No more journeymen. No more pals from previous clubs.
    Keen young players who want to further their careers. A true meritocracy. The right way for me.
    Huddersfield didn't spend a fortune- look where they are I say.
    Davies, McCarthy, Angus, Lindsay, Mallan look more than capable to name but a few. Another target man would be nice- though Payne and Brown have pleasantly surprised.
    We'll probably lose more than we win in reality, but as long as they give 100% I'll be happy. Can't remember saying "so-and-so hasn't pulled his weight today" for a long time. We give it a proper go- we won't be relegated.
    Just MHO

If Hecky sets us up the right way with 4-5-1 off the ball and 4-3-3 in attack and doesn't faff with starting 11 we'll be fine. I've no doubt he'll show faith in Moncur and Mowatt. I'd like to see him try and accomodate Mallan into a forward role too. So if we can keep those free fit and in the same 11 we'll have a good season. A new left back to replace Yiadom an extra winger. A work horse striker to replace Watkins effort (hopefully with more striking prowess) and an out n' out number 9 and we'll be fine. Not asking alot I know We'll be fine. Agree it might take time but we'll be fine.

The close season has pretty much gone like most of us thought . The out of contract players have refused to re sign and gone to other clubs for more money. We've sold one player for good money and it looks like another will be on his way.

We've made what looks like some decent signings who all fit the remit the club has said they are looking for in a player. We seem to have loads of options in the middle and Hecky must see that as the key area of the pitch. We've got Isgrove back which is what a lot of fans seemed to want and signed some good defenders and I don't think Roberts will be missed too much .

If it was up to me I'd have dug my heels in a bit over Yiadom and kept him until January and reassessed then if we needed him for the rest of the season or if we could afford to let him go . We have got a replacement in for him already though.

The other thing I'd have liked to have seen is us spend some decent money on another striker. A lower league one would have been fine but someone who was on our books and has potential to bang them in .

From what I've heard we have been trying and something could still happen but the club have found it hard to get who they want . .

It's gonna be tough this year and anything above the relegation zone will be a success. We'd be able to build again then.

One good thing is with all the uncertainty around the owner and sponsor we're in a good healthy position. Not saddled with debt and not paying wages way beyond our income with most of the squad tied down on long contracts. So if the worst happens , the squad can't just walk away for nothing , we're only paying top league 1 wages anyway and we won't have to have a fire sale.

on the basis of what i have seen pre season and the players sold and aquired, realisticly 4th bottom would be an acheivement. that said were gonna be unknowns again so who knows? all i do know is i will be dragging my son to Bristol for the first game and we shall see how we do in a proper competetive game. yids definitely going then? McCarthy not a bad replacement.

We need a leader i haven't seen anyone who stands out at the moment

I always think the leader should be in the engine room. However, if I had to choose out of the current crop it would have to be Davies.