+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Takeover

I would definitely change the name of club and ground if it meant Premeirship football and the subsequent £millions pouring into the local economy

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I would definitely change the name of club and ground if it meant Premeirship football and the subsequent £millions pouring into the local economy

Why how much do you think we'd get for naming rights of Oakwell ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    For when I sell the ground and surrounding land East Stand with my Grandma Joking aside, I'd rather have all my eggs in one basket and full control over everything.
    Only trouble is when the fly by night Chinese owners come in it will be they who have control over all the ground not people with the best interest of the club at heart and once they own 100% there's nothing that can be done to stop them doing what they want .

The only reason some Chinese would be interested in buying Barnsley FC is because they see we are turning a profit and would think they could make money out of BFC by taking a cut of profits or selling the land imo

Changing the names of things I'm totally dead against. However, nudger has a point. Premiership football would bring big business to this town. This area could do with a boost in its economy.

Could i just point out Cardiff City though. Where are they now compared to just a couple or 3 years ago? Their stadium is half empty now, bearing in mind this is the capital of Wales and they have a far bigger catchment area than a town like ours. They now consolidate in mid table. Had they not gotten Warnock in last season it's no exaggeration to suggest that they could be starting out the season in lg1 next week. I don't know the ins and outs but something went wrong after they were relegated from the Prem. Their owner ripped the heart and soul out of that club to start with. They had relative success but thats all water under the bridge as far as i can see. I wonder what their debt currently stands at? Would we really like that to happen to us?

If I were buying a business East Stand I'd want to have full control and own all it's assets. I think that is the one thing that put's perspective buyers off if I'm honest.

What's stopping a mega rich business taking us over and using Oakwell until a new ground is built? If I were the council I'd be hoping it gets taken off my hands. What good's half of it to them?

It doesn't happen though does it . Only maybe to Bournemouth which is one of the richest parts of the country . Other clubs our size like Huddersfield and Burnley have rich fans owning them . Foreign owners who buy medium size clubs like ours usually leave them in turmoil. Can't think of any success stories.

There are no success stories. Not at our level or below anyway.
    Orient are out of the league now. Their foreign owner did a runner and nobody was getting paid.
    Notts County were taken over by a middle East consortium and hired Sven. They signed Sol Campbell on silly wages. He played one game and left. Where are they now?
    Forest thought all their prayers had been answered when they were taken over. It turned out to be a nightmare.
    Birmingham were taken over by a con man that's now in prison for money laundering. Now they've got Chinese owners who sacked Rowett last season when they were 5th so they could hire a 'name' (Zola). They could and should have gone down.
    Portsmouth went bust a dropped through the divisions after foreign 'investment'.
    Blackburn & Charlton have regular demonstrations against their foreign investors.
    Cardiff had one season in the sun, Changed the colour of the kit and now are no better off than us.
    Hull chairman wants to change their name.
    QPR had formula 1 guys and supermodels in the stands. What have they achieved?
    Fulham & Villa have foreign owners and spend fortunes. Not really pulling up any trees.
    The first thing foreign owners would do is get rid of our top asset, Paul Heckingbottom.
    Then fill our team with players whose nanes you can't pronounce.
    One thing's for sure. They wouldn't have our best interests at heart.
    No thanks. Count me out.

Hodger what happens when Cryne dies mate? I'd rather take a chance on foreign owners than risk no club at all. The clubs only self sufficient due to hefty transfer fees being received and loans from the Cryne family.

That's the reason I think being taken over asap is our best option. Whose paying the bills when Cryne does pass mate?

Maurice Watkins a guy with no affinity to the club only employed as chairman? Barry Taylor a man who isn't exactly renowned for putting his hand in his pocket is he?

Gauthier Ganaye. Chief executive only employed by the club?

The club needs investment and a new board of directors formulating fast made up of prominent local business man if it isn't going to be taken over and fast. Otherwise it risks going tits up.

It could still remain within the Cryne family steve for a good number of years given our sustainability financially .

We would possibly need to hire a chairman full time but there's nothing to suggest this couldn't happen after Patrick sadly passes .

Animal it's changing the subject but the principals the same. What happened to Warren Place after Henry Cecil passed away? Lady Cecil took over the stable and dealt with the owners meeting obligations the family had. It was then sold off and there is no representation of the Cecil family left in horse racing. As she no longer wished to carry on in name only.

Back to us I think it's a case of wait n' see unfortunately. I just hope the ride isn't as bumpy as it was in 2002-2003. When the club was left in limbo and Peter Doyle was waiting to sell it off.

Would you part with money on something you were trying to sell off Animal? I hope we can stay in the Championship mate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast