+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the new season

Thoughts on the new season

Its always difficult to predict what will happen and Rowett will no doubt fashion are hard working hard to beat side, but looking at the clubs in this division, I don't think more than a top 6 place is realistic.

Of the clubs relegated, Hull seem to be the ones likely not to amount to much, Boro are spending and Monk is a good manager, villa, have money and Bruce is no mug in this division. Sunderland could be a surprise package, they have cash and Grayson may be the guy to steady the ship but feel it will take a season or two of rebuilding.

Reading came close last season and will be up there again, Fulham are signing players and look to be a threat, will 'arry work his magic at Brum? There seems to be money to spend and he has the experience to progress from where Rowett got them.

Norwich ahve gone down the german manager route and making one or two signings so they must be top 6 material. whilst the Owls have also strengthened. Wolves having chnaged manager again are signing players that on paper should make them a force to be reckoned with.

The surprise team could be Sheff Utd carrying on their promotion form to be a top 6 championship side.

At this stage i'd say

Villa to win it with Boro in the second spot.

Reading
    Norwich
    Fulham
    Sheff Wed
    Derby
    Sheff Wed
    Birmingham
    Wolves
    Sheff Utd to fight it out for a playoff place.

I think in the last few years the whole balance has changed, to me the Premier League now extends at least half way down the Championship in everything but name (and income!). Derby are as likely to finish twelfth as top, not through lack of graft but simply by playing better teams, we purport to be a 'big club' but so what, so do many others around us.

Impossible to call...all those teams Swale mentioned, except Birmingham imo, but plus Sunderland, Hull, Leeds and Cardiff will be in with a shout. Squads aren't even fully assembled yet and as far as I know Sheff.Wed are only fielding one team in the Championship.
    Agree Sheffield United might be outsiders...and Bristol City too, but although a good start would make a useful change we're still probably five months from having any clear idea.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-07-2017 at 09:33 PM.

We'll need to play better than what we just have tonight if we want to finish top half that's for sure

After watching the Northampton game tonight , we look well short of whats required
    Midfield can't dominate possession
    Nugent Anya look dire ,where's the skill coming from in the final third
    Olsen has that guy ever stopped a cross
    From what I saw the team that started apart from Mitchell Davies need outing
    I just can't see any ball control up front ,whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Impossible to call...all those teams Swale mentioned, except Birmingham imo, but plus Sunderland, Hull, Leeds and Cardiff will be in with a shout. Squads aren't even fully assembled yet and as far as I know Sheff.Wed are only fielding one team in the Championship.
    Agree Sheffield United might be outsiders...and Bristol City too, but although a good start would make a useful change we're still probably five months from having any clear idea.
    Well spotted with duplicate Wed AR! Though you kind of missed the point by sitting on the fence and saying its impossible to call, the idea is to have a go at the impossible task!

Cardiff are a mess, the owner wants to sell and they are losing players, Hull in much the same circumstances, Leeds having lost Monk could struggle but may be contenders, who knows with that owner? I'm not sure why you rate Bristol City, they will be mid table at best. Brum are the dark horses, because the new owners have got funds and 'arry has the know how to get them playing.

Of course Forest may have a renaissance!

This league is a tough one to call but its fun trying!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well spotted with duplicate Wed AR! Though you kind of missed the point by sitting on the fence and saying its impossible to call, the idea is to have a go at the impossible task!

Cardiff are a mess, the owner wants to sell and they are losing players, Hull in much the same circumstances, Leeds having lost Monk could struggle but may be contenders, who knows with that owner? I'm not sure why you rate Bristol City, they will be mid table at best. Brum are the dark horses, because the new owners have got funds and 'arry has the know how to get them playing.

Of course Forest may have a renaissance!

This league is a tough one to call but its fun trying!
    Right...so I'm sitting on the fence by saying it's 'impossible to call' in July but I'm also wrong by pointing out that you missed four teams who might, imo, be in the mix come ten months time. Can't 'kin win in your world.
    So...my top six for the end of 2017-18 in this totally futile excercise will be...Villa, Boro', Sunderland, Derby, Wolves and Fulham...no 'fence sitting' but probably complete bollux too.

Hope all goes well for us this season but with whats come in and what's gone out at the club I'm not impressed! Going for 8th with what players we have at the moment but fingers crossed for a top 6 finish.

I'd say you were optimistic MOP. With the squad stripped of creativity by sales I doubt we will be top half - but the rebuilding isnt over yet so projecting where we will finish is a futile exercise.

If we reinvest and ditch some of the residual dross we may be top 10. If Weiman can shine and Vydra refinds his mojo maybe top 8, even 6. Any better than that will be a ****ing miracle.

But its all ifs at the moment. Ask me at end of August! For now I can only speculate onhow squads will evolve and guess Villa and Middlesbro for auto based on quality of manager

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I'd say you were optimistic MOP. With the squad stripped of creativity by sales I doubt we will be top half - but the rebuilding isnt over yet so projecting where we will finish is a futile exercise.

If we reinvest and ditch some of the residual dross we may be top 10. If Weiman can shine and Vydra refinds his mojo maybe top 8, even 6. Any better than that will be a ****ing miracle.

But its all ifs at the moment. Ask me at end of August! For now I can only speculate onhow squads will evolve and guess Villa and Middlesbro for auto based on quality of manager
    Maybe Rowett has seen where 'creativity' (without a bit of steel to support it) has got us recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)