+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Motherwell scrape past Edinburgh City to win the group

Motherwell scrape past Edinburgh City to win the group

Motherwell struggled to defeat Edinburgh City but they win Group F. We had many chances to finish the game but after losing the lead late goals from Cadden and Frear ended the tie.
    - External Link

Not overly concerned yet. A poor, tight pitch; lots of new players bedding in; and opponents out to prove a point a point, parking a bus - all the ingredients needed for an upset. We created loads of chances but failed to take most of them. The manager will now be close to finalising his ideal line up for the opening of the new league campaign. The introduction of Cadden last night certainly turned the game in our favour. The main thing is that we won.

A new ground visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    Not overly concerned yet. A poor, tight pitch; lots of new players bedding in; and opponents out to prove a point a point, parking a bus - all the ingredients needed for an upset. We created loads of chances but failed to take most of them. The manager will now be close to finalising his ideal line up for the opening of the new league campaign. The introduction of Cadden last night certainly turned the game in our favour. The main thing is that we won.

A new ground visited.
    Indeed - having heard reports from people at the game, I was fair bracing myself for the highlights - but while I appreciate they only show a snapshot, we could easily have had that tie won comfortably by half time.

The fact we didn't, though, just reinforces my view that for all we've no doubt improved, it will only be worth a fraction if we're without Moult for whatever reason. You can either look at performances like that and take the positive that you've done well but for an off night in front of goal or consider it proof there's a big problem waiting.

Now I'm nowhere near the most negative on here but I really don't think anyone believes it's the former, not the latter, in our case.

Cadden, boosted by a handful of cup goals v lower league opponents, might just hit double figures this season but there's absolutely zilch to suggest anyone else from last night will get close.

I think, or perhaps hope, that our side with Moult hitting 18-20 league goals is likely to be by and large safe from relegation and may even push towards sixth. Without him, we'll be doing well to get a nervous ninth or 10th.

Don't totally disagree that Moult's indeed our current talisman, but I saw enough last night, and in the game last weekend, that when Fisher first hits the net, he could blossom and be a good asset. That, coupled to Bowman's good recent form doesn't make me think it's all about Louis.

Maybe. I certainly hope you're right.

I wasn't convinced by Fisher signing but perhaps it's just my bias that a 27-year-old with nine permanent clubs to his name at a season a time will do little for us. He certainly put himself about and perhaps a goal will see him hit a streak.

But I think if we're relying on Bowman for goals we're in trouble...his good form has some pretty big caveats.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)