+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The crazy money in football

Quote Originally Posted by Redstew View Post
    What a murky seedy mess this all is.
    Your average punter stands back watching, powerless to do anything about what they can see unfolding in front of them.
    An entrepreneur however, would see it as "progression and business".
    Long gone is the thinking that if you win the premier league you get the spoils. Nowadays, there is no need to win the premier league for a side to be seen as successful.
    There have been casualties in the past due to financial issues and there will be more in the future, of that there is no doubt.
    My view is, that it is unsustainable. It will eventually all implode. Maybe not for a few years but it will happen.
    They've said it for 20 years now and if anything the PL gets ever larger and the money spent and earned beyond comprehension .

I agree though it will burst because that's what capitalism is all about , boom and bust , the finance industry was the classic case .

As in line with other capitalist models those who sit on the top floor won't be around to clean up the mess .

That will be left to the fans and a few local volunteer businessmen to salvage what they can from the corpse and try to carry on .

They stole the game , not for the love of the game but the love of power and money .

Personally as Labour PM I'd nationalise the industry and return it to the fans , sort the capitalists out quick sticks .

Maximum wage and capped ticket prices , let the foreigners feck off to La Liga , Serie A and the French League so they can bankrupt themselves within the EU although the Germans have more sense than to entertain them .

Once the game is back under control the FA can have it back on a target related basis , any nonsense and they will lose it for good the next time .

JC FOR PM

Do you know which team spent the 10th most out of all English clubs in this summer’s transfer window? Go on, have a guess.
    It was recently relegated Middlesbrough, who currently sit ninth in the Championship after five matches.
    In an attempt to bounce back to the Premier League at the first time of asking, Garry Monk outspent West Ham, West Brom and Burnley, and forked out almost as much as Arsenal, with over half of the £47m spent by the Teessiders going on two strikers: Britt Assombalonga from Nottingham Forest and Toulouse’s Martin Braithwaite.

Of course, Middlesbrough aren’t the only big-spending Championship club in recent years, but they do represent an emerging subdivision of sides; those that span the top two tiers of English football and have either rich owners, parachute payments or both. Let’s call it the Premiership.

Six of the best
    Sky Sports would never admit it, but outside of the Premier League’s top six there are a lot of very average teams. Last season, there were just six points between Watford in 17th and Southampton in eighth, with Everton 15 points ahead of the Saints but still eight points behind Manchester United.

The aim of these clubs at the start of the season is simple: don’t get relegated. The likes of Stoke, Southampton and West Brom probably have more reasonable expectations of achieving that than the rest, but even then-champions Leicester showed last year how easy it can be to slip into trouble when you don’t belong to that elite group of six.
    These ‘Premiership’ clubs don’t only exist in the bottom half of the Premier League. In terms of quality, the teams at the top end of the Championship aren’t much worse, but the division remains competitive from top to bottom. Put in our best Mick McCarthy drawl: on their day, anyone can beat anyone.

But England’s second tier has changed in recent years. Not the bit about anyone being able to beat anyone – that’s still true – but the money spent can now reach Premier League levels. Last season Aston Villa had the most expensively assembled squad in Championship history, having shelled out £72m across the two transfer windows – and that doesn’t take wages into account either. They finished 13th.
    This summer’s transfer window only served to shift things further. Huddersfield spent biggest of the promoted clubs, parting with £45m to sign the likes of Steve Mounie, Tom Ince and Aaron Mooy; Brighton spent the least, missing out on two strikers as the minutes ticked away on deadline day. Despite two of the three teams breaking their transfer records (three times in Brighton’s case), none of them spent enough for even one Kyle Walker.

Kyle Walker realises he's the barometer of every English transfer this summer
    Those figures are comparable to the clubs they need to beat to survive. Outside of the top six, clubs spent an average of £46.3m – and that’s with Everton’s £135m push to join the elite skewing the figures. Take the Toffees out and the number falls below £40m – still less than Boro’s summer spending spree.

Best of the rest
    Parachute payments were brought in to stop clubs going out of business when they drop out of the Premier League. That theory is still sound, but combined with the extra TV money they receive upon making it to the so-called ‘Promised Land’, it’s becoming harder to tell the difference between a bottom-end Premier League club and promotion-chasing Championship one.

There are eight teams in the second tier with parachute payments (around £60m paid over four seasons): Cardiff, Hull, Middlesbrough, QPR, Fulham, Villa, Sunderland and Norwich. Of the 20 teams in the Premier League today, six of them have spent time in the Championship since Cardiff went down in 2014.
    Middlesbrough have made back a lot of what they’ve spent by offloading players they bought with their Premier League cash, but without those parachute payments that money would surely have gone towards making up the shortfall.

Add in teams such as Wolves, Reading, Derby or Sheffield Wednesday – with rich owners who are willing to bankroll their clubs' pushes towards the Premier League – and the sleeping giants of Leeds and Forest. That leaves a host of teams that, thanks to Financial Fair Play, have minimal hope of joining the upper reaches of the Championship, plus far more difficult circumstances for teams coming up from League One.

The little guys
    There will always be exceptions. Huddersfield truly broke the mould last season, and while it’s true that there was money behind Brighton’s eventual promotion, the Seagulls didn’t spend on players in a way that promoted sides have done previously.

Even so, this increasingly inverted Premier League replica leaves little hope for teams such as Preston, Burton and Barnsley, who spent a combined £2.2m this window (and half of that going on North End’s new goalkeeper Declan Rudd).
    There are other ways to raise funds, of course, and Barnsley have done well in recent years through good old-fashioned player sales; Burton, meanwhile, pocketed around £2m from the sale of Jackson Irvine to Hull. But selling your best players won’t win you games.

Preston’s mid-table finish last season should certainly provide hope, but these teams – all looking to David Wagner’s Terriers for inspiration – start each season merely hoping to survive while the moneyed clubs above them fight for their turn at the top table. Each season, three clubs come down supported by parachute payments and the whole process starts again.

Cushioning the blow
    Premier League chiefs would argue that they are simply sharing the wealth, and without parachute payments there’s no doubt relegated clubs would be in serious trouble. The average income in the Championship last year was £22m, while a club coming down from the Premier League is likely to have a wage bill of £40m+. You don’t need to be Carol Vorderman to work out that those numbers don’t go.

Despite the inequalities, not everyone believes parachute payments are causing more problems than they solve. As Kieran Maguire, an expert on football finance from Liverpool University tells FFT: “The alternative is financial meltdown as clubs struggle to pay wages.
    “Parachute payments do allow relegated clubs to spend more on player recruitment, but it still needs to be spent well. With so many clubs in the Championship under new or foreign ownership there is already plenty of competition, regardless of parachute payments.”

There’s no going back. The genie’s out of the bottle – and with Financial Fair Play effectively putting an end to any club just spending its way into the elite, ultimately the logical (if not entirely palatable) conclusion for many fans is for the Premier League’s top teams to break away and join Europe’s other free-spending clubs in a so-called Super League.
    That’s usually seen as detrimental to the health of the clubs left behind, but in terms of competitiveness it might not be the worst thing that could happen.

Shuffling the pack
    Depending on how many of the top six departed, those clubs that can drop £75m+ on a single player would be gone, with more of the ‘Premiership’ teams able to compete in the country’s newly established top division. Restructuring below would arguably help those teams that currently struggle in the Championship, and allow space for more competition from League One.
    Provided attendances were maintained, financial expert Maguire believes the new league would be still be attractive to broadcasters and do reasonably well – although revenues would take a serious hit. “The international rights, which are currently worth £3bn over three years, would collapse to next to nothing,” he predicts, “and the domestic rights – currently £5bn over the same period – would drop to less than £1bn.”

Nobody in the Far East and beyond really wants to watch Watford or Crystal Palace, then, but given the popularity of the Football League in this country there’s no reason to believe the appeal for match-going fans would suddenly evaporate just because Manchester United have denied those left behind the opportunity to see Chris Smalling play.
    With plenty of fans already feeling pretty disillusioned by the actions of the top six, supporters of clubs like Newcastle, Leeds and Everton might even welcome the opportunity to compete for the title of English champions once again.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...RwjwmjkIZmX.99

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

I agree though it will burst because that's what capitalism is all about , boom and bust , the finance industry was the classic case .

As in line with other capitalist models those who sit on the top floor won't be around to clean up the mess .

That will be left to the fans and a few local volunteer businessmen to salvage what they can from the corpse and try to carry on .

Sound familiar ? Oakwell 2017 anyone ?

Football ticket and season ticket prices in 1981

Name:  IMG_3752.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  96.2 KB

It's a long time ago ESR and obviously that needs factoring in but none the less it just shows the gap between wages and going to football was in tandem .

Fast forward today and it's a different story , they've got away with now and that is that I'm afraid .

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Sound familiar ? Oakwell 2017 anyone ?
    The club managed to bust itself 15 years ago with a local chairman and board in charge SB .

Just for balance mi owd :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's a long time ago ESR and obviously that needs factoring in but none the less it just shows the gap between wages and going to football was in tandem .

Fast forward today and it's a different story , they've got away with now and that is that I'm afraid .

10p dearer to watch Barnsley in Div 3 than Man City in Div 1, scandalous

A thowt that wo ITV Digital going t1ts up Animal.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A thowt that wo ITV Digital going t1ts up Animal.
    It was and it wasn't SB , we spent money upfront that we didn't have and when ITV digital went bust we were left high n dry and in administration .

A six and two threes you might say .

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Football ticket and season ticket prices in 1981

Name:  IMG_3752.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  96.2 KB

Interesting read that ESR. Has inflation gone up by that amount in the same period of time? I doubt it. However, there are factors to take into consideration such as the Taylor report, Premier LG, players wages etc for price increases to go up so dramatically in 36 years.

Now we sit in comfort with unobstructed views, a roof over our heads to keep the rain off, indoor bogs in most cases, tv's on the concourse etc. These kind of facilities are the norm to the younger generation, they've never seen owt else unless they went to Altrincham!

Me personally, I preferred the old grounds. It's daft really cos tha got pyss wet through, fenced in, pushed abart and crushed, more often than not tha gorra terrible vantage point, especially at away grounds but that's what I grew up with.

It were simply watching thi team laik wi thousands of other like minded folk. Tha felt like tha belonged, it weren't a rip off and certainly affordable to the average blowk on the street.

Now it's a different world but safety wise it's been for the better.

Along with the new stands and stadia came corporate hospitality. Indeed, we were the first club in Yorkshire to boast such facilities when the East Stand was built in 1993. Ironic really when nubdy rarnd here's gorra pot to pyss in yet the Sheffield giants were still in the footballing stone age whilst both laikin in the newly formed premier league.

That was it for football, along with Sky, the new stadia and the reformed structure of the league's football would never be the same again.

Thinking about prices in 1981 you have to say football was on its arse with hooliganism. I haven't done any research but I bet the average attendance was way darn back then on what it is today. Ironically yet again, I know we hit a boom around that time and BFC was thriving, crowds up massively from what we'd had 5 years earlier.

Club's were trying to attract fans but many had had enough of the trouble and weren't gonna go until some kind of order was restored. Tough times for some club's.

I notice both the SCAB club's were charging top whack, southern prices for an almost northern city. Then again I've always had the fekkers darn as southern wannabes. Forest were at their height and County were just well....County.

Summat doesn't ad up though with most clubs on that chart. It works out more expensive to buy a season ticket than to pay at the turnstile and stand every week. Certainly not like that now is it. It's the 11th commandment- thou shalt buy a season ticket or tha not a reight supporter and we'll price thi art.

Joking aside I think football has held the supporters to ransom and continues to do so. Many are saying enough is enough including me. My love and loyalty to football over the years doesn't make me a fool yet they're treating the fans as just that in my opinion.

Preston are charging abart the reight price on setdy fo me. We have great value in season tickets it has to be said. However, tha needs thi eeard testin to pay them swillsbro prices. No offence to the loyal supporters that do pay ridiculously high ticket prices but surely they can see the end of the road by now and when enough is enough. Maybe not, I don't know. Maybe it's me being tight.

I really hope these prospective new owners don't go down this route. I'll wait and be very interested to hear their views and what their plans are.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast