+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on the new season

I think we are looking at a very open league, and I don't think at present we have enough to really expect anything. Judging by last night, I think Rowett played his best squad available, but started with the weakest 11, and it just shows how short we are if anyone becomes injured.

I would honestly be pulling names out of a hat in any prediction at this stage, I just hope we can bring in some positive signings before too long.

As our squad stands at the m

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I'd say you were optimistic MOP. With the squad stripped of creativity by sales I doubt we will be top half - but the rebuilding isnt over yet so projecting where we will finish is a futile exercise.

If we reinvest and ditch some of the residual dross we may be top 10. If Weiman can shine and Vydra refinds his mojo maybe top 8, even 6. Any better than that will be a ****ing miracle.

But its all ifs at the moment. Ask me at end of August! For now I can only speculate onhow squads will evolve and guess Villa and Middlesbro for auto based on quality of manager
    Total sense. How things turn out depends on so much...above all at this moment, what additions we - and others - make in the next five weeks and preferably sooner.

We can certainly do with boosting our attacking options.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Right...so I'm sitting on the fence by saying it's 'impossible to call' in July but I'm also wrong by pointing out that you missed four teams who might, imo, be in the mix come ten months time. Can't 'kin win in your world.
    So...my top six for the end of 2017-18 in this totally futile excercise will be...Villa, Boro', Sunderland, Derby, Wolves and Fulham...no 'fence sitting' but probably complete bollux too.
    Yes you pointed out four teams with nothing to say why you thought they should be in the mix! I know its impossible to call, otherwise the Bookies would be skint, thats kind of the point, look at what we know and give an opinion.

**** me this Forum used to be full of debates and opinions now its a ****ing bore fest!

If want to extend this subject Swale, then what about the teams who will struggle ?
    My team Barnsley will be down there and so will Burton again, and I think Bolton, Preston, Millwall, QP.Rangers, Brentford and hopefully Bristol City will all find it tough.
    As for a few surprise strugglers, maybe Ipswich, Sheff Wensday, & Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    If want to extend this subject Swale, then what about the teams who will struggle ?
    My team Barnsley will be down there and so will Burton again, and I think Bolton, Preston, Millwall, QP.Rangers, Brentford and hopefully Bristol City will all find it tough.
    As for a few surprise strugglers, maybe Ipswich, Sheff Wensday, & Wolves.
    The relegation pack? Burton, bolton, bristol city, Millwall, theres always a surprise team so I will pick Hull because they are a shambles and could do a Wigan. onthe edge but mid table - Cardiff, brentford, not sure about your lot, barnsley were certainly a surprise last year and though they have sold players on, you usually pick up some useful loans so I think lower mid table. QPR are a conundrum, could be top 6 or bottom 6. Sheff Wednsday have a good manager and have strengthened their team, expect them to be top 6.

Forest will be mid table upwards, possibly better than we think. Ipswich will be solid mid table - not much money but McCarthy has been there done that its dull its predictable but ultimately he will do what he is paid to do, keep the club in the championship on a shoe string.

Wolves could go either way, an unknown manager but plenty of dosh, I don't see them in the relegation struggle, but on the fringes of the play offs.

If i was going to have an outside bet for promotion now(either auto or via playoff), to get the best price I'd go for Sheff Wednesday.
    Last edited by swaledale; 26-07-2017 at 07:58 PM.

We need to replace Ince

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    If i was going to have an outside bet for promotion now (either auto or via playoff), to get the best price I'd go for Sheff Wednesday.

Only reason Im saying Sheff Wensday might struggle is because some teams who consistently fail in the play offs eventually end up going the other way out of the division!
    I think Mick Mac was lucky last season because the Ipswich fans were turning against him and this season will surely be his last chance to do something of note there.
    And although Bolton are facing yet another so called winding up order, they will get away with this one again. How can they be allowed to rack up the debts they have for so long ?. They will surely struggle this time.

Cool new season

We seem to have addressed some of the issues wanting serious attention from last season. The addition of Davies is a major plus from what I have seen in pre-season friendlies in which he has featured. Adding stability at the back and hopefully a steadying influence. Just need to find him a partner at the back who he can work with and trust. Not sure if Keogh is up to it, or Pearce to be honest.

Defensively and attacking wise the purchase of Wisdom seems to be a very good one. I was impressed with his coolness on the ball and defending the last time he was at the club. With his experience of winning in Austria and at Liverpool etc he has to be another major plus for the squad.

I was sceptical about the purchase of Tom Huddlestone, his age is against him but he proved to me the other night in the friendly that you don't have to be a spring chicken if you have a footballing brain and move to the right positions at the right time, making your own time on the ball and stroking silky smooth passes to the forwards. I couldn't see who was going to be supplying the forwards after the departure of Hughes but am now looking forward to seeing Huddlestone in league action.

Hopefully the attack will form some sort of understanding and the return of a rejuvenated Martin may be all we need with a helping hand from Nugent, or the attacking midfielders. I would however like to see either another recognised striker brought in or Bennett given his chance this season. He has looked good in pre-season

Overall I think we have progressed from the stagnant squad we had last season and with players coming back from serious injury we have to be in with a chance of a decent season. Can't see a top two finish but hope for a top six and good go at the Play-off's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)